Coolant Leak??

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
demonyoka420
Car: 1991 Nissan 300zx TT, 1989 Ford Bronco, 1991 & 92 240 sx's

My coolant has been leaking for about 2 weeks and i couldnt figure it out untill i bought a radiator cap with a pressure relief valve on it (since ive been refilling it about every 2 days or when it starts to run hot). When i relieve the pressure i noticed coolant squirting out of the top of the resevoir right out of the middle of the cap as well as leaking somewhere on the inside of it towards the engine. I found a used one online. Does this sound like the definite spot to where it is leaking? Also is there a write up or could someone give me a little step by step on how to replace this. I could probably figure it out but it definently makes it easier being able to follow something.

and would a leak like this cause me to lose any power???

Thanks!!

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

A leak like that could cause your motor to self-destruct.

a picture is worth a thousand words, but I have a hunch which hose(s) are leaking

demonyoka420
Car: 1991 Nissan 300zx TT, 1989 Ford Bronco, 1991 & 92 240 sx's

To self destruct? How would this happen? I know it only really leaks when getting on it more because the pressure builds. Where else should i check? I know the overflow tank is definently leaking from atleast one spot... i feel like ive checked the hoses and i cant see any that are leaking but i really wouldnt be suprised

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

There are many, dozens of coolant hoses and points of leaking on a Z32 TT.

If the coolant is coming from the front of the motor, I'd suspect the two hoses which connect to the upper water hardpipe.

The 14055 on the bottom there's 2 of them

gpelite
Car: 1990 300zx TT

Do a dye test, pick up a kit, and trace it. It usually has a bright color that is easy to see.

My coolant leak was on the sides of the radiator, cause instead of a full cast metal radiator companies save money with just a metal core and plastic sides that expand and contract with heat and eventually crack. Only under pressure does it leak. I have heard of this dozens of times.

If your still stumped have a shop do an inspection for 70 bucks and fix it yourself for cheaper if you want to with your own parts. Or have them do it for you....

Sometimes the knowledge is worth the diagnostic cost

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”