Considering a new Versa

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
p2ranger

I'm in the market for another car. I want a good commuter car that I can drive for years until the wheels fall off and gets good gas mileage. Does the Versa seem to fit into this (especially the durability/reliability). I'm looking for some basic transportation.

What first drew me to looking into the Versa was the claim of larger interior room. I'm a big guy. 6'3" 230lbs firefighter Most of the time little economy cars just don't let me fit in them. Especially since I have really long legs. I plan to start test driving cars this week. How has the experience been here for the tall folks with the comfort of being in a Versa?

I read a post here that said that buying a SL gave more upgrades that make it nicer. I'm curious what exactly you get with the baseline SL that you don't get with the S. Trying to decide if it is worth it.

I'm considering the S as the only add on I want is the ABS (but I've noticed you have to get other stuff to get the ABS). I want the hatchback and the stick shift.

I'm just wanting the plain radio as I figure it would be worth it to buy a nicer aftermarket radio/speakers. One question with that. I'm not very familiar with this area. The car I have now has the radio that came with it and it adjusts the volume with the speed of the car. Is this something that can be bought in an aftermarket radio?

Also I have a Yakima roof rack for my bicycle. Has anyone tried putting a roof rack on their Versa yet?

Any advice on buying new cars. This is the first time I've bought a new car myself. Websites to read, etc. I read recently that the end of Dec is a great time to buy new cars. Is this true?

Any rebates/incintives/deals that Nissan is offering now or will be offering by year's end on new Versas?

Also other cars I've read about in this class are the Yaris and the Fit. From what I've read online the Versa is usually behind the Fit on ratings, but mainly just on performance. I realize this is an economy car so I'm not expecting great performance. Pros and cons on the cars in this category or other cars in this category I haven't considered yet.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

BillyBeaneBall
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8SL CVT, Audio, Conv, Moonroof

Well, I'm surprised I'm the first to reply to this thread since I'm not on here as much as some other members. Here is my experience...

I have an SL model with the Convenience Package, CVT transmission, Moonroof Package, and Audio Package. I absolutely love it. Though I understand your desire for a "base" S, I still would say a base SL is just better "bang for the buck" IMO. The differences are as follows in the base SL you get:-15" aluminum alloy wheels (as opposed to plastic hubcaps on black steel rims): I know this is cosmetic but it DOES look alot better but if you're like me, this is not a major consideration.- Cruise control: (this is a $200 option on the S model if you want it.)- Remote Keyless Entry (the "Power Package" is a $700 option on the S model and includes Power Windows and Locks)-Power Windows and Locks-6CD in dash changer -Vehicle Security System

This was looked up on http://www.nissanusa.com for your convienience but I suggest you go there and build a car so you know what the MSRP is before going to buy your car.

That being said the prices on NissanUSA.com for the base S is $12,730 and the base SL is $14,730 I'm sure you could get the dealer down $1000 on an SL so looking at what you get in the SL as opposed to the S...it's just a better buy.

I actually owned a Versa SL prior to the one I now have. It also was a 2007 but it was a "base" SL with only the CVT transmission. Unfortunately I totalled it with my 80 year old grandmother in the passenger seat and girlfriend in the rear passenger seat (we got hit by a GMC Yukon going roughly 55mph on the passenger front quarterpanel) and we ALL WALKED AWAY with nothing more than bruises. It is an incredibly safe car (with 6 airbags standard in both models, S and SL) and has the safety ratings to back it up.

I paid $15,900 for my first SL...6 months later when I needed to replace the car (and it was end of season clearance) I got the "new SL" with every option but ABS and Sport Package for $16,400....$500 difference. I got kinda screwed on my first car but got an excellent deal on the second.

I suggest that you go with the Versa over the Fit (regardless of model) for a few reasons.

1. Value....this was a major consideration for me and the Fit cost slightly more and I felt that "FOR THE MONEY" the Versa gave me more.

