Converting XM to Sirius

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
cpt60
Car: rogue

Has anyone been able to convert their factory xm radio to sirius?

ncc1701
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD / 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5SE

Pretty sure this isn't possible without an extra antenna and receiver. But why would you want to do this since XM and Sirius now offer 99% the same programming?

philipa_240sx

ncc1701 wrote:Pretty sure this isn't possible without an extra antenna and receiver. But why would you want to do this since XM and Sirius now offer 99% the same programming?
This is correct. You need to buy the Nissan Sirius reciever and an antenna. Here are the part no's:

999U9-AS006 - Sirius Tuner for 2006+ Nissan vehicles999U9-VS003 - SIRIUS Under Glass Antenna Kit

The parts are easily +$200.

Like ncc1701 said, if you can get the Sirius programming now, why bother?

cpt60
Car: rogue

I already have sirius in my other vehicle and adding an additional radio is 6.99 verse 16.99 for the xm sirius package. I asked for the 6.99 and they told me they have never offered a 6.99 package and when I challenged him he hung up on me nice customer service.

lou from ny

anyone know if we can swap out the module ourselves? i've got the same issue. 2 sirius radios and now the XM in the rogue. they can't offer me multi-car discount since their computers aren't linked...

how STUPID!!

philipa_240sx

It shouldn't be that difficult. The sat radio module simply plugs in.

Please refer to Official Rogue FAQ. There is a link in the Facts section for the service manuals. Look at the AV section, it will show how the radio is installed.

BTW, I am unsure if the stock antenna will work with the part no's I provided above. The stock antenna is designed for XM, I believe Sirius is different.

dob

Yes, you can simply swap the XM receiver for a Sirius receiver and still use the stock antenna. The antenna jacks are slightly different, so yo need to shave down the piece to make it more circular.

There's actually less dropouts with the XM antenna than in my Xterra that has the Sirius sigma antenna on the windshield.

philipa_240sx

Thanks for posting that bit of information! Others contemplating the swap may find it useful.

lou from ny

dob,when you say receiver, you are talking about the box that is supposed to be in the drivers rear of the rogue, correct?

have you made this swap yourself? i'm interested about the shaving down of the jack.

any chance you have a model number of the sirius part you swapped for?

pictures perhaps?

sorry for the numerous questions, but i really didn't care for the attitude i got from XM over the phone.

thanks!

lou

philipa_240sx

Read more here:

zer...irius

This owner swapped the same 999U9-AS006 Sirius receiver I mentioned above into an '09 Murano. All that was required was a slight mod to the antenna connector. No separate antenna is required!

The 999U9-AS006 is the latest Nissan Sirius receiver and should work just fine in the Rogue. The parts listing shows that is compatible with most Nissan's with the BOSE 6CD/SAT ready from '06 up.

One note for Canadian's: The Rogue mid-level audio (6CD changer, non-BOSE) is NOT sat radio compatible.

lou from ny

i think i looked @ that post a while back. as usual, thanks Phillip. of course i was leery to buy the unit since the other car was a murano and not a rogue. yes it's a baby murano, but there might have been some differences so why not ask and be sure...right?

I'll have to try and look @ the antenna connector to see what the mod is.

I'm also going to see if i can get anyone to swap an XM part for a Sirius part. can't hurt right?

lou

philipa_240sx

lou from ny wrote:of course i was leery to buy the unit since the other car was a murano and not a rogue. yes it's a baby murano, but there might have been some differences so why not ask and be sure...right?
Of course! Perhaps this will also help:

I went digging through the part no's awhile back and found that Nissan only has 3 Sirius sat modules for ALL thier vehicles:

999U9-NV004: 2003-2005 Nissan and Infiniti vehicles999U9-AS004: 2006 and some 2007 Nissan and Infiniti vehicles999U9-AS006: Updated version of 999U9-AS004 used in some 2007 and nearly all 2008 and newer Nissan and Infiniti vehicles.

