Cold air intake

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
D_roc
Car: 2001 Maxima 20th aniv edition

i need a CAI jut want to know weather to buy one of those cheap ebay ones for $35 or a ingen for $200, and what is the difference between the cheap one and the ingens b/c they both look the same aluminum tube and both had K & N filters , also is it going to be a problem if it sit inside the engine bay or do i have to route it to the bumperthanksD

Daddygonz
Car: 2010 Mustang GT,04 Infiniti G35 coupe,04 Roush Focus,02 Infiniti I35,94 S-10 PU,91 Golf 16v,90 Camry,86 300ZXT

How about a Cosmo CAI? I got mine for my 02 I35 and it cost me $95.

D_roc

looks good where did you buy it from

blackmax23
Car: 1999 Nissan Maxima SE-L

I don't know much about the ebay joints, but I couldn't be happier with my Injen CAI. And it's not a K&N filter, Injen makes their own cone filters. It's similar, though. The sound that it makes is just unreal. It roars!

BIAbenny

D_roc wrote:i need a CAI jut want to know weather to buy one of those cheap ebay ones for $35 or a ingen for $200, and what is the difference between the cheap one and the ingens b/c they both look the same aluminum tube and both had K & N filters ,
Well the difference is whether you lose power or gain a bit

nismo1219
Car: '12 Nissan Altima 3.5SR
'99 Nissan Maxima GLE

i also have the injen, but i tossed their crappy filter and slid on a k&n filter and whoa! i love it!

i believe, if im not mistaken, that the short rams will give you better low-end response where as the longer intakes will give better high-end response....but dont quote me.

D_roc

so which one will give me more power short or long? i'm looking for any way to increase the hp on my car other than those fake a$$ chips, and did i mention cheap

blackmax23

Nismo1219 is exactly right. CAI gives you more mid to top end and a short ram will give you more low to mid power. So I'd recommend get a Cold Air and if you wish to get more low to mid range power, take off the "down" pipe that goes from the MAF sensor down underneath and just stick the filter on the end of the MAF sensor instead. That's what I'm doing for the winter months here in NY and it's def. true, I can feel a lot more response from low end than I could when I had the full tube on. Also, the quality of the Injen is awesome, I'd recommend that all day!

jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

D_roc wrote:i need a CAI jut want to know weather to buy one of those cheap ebay ones for $35 or a ingen for $200, and what is the difference between the cheap one and the ingens b/c they both look the same aluminum tube and both had K & N filters , also is it going to be a problem if it sit inside the engine bay or do i have to route it to the bumperthanksD
if you want a true CAI, then your only choice is the cattman intake. the injen 'CAI' is just routed lower in the engine bay, right behind the radiator. last i checked, the radiator is not the coolest spot in the bay. the cattman resolves this issue by routing the intake into the fender completely isolating it from any and all engine heat. this is done by removing the battery, cutting a hole below the battery tray, allowing the filter to sit just inside the fender. here it is free from the heat of the engine and any elements such as rain, snow, or whatever. i had this intake on my max and the only thing i changed was the filter. i put an AEM dryflow on it. the performance over that of the injen is astounding. and its only $215.

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

Not that this topic hasn't been covered to death already, but is my decision maker 2.0

How is your climate? If it runs cool for most of the year or if it's just flat out cold, do yourself a favor and just get a WAI shortram. It will give you a nice sound a few extra HP and you might actually improve fuel economy.

The reason for this is that the engine will heat up outside air before it gets to the filter and ideally you don't want super cooled air just "cold air".

When I drive my I30 in 50 degree weather, she pulls like none other.

IF you live somewhere where it's warm most of the year or the summers get really hot, I'd go with the Cattman setup. Run it full length during the warm months and run it short during the cooler months.

If you have the WAI in hot weather, fuel economy and power suffer drastically. I was down to 16 MPG while driving tame in 100+ degree weather.

blackmax23

jltibbs wrote:the performance over that of the injen is astounding.
What do you mean, has there really been a hp/torque comparison between the two, with dyno proven results? And even so, this whole debate over short ram, cold air, we're talking a 1-2 hp difference. What I love about the Injen CAI is it's direct bolt-on, no mods, no cutting, just bolt on and hear it scream. End of story.

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

when i say performance, i dont just mean HP, i mean performance overall. HP gains, whether large or small over injen, is still HP gains. when i bought my injen, it was $275, and i am pretty sure that the price is still somewhere around that. the cattman is a better design, less expensive, and in technicality, is a true 'CAI'. you take the HP gains, even if it is 1HP, plus the 1-2 MPG increase over the injen, plus the fact that its less expensive, add that all up and you should come out on top by going with the cattman over injen.

honestly, i don't care which intake d_roc gets. i just offered my knowledge and experiences to allow him to choose whats best for his pockets and personal preference. sorry if i ruffled your feathers.

nj1sh
Car: maxima 96

how much hp increase can you expect from cattman cai? 7-8?

blackmax23

jltibbs wrote: i just offered my knowledge and experiences to allow him to choose whats best for his pockets and personal preference. sorry if i ruffled your feathers.
Nah, you didn't ruffle any feathers at all, I just never heard of any more gains from the cattman over the Injen, so I was curious. And you keep saying a "true" CAI, yes the Injen sits down by the radiator, but it is completely away from any heat of the engine all together, with no drilling, so honestly, I think it's worth the extra $$. Also, someone mentioned earlier that you have to worry about water getting up into the filter...it takes a full 2 liters of water to run the risk of hydrolock. The Injen filter sits a lil above the low part of the bumper, so as long as you are going in any puddles deep enough to go over your front bumper, you got nothing to worry about! Good luck with your decision!