2. Good Gas mileage...especially on the highway (I don't do alot of hwy driving but I see a BIG jump in my mileage when I do) and I get about 35mpg in the city.

3. Comfortability...this car is extremely comfortable n the front and back seats for tall people (I'm not "tall" at 5'11" but I'm very long in the torso and therefore tend to have my head hitting the roof on most cars...for the first time in a long time I have HEAD ROOM ) I'm also about 245lbs so I'm not skinny either and I'm VERY comfortable in my car.

4. Performance- This has more horsepower than the Fit and has decent "get up and go" for a car in it's class. Keep in mind these aren't performance vehicles and none are fast, per se...but this car in my test drives was easily the best with the A/C on.

But honestly I'll tell you this. Being a Versa owner gets you one more thing I don't think you can get as a Fit owner. You get to come here and talk V with us I originally came here like you looking for answers and I love it here now...these are really a great bunch of owners who love thier car and are happy to help anyone..even me...a guy who knows very little about cars except that they get me where I want to go.

bikeman
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL

p2ranger wrote:I read a post here that said that buying a SL gave more upgrades that make it nicer. I'm curious what exactly you get with the baseline SL that you don't get with the S. Trying to decide if it is worth it.
I'm 6'3" with long legs. You do not want an S. The SL comes with a more adjustable drivers seat than the S and that made a world of difference in my case. Every cm counts when it comes to leg room. Definitely sit in both to get a feel for the difference.

David

Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

So far the Versa appears to have good reliability according to survey sites such as TrueDelta. Early build models for the first few months of production (late 2006) had their quirks here and there, but those were ironed out on the assembly line. You certainly couldn't go wrong with the 6-speed for reliability.

As for the SL versus S - I too agree that the SL would be your best bet. In addition to what Billy listed, the SL comes with higher quality upholstery that appears to be much more durable than the S cloth. If you plan on keeping the car forever, this might be one concern. Also, with the S, you get hubcaps, which apparently are not great at staying on the steel wheels. The SL alloys improve the appearance, in my opinion.

Also, the SL has a padded center armrest for the driver/front passenger. Padded armrests on the door panels also come standard on the SL - this is a touch that many more expensive cars lack, it definitely adds to the comfort level.

Like you mentioned, ABS helps the braking performance substantially - not just braking distance, but control during braking.

The standard stereo on the SL has the built-in speed-sensitive volume function, and has a 6-disc in-dash CD changer with MP3 playback. The S has a single CD player that lacks MP3 functionality.

As far as car buying advice, I'll share a few tips. One great website to go to is http://www.edmunds.com. Here you'll find a new-car appraisal service where you can find out what price most people are buying a particular car for, down to every option you choose. It's called TMV (true market value). The TMV for the Versa isn't especially revealing, however, since it's such a low priced car, there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room on negotiating price.

Nissan currently offers incentives such as $500 cash back for recent college grads (ends 1/2/08), $500 Holiday Bonus Cash (ends 12/3/07). Nissan financing is offering 3.9% APR for 12 to 36 month terms and 4.9% APR for 48 and 60 month terms.

Near the end of the year is usually a recommended car-buying time because many car models get updated around this time of year. So as, say, the 2008 model year arrives on the lots in late 2007, there are many "left-over" new 2007 models that haven't been sold yet. Dealers are usually want to get these off their hands, and you can usually find a better deal on the "left-overs".

As for the Versa, the new model year came out in the summer, so although some 2007s may be out there, it's not quite the same as a model that comes out toward the end of the year. Also, essentially nothing changed from '07 to '08 (except for option package structuring) so it's not like the left-over '07s are outmoded models.

That said, the winter time is also usually a slow time for car sales, especially around the holidays, as you can imagine...so you can usually find dealers are more likely to "deal" with you at this time of year just to get a sale.