The corresponding XM module part no's:

999U9-NV003: 2003-2005 Nissan and Infiniti vehicles999U9-AS003: 2006 and some 2007 Nissan and Infiniti vehicles999U9-AS005: Updated version of 999U9-AS004 used in some 2007 and nearly all 2008 and newer Nissan and Infiniti vehicles.

I understand the 999U9-ASxxx series cross compatible. However the older 999U9-NVxxx had different antenna connector and requires an 'antenna splitter'.

dob

Yes, Lou, I'm talking about the factory installed unit. I swapped the XM unit that came with it for the Sirius (part 999U9-AS006). I didn't take any pictures of the install, but it's been working flawlessly since Nov. 2008. This was before the merger and my wife made it all of three days on the XM trial before demanding that I do something. I found some info on a search that showed a successful swap on a 2008 Titan, so I gave it a shot.

I was able to take a photo of the jack on the XM receiver. You can see the part on the top that is the "key" for the antenna. This is what keeps you from intermingling XM & Sirius. All you need to do is shave that piece down so that the female input is round(er). You can then plug the XM factory antenna into the Sirius receiver. Edit: I can't seem to insert the photo, so here's the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3...33968

If you do decide to go this route and you need to call a local parts department, tell them you need the Sirius unit for a 2006 Altima with the Bose system. If you say it's for a Rogue, they'll tell you Sirius isn't available...but that's because they stopped offering Sirius after 2006. Lucky for us, the parts are still the same.

The unit cost me about $200 US and then another $15 to swap the subscription. It was worth it for me at the time to have a clean, integrated install.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

lou from ny

sooooo let's see, i have an xm unit 999U9-AS005 and want to swap for a sirius 999U9-AS006 unit. sounds good.then i'll shave down the "key" on the top to fit to the sirius and POOF all is good in the world....

ori can pay $200 and save some time...now to talk to the boss and see if she approvesthanks gents lou

philipa_240sx

Dob, I fixed the link to your photo.

I will add this post to the FAQ, lots of good information.

Thanks to Dob and Lou!

Lou, if you complete the swap please post some pics and your comments here so other Rogue and Nissan owners contemplating this swap have the information.

kingjman
Car: Rogue AWD SL

People are spending about $200 to convert their XM to sirius, why not save time and put that money towards XM plus best of sirius lifetime? then you get all the sports, Playboy, and Howard ....XM lifetime is $399 add best of sirius lifetime for $100.They no longer advertise lifetime subs, they run "specials" and won't tell you when the offer expires.

Normally Lifetime Subs are transferable to a new radio upto 3 times @ $75 per Xfer....The new policy is that if it's a car stereo, it's stays with the car(was told "xferable if the radio is stolen, or damaged")

$500 seems a bit steep to some, but after 3 years of paying monthly, you'll wish you would have(unless they go belly up)

Before you call XM, get your Radio ID.....tune to CH 0

kingjman

ncc1701 wrote:XM and Sirius now offer 99% the same programming?
NHL is XM exclusive.

Modified by kingjman at 5:06 AM 10/31/2009

joeyo
Car: Rogue 2009 SL AWD

OK Folks,

I got the Sirius Tuner 999U9-AS006 and installed it myself. Shaved off one key on the satellite antenna connector. Activated it..got my multi-receiver discount.The entire process took about 1hr....took time learning how to take apart the luggage area components to get to the tuner.

I want to thank all of you for your posts. You have been a great help.

crayb
Car: 09 Rogue SL Fwd (Prem,Lther,Snrf), 11 Hyundai Sonata SE, 04 Lexus RX330, 92 Mazda Miata C 5spd

So does the radio display artist, channel #, title with the Sirius as it did with the XM?

My 3 month trial ended last Sunday night, poof.... no warning or call or anything to see if I wanted to continue. XM cs it AWFUL!! I have 3 other cars with Sirius and have loved it from day one. It is RIDICULOUS that they WILL NOT offer you a multi-car discount just b/c their computers aren't linked "yet". This will be reported to my attorney general as well as the FCC. XM/Sirius is one and the same company, so it should offer this without the bs excuse. They're just milking us for all they can get while they can. I'd gladly change to Sirius to get the great channel lineup, the XM channel locations are very strange to me.