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

oh there is no need whatsoever for anyone to worry about hydrolock on either intake. i had my injen for 2 years (and put almost 100K mi on it) while delivering pizzas in rain, snow, sleet, you name it and never even thought twice about hydrolock.

nj1sh

soo which one of these cai's will perform best on a 4th gen maxima? i cant decide which one to get now.

blackmax23

It's hard to say without dyno hp/torque numbers. But I guess it's about preference, I believe they both come in black and chrome, well, at least I know the Injen one does. Injen also has tuned intakes now as well. And there's no drilling at all, just direct bolt-on. Both of them are quality intakes that will last the life of your car. I know you'd be happy with either one of them.

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

Does your state have smog restrictions?

If so, the "Cattman" (Actually Place Racing per Cattman himself) is not CARB legal. I don't know if that applies to any states other than Cali.

nj1sh

is it the filter that gives cattman a better performance or the structure itself? I am thinking of getting an injen with another filter similar to cattman.

blackmax23

Theoretically, it's the Cattmann's placement of the filter that gives it the cold air capabilities. The problem is, however, that you have to drill into the fender and possibly, I'm not sure though, have to move the battery. Don't quote me on that, but I believe someone told me that. Honestly, the Injen filters are just like the K&N's and allow the same amount of air flow in. The sponge filters like the Cattmann supposedly filter out more contaminates, but don't last as long and aren't as durable as the cone filters are. I've washed mine a few times and clean the cone up and the inside of the piping all the way up to the MAF sensor is spot free clean. Each one has it's trade-offs.

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

on the cattman you only have to remove the battery for installation because the hole is drilled below the battery tray. afterwards everything goes back into place.

D_roc

well cattman it is where can i buy one for a fair price they don't have any on ebay

oilerftbll84
Car: 2002 Maxima

I have an Injen CAI and im happy with it. Only bad thing is it cost like $250. Sounds great!

nj1sh

where did you find it for $250? I cant find any sites who sell it below $279

dr-rjp
Car: 1998 I30

nj1sh wrote:soo which one of these cai's will perform best on a 4th gen maxima? i cant decide which one to get now.
Get any one that does not suck in hot air from the engine bay. I don't care who makes it, but a CAI that sucks in hot air is an oxymoron and should be called an HAI.

The name of the game is getting cooler (and/or more dense) air into your throttle, and that is only possible when the outside air is efficiently routed inside. These "CAI's" that get hooked up directly to the MAF make more noise than usable power.

People often drill a 3" hole inside their fender wall to route the CAI pipe through and mount the filter to it, thereby drawing in air from the wheel well instead of the engine bay.

There are also ways to mod a stock intake so that will perform like a CAI and save you money in the process.

Remember, the stock intake already has an opening to the outside air, and at high speeds, it can be made to draw in more outside air than a CAI could.

Whenever I get the money, I'll dyno what I've created. Until then, all I can supply (besides performance estimates) are the pressure and temperature changes measured inside the airbox as a result of the mod.

If I had to recommend one, though, I would choose the dual-chambered, AEM Dry Flow with the available bypass valve.

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

How come nobody took my advice? It's the most sound and logical

dr-rjp,

There are actually a few people who will argue that WAIs improve fuel economy by keeping the fuel rate low.

I'm not one of those people, but I do KNOW that my WAI performs great in cold weather, leading me to believe that the very cold outside air mixes with engine heat to produce closer to optimal combustion temps.

The other benefit of the WAI (if a CAI cannot be obtained) is the removal of the air flow restrictions on the 4th gen intake assembly. I know that many of them were there for sound purposes, but it's a poor design.

I went from having a cone filter at where the air box used to be, to completely fabricating a new pipe to replace the vacuum hose box and realized an increase in performance.

D_roc

think this will work or just a waste of money?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

nj1sh

just bought an injen intake for 255 free shipping http://stores.ebay.com/JDM-IN-STORE

blackmax23

Thata boy, great choice! Give us your thoughts once it's installed.

McSteve
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30

Hey Guys, I just talked to Brian Catts today (the guy that owns cattman) and the company making their intake went outta business and they sold all their stock. Reason being that 1 out of 5 people had problems installing the Intake, especially drilling the hole part, and Brian said that for most people it t ook half a day to put on and he got tons of phonecalls from frustrated people. Also the newer the car it harder was to fit the intake into the engine bay and he decided that in the newest gens there is no way it would fit and thus would be unreasonable to keep producing em. Supply and Demand, that's how it goes, so unless you find a used one, no more Cattman intake. He is a really cool guy tho, and he says that he personally uses the Jim Wolf pop filter and that one runs at 125, but is specifically engineered for the Maximas, and he said they Dynoed great results with that one

Oh and also: Hi guys! I've been a member for like 6 months now but never really said hi, AND i'm even gonna upload a pic of my kickass I30 today. Too bad he's goin to the shop. IAC valve broke and fried my ECU YEHAAAA!

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”