Sorry for the novel - hope this helps.

rwanttaja

p2ranger wrote:I'm in the market for another car. I want a good commuter car that I can drive for years until the wheels fall off and gets good gas mileage. Does the Versa seem to fit into this (especially the durability/reliability). I'm looking for some basic transportation.
I've had my Versa for a year, it does very well in the "basic transportation" category.
p2ranger wrote:What first drew me to looking into the Versa was the claim of larger interior room. I'm a big guy. 6'3" 230lbs firefighter Most of the time little economy cars just don't let me fit in them. Especially since I have really long legs. I plan to start test driving cars this week. How has the experience been here for the tall folks with the comfort of being in a Versa?
I'm a bit shorter than you, but have long legs. The Versa is about the first car I've owned where I can't reach the pedals with the seat all the way back. However, the steering wheel is mounted too close to the dashboard, so I had to give up a bit of legroom for a more-comfortable grip on the wheel.

This is something you can easily check for yourself by visiting a dealership and sit in one.
p2ranger wrote:I read a post here that said that buying a SL gave more upgrades that make it nicer. I'm curious what exactly you get with the baseline SL that you don't get with the S. Trying to decide if it is worth it.
Nissan's web page (http://www.nissanusa.com/versa/index.html) compares the features. The extra stuff with the SL give features that are usually included in much more expensive cars...I'm glad I got an SL.
p2ranger wrote:I'm just wanting the plain radio as I figure it would be worth it to buy a nicer aftermarket radio/speakers. One question with that. I'm not very familiar with this area. The car I have now has the radio that came with it and it adjusts the volume with the speed of the car. Is this something that can be bought in an aftermarket radio?
When I was young, I felt the same way. Nowadays, I just want something that works good right off the dealer floor so I don't have to hassle with it forever. I got the 6-CD audio system that comes standard with the SL, and am very happy with it. It adjusts the volume with speed, and plays MP3-formatted CDs (~200 songs per CD instead of 20).
p2ranger wrote:Any advice on buying new cars. This is the first time I've bought a new car myself. Websites to read, etc. I read recently that the end of Dec is a great time to buy new cars. Is this true?
Find a book called "Don't Get Taken Every Time." Ends of months, and the end of the year, are good times to buy since salesmen are more conscious of filling their quotas.
p2ranger wrote:Also other cars I've read about in this class are the Yaris and the Fit. From what I've read online the Versa is usually behind the Fit on ratings, but mainly just on performance. I realize this is an economy car so I'm not expecting great performance. Pros and cons on the cars in this category or other cars in this category I haven't considered yet.
I drove all three, and picked Versa. Almost picked the Yaris, but was won over by the superior quiet and ride of the Versa, and the upgraded interior in the SL. It cost several thousand more than the Yaris, but to me the added comfort was worth it.

The reviews do usually pick the Fit over the Versa, but there's a fundamental discontinuity: They consider the Fit and Versa competitors because their list prices are the same, but Honda dealers won't sell Fits at list price. Dealerships for both lines add several thousands of dollars called "dealer markup" "marketing charge" "dealer profit," etc. The Nissan dealer quickly agreed to take it off when I said I wouldn't pay it, the Honda dealer just said, "too bad." So ultimately, you'll pay a lot less to buy a Versa.

Ron

MarauderX
Car: 2 Versas!

I was looking for a car for the same reason - good commuter that fits me. We ended up getting two of them, and both are awesome. My wife and I can use them interchangeably, and we got a car seat for each for our baby. The side air bags for safety were one of the reasons I liked the car more than one competitor's similar model. I'm 6'-0", and I don't put the seat back all the way, but just one 'click' forward. My wife loves them as she can now parallel park, and I love them as they are great on mileage and weaving around in traffic. We live in the 2nd worst traffic area - Wash DC - and this was a big bonus as I knew I'd be sliding around trash trucks, construction, squeezing to get to a turning lane, etc. The interior room is great too; I'm a drummer, and I can fit and haul ALL of my equipment plus more for the band (5 piece drum kit with 2 lighting rigs, large monitor, and 4 microphone stands). We used to have a Jeep SUV - our Versas hold nearly as much, each.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

One other SL vs S difference to add - there's also a fold-down armrest with cupholders in the rear seat of the SL.

