Convertible carpet help!!

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
distant240sx
Car: 1992 240sx convertible

Hi, one of the first things i did when i got my convertible was change the carpet. i found alot of them online that said they had molded carpets for the 240sx coupe, wich i was told was the same for the convertible. Well when i got mine, i installed it and found out it was not the same. The carpet was molded to fit a regular coupe/hatchback. It had extra carpeting behing the driver and passenger seat, to accommodate the seatbelt housing that bolts right behind those 2 seats. Well as you all know the convertible has the seatbelts on the doors, and the extra carpeting looks horible, and connot be hidden by anything. it stands out alot. I tried cutting it but it is not a good solution. that was 2 years ago and now i want to get the right thing. Well my question now is, if anyone has had any experience with their carpets. and what where your solutions. Or if anyone has put roll/spray liner on their cars. anything will help. pictures will help too. I tried searching both here and google. Thanks to all in advanced.

madcowvert

I got a carpet from a coupe and it don't think it looks that bad. stop being a baby about it...lol maybe you can have a carpet shop make you one..

distant240sx

well madcowvert, maybe i got something wrong when i got mine. but mine looked bad. Anyways, i got some pictures that might better help explain myself. The ones with the red circles are the extra carpet/bumps that are meant for the seatbelts on the coupe/hatch. The convertible doesn't have the belt housing there, so it looks more like the one with the blue circles. Maybe there is something i am missing but i have search for a long time and have come out with nothing.

Thanks again, to anyone who helps.

distant240sx

Does anyone know of anything? anyone?

DirftKing102
Car: Nissan 240sx 1993 convertable

i have never delt with the carpet before. But i am having someone at a paint shop get me new carpet. But check an uphousltry shop they do carpet, interor door panels, seats, and some other things. So check uphoulstry shops. I spelt it two different ways but you know what i mean.

distant240sx

Well, I guess, i will have to look at shops. But my dilema is that i am tackling the whole car project myself, and really wanted to do this myself. plus upholstery shops tend to charge a bit too high. I will call or email some of the online places that have this, maybe I get someone who knows what I am saying, and will lead me in the right direction. I'll keep you guys updated on this. Hope no one goes throught the same that i went through.

ishkabibble
Car: 1992 NX2000 hardtop, 1993 NX2000 t-top, 1997 Infiniti I30t

Email ACS/Dorsett and ask if their carpet kit has the bumps for the automatic seatbelts. If not, you can get that kit from Rockauto for $95.

I have coupe carpet in my vert, but the seatbelt bumps are hidden because my front seats are always all the way back.

1SickSilvia
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx vert

I need a new carpet too, did you guys find a good replacement yet??? I tried fitting the hatchbacks carpet but so far its a real pain and I might have to cut into it to make it lay flat in the back.

BiXLL
Car: ****VERTS**** Black 93--Red 92--White 93

Lets bring this back from the dead! Has anyone found a place to get carpet made for our verts yet?????

-RJ-
Car: S13 Convertible, 99 Frontier, 03 Sportage, 96 Protege

nissan dealership

ishkabibble

Just get the carpet out of a 89 or 90 240SX coupe. I'll try and get a picture of mine today.

240DrpTop
Car: 1993 240SX vert(sold) 2006 Xterra , 1982 280ZX , 1984 300ZX

Try these guy's. It seems to me that they are really trying to be a source of quality auto parts. Good Luck! Let us know how it turns out. Please. http://aabestco.com/about.ihtml

ishkabibble

Here's what pignose coupe carpet looks like in a vert. Please excuse any dirt in the pictures.

Front. Pignose carpet is long-lasting, high quality stuff and looks great. Its at least 10x better than the stock vert carpet. Fitment in the front is pretty much perfect.

Back. There are a couple of spots here that don't fit perfectly, most notably the automatic seatbelt area from the coupe. I don't feel this is an issue since my front seats are all of the way back 99% of the time.

My carpet cost $20 at a junkyard, and then I spent an hour on it with a scrub brush, laundry detergent, and a garden hose. Looks pretty much new.

BiXLL
Car: ****VERTS**** Black 93--Red 92--White 93

I can't believe that there is no aftermarket carpet made specificly for the vert! I guess not enough of them produced to warrant the tooling?

Lysol
Car: S13 Hatch, S13 Vert

if i recal correctly the jdm rhd carpet that i put in my hatch a while back didnt have these seatbelt bumps. you do however have to get a little creative though to make the pedal holes etc. other problem was the body harness bump in the carpet. (alot less noticeable than the belt bumps though)

phillip fair
Car: 1993 240 sx convertible

I don't know if this helps but I contacted a local upolstery shop in Pensacola Florida about this dilima and here is what they told me. They can replace the carpet in my vert for $325.00 plus tax now if that seems high consider this they will remove the seats and consoleas well as seat belt parts they then lay in a piece of flat carpet and procede to fit it by cutting and stitching once finished the fit is perfect and all of the sewn seems are all but invisable in fact it looks just like a molded carpet complete with jute padding and all. I have priced coupe carpets at around $200.00 and you still have to install it and even then the fit is not very good. $325.00 is a bargin if you intend to keep your vert in perfect condition

-RJ-

you could always take your carpet out and restitch another fabric on top, thats what i was going to do

phillip fair

Well I quess another option you might concider if your old carpet is worn and discolored but otherwise solid and intact you might think along the lines of purchasing some bulk auto carpet and carefully mold and glue it down to your original I have done this in the past on another car project with amazing results as far as glue Liquid nails works really good but once it's stuck and cured you can't pull it apart. If you do happen to get some of the glue on any plastic or paint if can be easily removed with a little gasoline on a rag I have found that it works best to remove the glue but does not arm plastic paint or the carpet should you get a little on it but use extreme caution and leave you doors open to air it out. If you take your time you can produce very good results and as for that heel pad you can purchase a small vinyl mat almost anyware that sells automotive supplies.

-RJ-

does liquid nails hold the carpet good? I was gonna stick on some new fabric

phillip fair

Are kidding me Man that stuff is great and if your even the least bit concerned of it's power then purchase the extreme contractor grade it looks like the regular stuff but it has a blue part on the lable that reads extreme contractor grade. I have used it for years and I have never had it come loose just make sure you get the surface as clean as you can no grease or heavy dirt.

-RJ-

enough said

i will do it when its warmer and i shall post pics

mrk442
Car: 1993 240sx vert

someone did this in my vert before got it and well its worn through on the driver side and generally looks like a$$...and not in a good way.. it holds dirt, didnt hold up to use well, and the adhesive didnt hold and now the top piece moves and bunches up in relation to the bottom piece....

riping it all out in an hour or so

my .02 use quality fabric and adhesive do it right or dont do it at all......

-RJ-

well course, if its gonna take a long time you might as well take your time. a buddy of mine used that carpet replacement stuff from walmart. it looked really nice about 3 months then it started to smudge and what not. what i planned on doing was getting high quality black fabric (not sure of the material yet, any input would be nice) then getting the silvia floor mats

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”