Corrosion control module

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
jetmonkee
Car: 2010 Rogue SL

Hello Everyone

New here, just picked up a 2010 SL. I have been doing some research on the corrosion control module and there is some good reviews and some bad. Just looking for some info on the subject, anyone have one installed, recommendations on what is a good one to buy.

Thanks

philipa_240sx

There are several electronic anti-corrosion devices advertised for cars. The technology was 'borrowed' from ships/boats. However there is a catch:

1) For these system to work on the entire car, a significantly large current must be used. A conventional car battery would be dead within a few hours at best.

2) It requires a complete electrical circuit. On a boat, the system uses water (lake/ocean) as a conductor from the steel hull back to the device. However, we don't drive our cars under water... and it does not rain 365 days a year!

Save your money. Wash your car regularly, and keep it clean... it will go a long way towards keeping it rust free.

Source: Jim Kerr, CanadianDriver.comRead more in this article: Auto Tech: Rust and rust prevention

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

philipa_240sx wrote:Save your money. Wash your car regularly, and keep it clean... it will go a long way towards keeping it rust free.
In addition to philipa's excellent advice... Todays cars (due to the environment and paint reformulation) do not have the tough paint finish like on the cars of yesterday. The paint used on today's automobiles chips much easier. Therefore, I highly recommend (if you don't already have them) is that you install splash guards.

All it takes is for your tires to throw up a couple rocks and you'll have paint chips (i.e rust magnets) on the underside of your doors and rocker panels. I have these on my Rogue, travel gravel roads every day. I'm coming up on one year with no paint chips due to thrown rocks... and the paint finish on my rear wheels still looks new (i.e., another area reported to show early paint chipping due to thrown gravel and rocks) .

Speaking of the underside of your doors, I would highly recommend you read thru this thread and take the necessary precautions (while you car is still new) to prevent paint failure at the bottom edge of your doors (which could also lead to premature rusting).

zer...age=3
Modified by Elton Noway at 7:44 PM 2/20/2010

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I agree, if you're going to worry about rust on a newer vehicle to the point of shelling out significant cash for an elaborate system, then you're probably carrying around a lot of other worries with you on daily basis and that's not healthy!!!

My advice, and just my personal opinion, is to relax and not worry about this. Do your basic maintenance including good wash techniques, more frequently in excessively dirty conditions, get up under the wheel wells and the underbody really well, and keep the paint finish waxed. The 3M paint protection film is a great product for preventing rock chips, it costs money but is worth the investment in my opinion.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend you check out the lower door sill scratch/corrsion thread that Elton provided above, this is one areas that will definately rust very quickly if you don't take prevenative measures.

I drive in pretty extreme winter conditions, with freeze/thaw, tons of sand gravel and salt use, and I expect my Rogue to go a good 10 years before I even think about rust forming on any of the body panels. I do take good care of it, but nothing excessive. And to be honest, surface rust on the undercarriage and some chasis components is a normal part of vehicle age, but for the most part these areas are not highly visible.

If after 15 years I start to see some rust around the wells etc. I'm not going to worry, the car will be getting close to the end of its life and I probably won't keep it that long anyway.

This is just my opinion, my point being you should enjoy your car and let go of the worry and stress, it'll give you years of "new-car" driving fun!

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

H
jetmonkee wrote:Hello Everyone

New here, just picked up a 2010 SL. I have been doing some research on the corrosion control module and there is some good reviews and some bad. Just looking for some info on the subject, anyone have one installed, recommendations on what is a good one to buy.

Thanks
Here's a good deal today:

Sym-Tech® Electronic Corrosion Control (ECC) Module helps protect against rust formation by delivering an alternating current and using "non-cathodic" capacitive coupling technology.

works 24 hours a day environmentally friendly does not interfere with computer or electrical systems low battery shut off no re-application or touch ups required transferable from one vehicle to another suitable for new and pre-owned vehicles

A protective charge gets into areas where rust starts.

A protective charge gets into crevices, and hidden areas where rust starts.

Usually cost $700 at dealerships. It's going for $76 on ebay with only 23 hours left.

Yippieeeeeeeee.....for coupon cutters, this is a steal.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/BRAND-NEW-S...87440

aheny

I am a Corrosion Technologist, and have been designing cathodic protection systems to protect pipelines for over 15 years.

There is a major scientific flaw in these "Corrosion Modules". In any system where corrosion is prevented, anodes are consumed. The exact amount of metal ions that are prevented from corroding in the structure must be consumed from the anodes. As these modules do not have large anodes that need to be replaced, they are not actually doing anything. Running a current through a metal does not prevent corrosion, if it did your cars existing common ground system would be all of the corrosion prevention you need. In fact, electrically, these modules are identical to your tail lights, if you were to run the negative lead from the light to the frame.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i would NEVER install something like this into my car.
i highly doubt the power of these small modules is strong enough to do anything worth its while on the car(unless its right next to the module and no further). plus im almost positive if you power these units to enough power to make them worth while you will be causing serious interferences with radio, satellite, navigation, etc.
everything in the car is grounded (negative battery terminal connected to chassis)

its best to simply wash and wax your car every 3 months and it will serve you for 10 plus years without issues. this is another sales gimmick like "paint sealer" & "window etching".

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Good point about the lack of sacrifical annode. I too work with cathodic protection systems on large buried pipelines, and the main components are sacrifical annode that deteriorates over time eventually needing replacement, and a large electric input. I wouldn't want a steady drain on my cars electric system, and if the manufacturer of these systems states that the charge/draw is very low, this would be one clue that they system won't do a darn bit of good. These systems are like snake-oil and magic bullets, sounds great, but it's too good to be true.

Save your money!

aheny

I remember reading an article written by a PhD NACE certified corrosion engineer who studied these devices. He found on average that they supplied mere picowatts of energy to the car, while consuming 40-50mA to power the small light. Most of these devices main function is powering the small blinking light, and having the rate of blink vary in order to assist people in their amusing anecdotes about what they think is occurring.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

ILL SELL YOU A MODULE FOR $250 THAT RAISES HORSEPOWER, MPG'S, MPH'S, AND REDUCES RUST.... lolololol

Qashqai

This is one of the easiest way for the dealer to make money. Just find a plastic box, connect it to the battery and done! Oh and don't forget a button and a green LED, so that the idiot owner of the car occasionally press that button to see if that miracle device is working or not.

In this case, I am the idiot owner. I have no idea how I felt into that trap? Next time, if I ever buy a new car, and the dealer offers me that thingie, I know what to say:

NO

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

rick-fle wrote:What is the best and secure corrosion monitoring system for subsea pipelines?
buddy... this is a car forum- not a pipeline forum lol/jk i doubt anyone in here has the knowledge to answer your question.

rdub2k4
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue S Special Edition
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

That's a bot bro.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

rdub2k4 wrote:That's a bot bro.
your right. just banned him :ban:

Return to “Rogue Forum”