It's funny to me that reviewers keep saying that the Fit performs better than the Versa. The numbers speak differently, the lateral skidpad of the Fit is oly 0.01g better than the Versa, and as far as acceleration tests, they nerfed the hell out of the Versa. They were driving a CVT Versa vs. a manual Fit. The Fit beat the CVT V, but not by much. When another reviewer (Popular Mechanics, I think?) reviewed them, they used a 6-speed V and the results were different... the V beat the Fit.

I'm 6'0" myself, and easily and comfortably drive the V. I too looked at a Yaris... for about 45 seconds. I sat in the driver's seat, was thoroughly unimpressed with fit and finish, and when I tried to get out, brained myself on the door's archway. I found out that I literally have to crane my neck flat against my shoulder to get out without hitting myself in the head on a Yaris. The Versa? Easily clears. With room to spare.

I also had a similar experience to rwanttaja, in that the Honda dealer wanted a 2nd sticker markup and wouldn't remove it. Last year when I was buying Versa #1, this markup was $4000! It would have been cheaper to buy a mid-level Civic! They also would not let me sit in it or test drive it unless I put a deposit on it! WTF?! In any case, I never would have purchased it because my family does NOT have good luck with Hondas, it's my personal opinion that their reliability is greatly overrated.

But when I went and test drove the V, it was love at first shift. I was really annoyed when Versa #1 got hit... though it was rebuilt it was never the same, so that's why I'm on Versa #2 now.

Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

Here's some performance data from Motor Trend's test of the Versa, Fit and Yaris...

Fit 0-60: 9.8/QUARTER: 17.3 @ 79.3 mph/BRAKING 60-0: 121'(5-speed auto tested, 2466lb curb weight) Versa 0-60: 9.5/QUARTER: 17.1 @ 80.6 mph/BRAKING 60-0: 137'(6-speed manual tested, 2692lb curb weight)

Yaris 0-60: 10.4/QUARTER: 17.8 @ 76.8 mph/BRAKING 60-0: 125' (4-speed auto tested, 2405lb curb wieght)

The Versa is over 200 lbs heavier than these two competitors, and yet only adds 16' of braking distance as compared to the lighter Fit. Edmunds.com got the 5-speed manual Fit to go 0-60 in 9.3 seconds, so it would appear that apples to apples, acceleration is nearly equal between these two models, with the slight edge to the lighter Fit. Of course testing variables come into play, but this is just a simple comparison.

sooner4x4
Car: 2007 Versa S sedan

I can't comment on the leg room for someone 6'3" as i am half a foot shorter. A center arm rest in the SL would be something you would appreciate day after day.

As far as new car buying advice. Someone earlier mentioned doing some research on websites like edmunds.com. That is great advice. Option out the car on their website like you want it, taking note of the invoice and retail price of the car and the options.

I have purchased several new cars in my time. I know what the invoice price is because I have researched it. Have some notes to refer to. Anytime the salesman starts talking price, just say, I will pay invoice price. Just be confident about it. There should be no negotiation. Don't let them play all of their games like this price is good for today only. If you have a trade in, make that a seperate issue. I have never paid over invoice, even on Toyotas, or Hondas. By having notes, when you start going over the numbers on paper, you can know if they are trying to screw you. if something makes you uncomfortable or that small voice in your head says something is wrong, walk.

Do all of this after, you have driven all of the different cars you are interested in. Have fun, no matter how hard the dealership tries to make it difficult for you.

Jmeezay

Well, this is my first posting but I figured I would be perfect to chime in.

