crash testing R34

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
King GT-R

so i was dreaming the other day, and i thought about something. would it be possible to import a few r34 shells and equip them with motors and get them crash tested to receive results that you could then use to make the modifications to the r34 shell to make it fmvss legal? i would imagine after this point all you would need to do is figure out the system of making the rb26 motor legal, which i've looked through some things on the net and there are proposed ideas for doing so. i have tried contacting the dot but im guessing they were closed for the day when i called.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

You will be met with so much resistance from the NHTSA and EPA it's not funny nor will it be worth it, IMO.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

JK Technologies. Nugget provided.

King GT-R

in all honesty i couldnt afford to do this right at the moment but i figured it could be done on the cheap by sourcing a couple bnr's from overseas and importing them specifically to be crashed, i found some good deals on them in austrailia and the uk, so i dont see how it could cost millions of dollars to find out what needs to be reinforced/changed. im not looking to profit from this in any way but i do want to see these cars legalized, and if i could immediately afford to crash a couple of them i would totally do it so that i could inform everyone of what needs to be done to make the chassis legal. just so everyone could enjoy their cars worry free. if you know anyone thats willing to go in on this deal to find out let me know :naughty:

themadscientist

King GT-R wrote:i figured it could be done on the cheap
I'm sure you mean well, but you are already wired to fail on this. Certain members of this forum who shall go unnamed in case they wish to recuse themselves from this thread could explain to you in exact dollar figures how off your assumption is, but I will tell you, it's way off.

tyndago

First off, not to be a killer of dreams, but its nearly impossible to do. Not the actual crash testing, that would be easy. Its the rest of it that is the hard part.

The tests themselves are only about $25k to conduct. However, the DOT might want to see a few. They might even want to see some oddities(unbelted front impact, offset testing). If the tests go right, or they go wrong, you pay either way.

Once you have done crash testing, then what about EPA? Are you going to try and sell cars in California, or cars with California emissions? Then you need ARB approval. To do it legally, its a very difficult process, not designed to be easy. Not designed for people to get cars they want, rather to protect the major manufacturers here in the US.

Unlike most other people you will talk to, I have been personally involved with crash testing Nissan Skylines. I have been standing in the same room as an R33 was side impact tested. I was actually hit with glass from the side window, even though we were a good distance from the car. I was also preparing another car for crash testing prior to the DOT's magic wave over the remaining Motorex cars back in 2006.

In the grand scheme of things, it would be easier to run for congress, get in, and push legislation to change the rules, than get a car though the system in place at the DOT, to get a Nissan Skyline approved.

Best bet is to wait until they are 25 years old. If you can't wait, and have a very large bank account, we can talk seriously, if not keep playing Gran Turismo.
Last edited by tyndago on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themadscientist

My R32 in GT would spank your azz man. Better rekanize.

tyndago

themadscientist wrote:My R32 in GT would spank your azz man. Better rekanize.
I still like R32's better too.

themadscientist

I seem to skip years on the ones I like. Not too enthused about Hokosukas, but the Kenamaris oh baby. The Japan was meh. Love the 30, not too fond of the 31. Love the 32, damned-near hate the 33; Rs look better than the Ts, though. Love the 34 and I think my opinion on the latest iteration is well documented. Maybe the 36 will spin my wheels.

tyndago

themadscientist wrote:I seem to skip years on the ones I like. Not too enthused about Hokosukas, but the Kenamaris oh baby. The Japan was meh. Love the 30, not too fond of the 31. Love the 32, damned-near hate the 33; Rs look better than the Ts, though. Love the 34 and I think my opinion on the latest iteration is well documented. Maybe the 36 will spin my wheels.
I like the Hokosuka's, don't like the Kenmaris. 30-31 both are fine. Then the R32 over the rest.

I dig the R35 because we actually have it here in the US.

The R36.....probably not going to happen.

themadscientist

The R34 GT-R is a sick b****, but I can't bring it back so it's a non-starter. I think the R32 is the rawest R being the first and the simplest and the 32 lines are silky smooth like a JAV actresses a** and just as fast. The 34 exudes a terminator vibe. It's blocky and brutish and looks like it just wants to hurt other cars. I like that a lot. The RS kind of reminds me of Bruce Li. It's not the biggest and it doesn't talk much so you could be forgiven for underestimating it. When it decides it's time to whoop up on you, though, it takes care of business cold and impersonally. I wish mine wasn't so untouched, though. I can't bring myself to do anything crazy to it because it's so original and that's very rare. I might try to build a hot motor that looks completely stock and hide the go fast supporting cast somehow so it just looks like a clean original car.

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

my fav is the unloved type m's,why cause i got one, i just have to finish puting it together the right way,just to never drive it "in public" anyway untell 2015. but after i finish my trailer queen yall will be the first to know full built thread,promise

themadscientist

I've owned many Type Ms and they are hands-down the best bang for the buck. The RB20DET is not ruling the streets, but you have a respectable weapon that you can play with, some of the best handling I've experienced in a stock car, a striking aesthetic and reasonably cheap to maintain. The R32 GTS-T is the Japanese 5.0 Mustang in my opinion.

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

yeah i got it cuz i was on a buget and wanted a skyline badly,but its a realy good car and it quickly stole my heart, just wish i knew how to read japanise better so i can understand this dawm diagram,

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”