Contemplating G37 purchase

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
Kungfoofireman

Ok, not really contemplating because I'm more than likely going with the G37. I've been a Nissan guy for the last 14 years, as I have a very dependable 2000 Maxima SE with about 228k glorious miles and counting. I've kept it well maintained and did a majority of the repairs myself, thanks to Maxima.org and YouTube, saved A LOT of cash. I'm sticking with Nissan!
Repairs done:
High pressure steering hose
Valve cover gasket
Possible upper oil pan gasket (have to get under there and evaluate)
Front and Rear wheel hub bearings
All 4 struts
Mass airflow sensor replaced
and various other small repairs.

My question, are a lot of the repairs I listed above similar to what I can expect upon purchase of a G37? I know the 2000-2003 Max's are known for the high pressure steering hoses going out. I've read and searched the forum and have gathered a lot of info but I'd like to hear some more recent posts, as some of them are a little older. I know a lot of the repairs are just due to the age of my car, and I plan on keeping the G37 for a long time also. I've had 3 cars in 25+ years! I know the time will come when I need to replace the Max, so I'm getting ahead of the game. I'm really looking forward to the AWD aspect of the vehicle also, but not really sure as I know it has a transfer case and that need servicing also, ect... Do the tires wear out any faster? How does the AWD handle as opposed to a FWD vehicle? It's not full time AWD. I know there are Google searches I can do, but I'd like to hear about these cars from actual owners. Anything else I should be aware of that I may not have seen?

I plan on doing all service myself, but I'm well aware that parts are more expensive. For example, my struts cost $282 for all 4 in my Max, ONE strut on the G37 was $350! But, I know that is something that isn't replaced frequently so I don't mind paying for quality. They are more expensive to maintain in general, but I think that paying a mechanic to do it is why it is so costly! I see that the new BMW's don't even have an oil dipstick, blasphemy.... But I guess that is the way of the world now. No one wants to get their hands dirty! Thanks in advance for the reply's and I think that is all I have for now.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

I'm on my second Infiniti. On my 06 with 171791 miles the only repairs were lower control arms, and clutch slave cylinder, and wiring harness replacement split three ways. Most other items were covered under the warranty. Overall it was a very reliable vehicle.
Thus far on my 2012 G37S with 36k miles, no repairs thus far. Only oil changes.

Telcoman

Gilley

I have not read about many significant must do repairs for the G37. The motor is a derivative of what's in your Maxima and in the G35s so the reliability is there. And they are relatively easy to maintain yourself for the most part.

You can buy many OEM parts at the Nissan dealer or online for less than at the Infiniti dealer. The 370z shares some powertrain and suspension parts. And for struts, you can get aftermarket for less than OEM.

On my 03 G35 sedan, I replaced both front hubs recently at 172k miles. I have replaced the valve cover gaskets because they got old and hard. I also replaced the spark plug galley oil seals in one valve cover. MAF sensor and a couple of camshaft position sensors. Maybe they fixed the spark plug galley leaking into the spark plug tube with the G37.

Kungfoofireman

Thanks for the responses. Upon further investigation, I found that the struts for the G37 are the same price as the ones for my Maxima, so I'm glad about that. Seems like the maintenance/repair for the G37 will be pretty much the same, if not just a little more, than my Maxima. Now I just need to go test drive one....

Checkered Flag
Car: G37X 2009

I had three Maxima's before going G37X. It would have been a 4th but 1. I couldn't stand the front end 2 it looked like an Altima 3 it was heavy and about same speed or slower then Altima.

The 2009 G has been nothing short of amazing. 7 speed auto shifts well, and almost no driving issues with tranny. I always have had stick prior to G and was very leery of going auto. No more!! I won't go back.

Handles very, very well. Great highway car. G37X all wheel drive a must if snow is at all in your picture. These are BACK wheel drive cars with front wheel on demand . Really does well in rain, and like a german half track in snow.

Mechanics have been great, only an issue with a sensor...and I did my rotors in at 94,000. My miles are HARD miles, like 3X the average drivers and no other complaints. I'm at 98,500 and hoping to do 150,000. Hoping key word, cause the new 50's look like BS to me. Front ends were weak enough in accidents, and I have heard mechanically they are not upto the G37's.

For a Maxima driver you'll be forever grateful to slip into a G37!

larsG35
Car: '04 G35 6MT sedan

Checkered Flag wrote:I had three Maxima's before going G37X. It would have been a 4th but 1. I couldn't stand the front end 2 it looked like an Altima 3 it was heavy and about same speed or slower then Altima.
yeah... the older Maxima's were pretty awesome, legit 4DSC
Checkered Flag wrote: The 2009 G has been nothing short of amazing. 7 speed auto shifts well, and almost no driving issues with tranny. I always have had stick prior to G and was very leery of going auto. No more!! I won't go back.
The 6MT is no slouch either ;)
Checkered Flag wrote: Handles very, very well. Great highway car. G37X all wheel drive a must if snow is at all in your picture. These are BACK wheel drive cars with front wheel on demand . Really does well in rain, and like a german half track in snow.
I actually managed to get through a Minnesota winter with a RWD G35. I have a pretty funny story that sums up the season.