First of all, I agree with the poster who said to do your research! Go in knowing all of the important numbers. What's the invoice on the car you want with the features you want? What is the Blue Book value of your trade in? What's your credit score? How much do you want to pay, per month on the car and for what length of time? I'm a very friendly, laid back woman but I was educated and, even going in by myself, I was able to hammer out a good deal on an excellent car. They've already started slashing prices to make room for the 2008 models, so go snatch up a 2007!

Secondly, I am the queen of the compact car. I had 2 Hyundai Accents (96 and 02, respectively) and thought I'd just get an 07. I knew that the Yaris and Aveo didn't have the best reviews from Consumer Reports, but the Fit was a bit more than I was willing to pay for the options I wanted. Then I started researching the Versa and realized the SL was exactly what I wanted. Tons of space inside, cruise control, remote keyless entry, etc. One of my closest friends is 6 feet tall and she couldn't get over how comfortable she was in the car. There was also room left in the back seat as well.

I have only had the car for a few days, but I think its an excellent value for the money! Good luck.

p2ranger

I really appreciate everyone's input. I went test driving today and I must say the Versa is winning me over. I sat in a Yaris for about 30 seconds before I got out realizing that it just wasn't going to happen. The Honda Fit was kinda nice, although the steering wheel is really small. The guy at the Toyota place showed me the Matrix. It was much more comfortable than the Yaris, but it costs more.

So now it is going to come down to me finding what I want and getting a good price.

I've decided on the Versa SL. As someone pointed out, the seats are more comfortable and there is the arm rest.

I asked about just getting the ABS on the SL, as that is the only add on I want. According to the Nissan web site, you can get just the ABS and you only have to get the splash guards as well. I told the dealer this and he told me that you have to get the convenience package to get the ABS. Has anyone else experienced this or is he just wrong?

If it is the case, I guess I'll be having the intelligent key keyless entry ignition thing. Have people been happy with that? It seems like a really cool idea, but I'm afraid this is just something else to break on down the road.

Jason

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

It's not required to get the convenience package with ABS, though I have yet to see an '08 with ABS that doesn't also have the convenience package... so there may not be a lot made without it.

If you don't "want" the convenience package, that may be more grounds for you to d!ck over price.

And really, I loved the convenience package on Versa #1. I miss the integrated bluetooth basically every day I go to work. It was also super handy to be able to just push the request button to unlock the doors when my arms were full of computer parts.

equlizer
Car: Nissan Versa SL with SVT tranny

im seeing all these people saying "yeh i got my versa fully loaded for $15k or $16k"

Is the US that much cheaper than Canada? After all was said and done (taxes, freight, cost of borrowing, blah blah) cost me $23k

Same with my last new car ('05 suzuki aerio)

When you say your getting it for that price, are you including all the extra stuff or are you going into the lot with a wad of cash in your pocket?

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

Jason,

I have the SL with ABS without the convenience package. Mine's an '07.

The SL is indeed a very good buy for what you get. Good luck with your car shopping.

Mine just turned 10,000 miles and will be a year old next month.

BillyBeaneBall
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8SL CVT, Audio, Conv, Moonroof

equlizer wrote:im seeing all these people saying "yeh i got my versa fully loaded for $15k or $16k"

Is the US that much cheaper than Canada? After all was said and done (taxes, freight, cost of borrowing, blah blah) cost me $23k

Same with my last new car ('05 suzuki aerio)

When you say your getting it for that price, are you including all the extra stuff or are you going into the lot with a wad of cash in your pocket?
Umm, Canadian prices are realtive to American on everything you buy there, based on the value of your dollar compared to ours. When I visited Canada 2 years ago it seemed that something that cost $50 in the U.S. was about $70 in Canada. Not sure how that breaks down to automobile costs but it appears to be about the same (without actually doing the math, just "eyeballing" it) besides you guys have mandatory DRL which costs a bit more (probably not alot but you know carmakers) and a longer way to go for delivery. It may be a little more than what we pay, but I don't know how much more exactly... but I got mine for $16,400 with everything but ABS and the Sport package and NO trade. After taxes and warranty and GAP insurance...I think I paid just under $19,000.

