Cold start problem in warm climate

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
cimarookie
Car: 1996 nissan cima

What's up guys? So I just bought a Japanese right hand driver side 96' Nissan Cima FHY33-803843. I'm not sure which infiniti Q45 year it's related to, but i'm guessing 97'.

Car runs great...but on cold starts, it takes a while to start up even when it's cranking properly (well, i would like to think so). I'm finding that I have to floor the gas peddle to help it start. I don't think it's a battery issue (batter is fairly new). I live in the caribbean for medical school so the temperature is 70 degrees F the lowest.

The car starts up right away when the engine is warm from recent use...but if I let it sit a couple hours and the engine cools off... it has to crank a good amount of times before starting (if the help of the gas peddle). If I crank it without pressing on the gas, sometime it shuts back off after a bit of gurgling noise.

I'm ordering parts online from Nissan in Japan (to avoid compatibility issues since I don't know which parts would be compatible with my nissan cima) via a third party and figured I should ask you guys what parts i should get to fix this problem. All this long cranking time with the occasional failure to start and having to try again is very embarrassing lol.

A bit of additional info worth mentioning is that when i bought the car, the car gas tank was on E. not sure how long it was like this. with that said, I don't think the previous owner could afford maintaining the car and don't have any maintenance records. other than the problem with starting the car after hours of it sitting (engine cooling off), the car runs great.

I haven't done any maintenance on it yet- since i'm still in the process of ordering parts from Japan. Let me know what parts I should order. Thanks guys!

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”