I was going to meet my girlfriend after work in Minneapolis, but she called me and said she was too scared of driving in the snow (she has a FWD volkswagen)- maybe 6 inches of the 15 we eventually got had fallen. So I drove to her place. When I get there, she wants me to drive her to the grocery store. I said, "As long as you're not too scared to riding in the snow." She was fine with it. Spent about 50% of the time going sideways. :chuckle:

When I finally left, there was probably 13 or 14 inches of snow. Backed out of her driveway and got stuck... ended up "flooring" it in 1st for like 20 secs until I had burned through to the pavement... :cool:

@Kungfoofireman - I'm sure the test drive will be great! Let us know how it goes.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I would also consider a 2nd gen (07-08) G35 when considering a G37. I just bought an 07 G35, and overall it's the same car. While it has 20ish less HP, it weighs a smidge less so at the end of the day it's basically the same. There are some things you couldn't get on the older ones that you can on the newer ones, but generally speaking it's the same (fantastic) car.

Kungfoofireman

Thanks again for the reply's. I've been doing some research on AWD vs RWD vs FWD handling differences. I've lived in New York, Nebraska, etc and I've always believed in having front wheel drive as opposed to rear wheel, as far as driving in icy/snowy conditions. I'll def get the AWD, but I know it is mostly rear wheel until slip is detected. Can you guys tell or feel when the AWD kicks in, or do I slide first, then it kicks in? I know it's supposed to be instantaneous but I've never driven one so I'm getting as much info as I can. We don't get much snow down here in GA where I live now (except for this past winter and we do get a lot of ice). But that was more icy than anything, and I was able to get around fine, with the FWD Maxima. I know regardless of what drive system you have, if you don't have any traction, you aren't going anywhere!

Checkered Flag
Car: G37X 2009

I have never felt it kick in. Someone described to me, who knows more then I do, the advantages to back wheel AWD. Not only incredible in snow, but awesome in rain too. I grew up on back wheel drive, and never really did figure out front wheel drives in the dry. It's nice to be able to hit the gas and push the back end around again. I'm still trying to master the AWD in corners. I'm not in my 20's anymore so 4 wheel drifts are a thing of the past....

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I personally think AWD is (in general) just extra complexity and weight you're carrying around for only a couple months of use (if you live up in the snow). If you don't live where it snows regularly, the need is even less.

Remember 90% of how your car behaves is based on the tires. AWD can help, but it's not going to transform a marginal car into something that's amazing.

I have lived in Indiana my entire life, and drive regularly my RWD cars in the snow and I am able to go most places that FWD can't go. If I lived in GA, I'd definitely skip the AWD. I live in Indiana and skipped the AWD... :)

MyG37xS
Car: 2012
Infiniti G37xS

I have a 2012 G37xs 8K miles. I have not had any needed repairs thus far, but take good care of her. I travel between the Berkshires in Mass and upstate NY all year around. I do have a 2013 4x4 Taco, but I will tell you the G is great all year around except in deep snow. It is without a doubt one of the funnest cars I have ever owned and blows a BMW 328ix out of the water. You can't go wrong. Best of luck!

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I went from a 2k2 Max to my G37 and the only issues have been needing rotors turned a few times (I'm not on factory rotors as of last year but the factory rotors are fine, just wanted an upgrade). Otherwise the only issue I have is with steering column motor problem where it tilts up and not down. I will hate to know what that is going to cost me tho.

Kungfoofireman

Just a little update. I finally test drove an '11 G37x, but it was a used model that I think had been ragged out (rusted rotors and brake parts, dirty engine, etc.) I went on a nice and rainy day, so the salesman would let me do what I want since they didn't want to stand out in the rain. I just wanted to test drive but figured I would give the car a look over.

You can tell when there is pride in ownership in things, and there wasn't in this car, but like I said, I was just driving to get a feel. I connected my phone via blue tooth to see if I could stream my music. I really liked the sound and the display had song title, album, etc. I know it's a little thing, but having this is important to me. Very comfortable interior, nice update from my 14 year old vehicle. Space was almost identical to my Maxima, although the specs say it is bigger, it felt slightly smaller than the Max.

I started the car and it made an awful valve rattling sound for about a minute. I take it that this is not normal for this car? After I let it warm up, I took it for a nice spin on some wet pavement to test the AWD (another reason for test driving in the rain) So I get to a nice wet asphalt/gravel section at a light and make a u-turn, punch it, and was impressed by how the car remained stable and accelerated without spinning the tires. It felt a little like it wasn't running right, but like I said, I don't think this car was maintained very well. I'll need to be careful when ever I make my actual purchase. I do think I'm going to drive the M37 though and see if there is any difference, performance wise. Either way, I think I'm sold on the Infiniti....

Kendahl
Car: 2008 G37S, Blue Slate, Premium, Navigation

I bought a 2008 G37S coupe in November, 2007. Only options were the premium and navigation packages. After 50,000 miles, the only problem I have had is an occasional dash rattle that the dealer hasn't been able to fix.

The only thing I would criticize about my G37S is that it's quite tail happy with VDC (stabilization) turned off. That isn't an issue with the G37X loaner cars I have driven. If you like, or can at least tolerate, an automatic transmission, I think the G37X is a better car to drive hard than are the rear drive models. This is true even if you never have to deal with ice and snow.

If winter is significant where you live, real winter tires on a separate set of wheels will do more for you than all wheel drive. I say this after driving my Subaru winter beater on both all season and winter tires.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”