Also to answer p2ranger's question, the Intelligent Key is a nice feature (and INSIDE the IKey there is a MECHANICAL key in case of malfunction) but what's really nice is the integrated Bluetooth and stereo controls on the steering wheel. Is it worth what you pay for it? Probably not (what is, right?) but it's really nice to have.

What I also found out when I totalled my first V is that options can be the way to have your insurance pay the full value of the car back to you as well as they don't depreciate (at least in State Farm's eyes) like the rest of the automobile...hopefully this will never be an issue for ANYONE but you never know, LOL

Jmeezay

BillyBeaneBall wrote:
Umm, Canadian prices are realtive to American on everything you buy there, based on the value of your dollar compared to ours. When I visited Canada 2 years ago it seemed that something that cost $50 in the U.S. was about $70 in Canada.
That isn't the case anymore. Currently, the US dollar is worth LESS than the Canadian dollar, which is what confuses me even more about the Versa being that much more expensive up there. I got mine for about $15,000 including all of the fees and such.

As far as the Intelligent Key goes, I love it. Its nice that I can lock, unlock and start my engine, all while my "key" is in my purse. Very convenient. The cool thing is that a manual key is inside the Intelligent Key fob, so if it does "break" you can still get into and drive your car. I don't have the ABS, but I *heart* the convenience package. Worth every penny (and probably thousands of pennies more!).

equlizer
Car: Nissan Versa SL with SVT tranny

Well here in Alberta, everyone must get ripped off then. oh well

flaguy2004
Car: F-150

I've actually been in the process of researching fuel efficient cars, and have zeroed in on the Versa also. I am 6'4" tall, so reports of the headroom and legroom drew me to look closer at the V. Also, my wife and I have owned a Pathfinder and an Altima in the past, and liked how well built and reliable those Nissan products were. I haven't even test driven one yet, so unfortunately I can't give any insights as far as that goes.

On the car buying end of things, though, I may have some helpful input. I've never been a very good negotiator when it came to buying cars, so I've spent a lot of time reading up. The advice to check out edmonds.com is excellent. Another very modern tool I've found to be tremendously useful is using links on sites like edmunds to submit a request for a quote online. I live in the Tampa area where there are at least 8 Nissan dealers within about 50 miles. I submitted requests for quotes to all of them. I did not give them my real phone number so I could keep the contact to written letters that I could respond to at my convenience and prevent them from pressuring/hassling me. Two of them only wanted to play games and not answer my direct request for a quote on a very specific vehicle, another two gave me quotes on vehicles with options I didn't ask for and still have not responded to my request for the quote on the specific V I'm looking for (and presumably will not), and the other 4 responded with the quotes I asked for - or at least on the closest vehicle they had in stock. Three of the responding dealers gave me a written quote that was about $500 below invoice without me even having to haggle with them! This was on 2008 models, too, so you may have even more luck on '07s, if you can find one available that fits your needs. This internet quote method may only be working so well because there are so many dealers in my area, but it may be worth a try to go that way to at least start your negotiations. For those that live in a rural area, it may even be worth getting quotes from dealers at greater distances to at least get some leverage against the local dealer.

Also, I am secifically looking for a 2008 SL with CVT and ABS. Two of the dealers had exactly that, so they are indeed out there. One of the dealers informed me that the SL's do not offer ABS without the convenience package, and the other dealers that claim it comes that way are just telling me what I want to hear. I don't think it's any coincidence this is the same idiot that won't budge from charging me the full MSRP minus the $500 rebate only. AAhhhh. Thank goodness for competition so I can tell salesmen like that exactly where they can stick their offer, and not feel like I'm stuck!

Hopefully this much too long-winded message helps!

Return to “Versa General Chat”