Ray

lou from ny

joeyo,where did you get the tuner from and for how much?my concern is once i do this swap, sirius/xm will merge and i'll be out $200. not really worth it for just the discount, but even less worth it if they truly merge right?

thanks

kingjman

siriusly...I can't stress a lifetime with best of enuff!(no I don't work for them)....why spend $200 plus the hack install to "save" money?...If you want to save money, don't wait til your promo sub runs out... Call right away and you'll get the lifetime a bit cheaper, they'll pro rate your sub with your unused days
Modified by kingjman at 4:10 AM 9/28/2009

crayb
Car: 09 Rogue SL Fwd (Prem,Lther,Snrf), 11 Hyundai Sonata SE, 04 Lexus RX330, 92 Mazda Miata C 5spd

Update! I phoned XM and spoke to the CS rep after they sent out a paper statement for an amount I hadn't agreed to. It was for $90.xx. They told me that that was half the amount I owed for a yearly fee. I had previously been quoted $173.xx. So I was angry. The CS guy wasn't helping any (could barely understand him), so I asked to speak to a supervisor. I did and I explained the stupidity of giving me the excuse of XM/ Sirius still merging their computers and how I had a 4 other Sirius accounts.

He went into his spill about they couldn't offer this /that so I told him he could either give me the discount or I'd bail on the XM (I really wanted to change over to Sirius anyway). I was then transferred to a stateside CS rep who told me he'd GLADLY give me the discount.

So with a little preserverance I was able to get XM everything for $77.xx/ year. I thanked him and asked why I had to go over mountain-tops for this and he said in the end they didn't want to loose me as a customer. He also said that within the next few months everything should be in place to offer the discounts to all XM/Sirius customers.

Ray

kingjman

...and next year you'll have to "deal" with CS again?....$77 a yr isn't bad, but still no Howard or NFL without "best of"....$500=done is still better IMO.

crayb

I was told it would renew for the same amount. I have XM everything with the best of Sirius. I'm all for the lifetime subs, but I feel they won't honor them very long when they can charge folks almost $200 USD a year for 1 yr/sub.

I'd almost pay "NOT" to have Howard Stern. Garbage to me. 60" projector for NFL.

Ray

kingjman

It's hard to watch sports and drive at the same time, that's why I prefer to listen to the game while driving...besides, she doesn't like it when I drive with the plasma in the front seat, and the projector doesn't show up very well on the windshield...It's great for me that you feel a monthly sub is better, I obviously want them to stay in business.....It is funny tho how you feel my lifetime sub will expire, yet confident your price is locked in.
Modified by kingjman at 11:48 AM 10/23/2009

crayb

Just raise the hood and the projector will show up better.

Ray

blaruffa
Car: Nissan Rogue

Hi Guys, I traded my Rogue last week for a 2006 Pathfinder. Needed something to tow 6000# the Pathfinder has a Bose system with the Sirius Module. I really want XM. Do you think the one from the Rogue would work? And If so does anyone have one they want to sell?

philipa_240sx

blaruffa wrote:Hi Guys, I traded my Rogue last week for a 2006 Pathfinder. Needed something to tow 6000# the Pathfinder has a Bose system with the Sirius Module. I really want XM. Do you think the one from the Rogue would work? And If so does anyone have one they want to sell?
Yes, it should work.

Bobalouie1999
Car: 2012 Nissan Pathfinder

I recently leased a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder with XM radio. In my last Pathfinder I had portable Sirius radio. After contacting XM I realized that for the same programing I would pay much more for XM that is currently installed in the car than for sirius. That being said, I hear I can convert my current XM radio to a Sirius radio. Can anyone give me details including part numbers.
Thanks

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

are they not the same thing now a days?

Return to “Rogue Forum”