coilover and camber questions:yes i searched!!

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
turboweege

2 questions:1. ok, i searched and never found a difinitive answer to the rear camber question. the rear eccentric bolt should go up to .5 degrees of camber and pdm has whitline adjustable one to .75, and ive even heard of routing the hole to adjust camber further. what i want to know before i end up getting 2 alignments is if i lower the car 2" is the stock camber adjustment in the rear gonna be fine?2. next, i got a set of coilovers and the front and rear are really indestinguishable except i know that the front use the 450s and the rear the 250 springs. the only thing is they are both skinny springs like the rear, is that gonna make the front messed up since they are wider perches/springs than the rear?thanx in advanceluigi

turboweege

ttt

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

1. you didnt search enough, the 240sx.org links/installs has a link on hwoto adjust your rear camber more than .5 degrees, when in doubt, get a set of rear upper arms that are adjustble from battle version, TEIn, cusco, etc.2.the springs and shock heights(unloaded) should be different front to rear, allong with the mounts, being the front is a strut and the rear is a more traditional shcoks/spring combo...

-chet

Daves240
Car: Solo2, Solo Trials, Ice hockey

1) I don't think anyone has a definitive answer of how many degrees you will increase when you lower your car. I would think a 2" drop would gain more than .5 degrees, so to get stock camber you'd need more adjustment to back it off, I'd get the aftermaket stuff to be on the safe side.

2) The spring's overall diameter doesn't matter to the car as long as you put the correct rates in the correct spot. Just to make sure...You aren't trying to put the "coilover" spring on the stock front strut are you? Also depending on the length of the spring and type of tires you have up front you may need spacers.

What are the lengths of the springs? Are these coilovers or a coilover "kit" (springs and sleeves)?

David J.'89 240sx

turboweege

well i wasnt asking what options for camber i had, i was curious whether a 2" drop in the rear would require one or if the stock eccentric adjustment would be adequet.they are arospeed coilovers and i was planning on using the stock front struts for about a month till i get my tax return, is that gonna be a prob or should i get aftermarket ones right away??

Daves240

Your stock ones *will* work, but they won't work *well*. I would suggest waiting, until you get your aftermarket shocks. I run AGX's w/ 450lbs springs in the summer. I think I am really pushing the AGX's with that high of a rate, I've heard from local road racers that they are only good up to 300ish lbs., above that their life shortens.

I am not familiar with the areospeed kit, but I would assume you'd have to use the stock front upper mounts. When I switched to my coilover kit, the stock upper mounts didn't work well, there was some play betweeen the strut rod and the bearing shell. So I am now looking into getting adj. front camber plates and rear pillow ball mounts.

David J.'89 240sx

turboweege

how can i tell if ill need to get front spacers?? the spacers on 240sx.org are only .375 inches thick. how much difference will that really make. i think im just gonna have to take it apart and do some trial and error....luigi

Daves240

Either you do some hardcore measuring or you just wait and see. A good reason not to trash your stock struts- you can put them back if there is a problem with fitment. Does your kit say you need to cut the stock perches? I had to with mine, just curious...

David J.'89 240sx

turboweege

the kit doesnt say so but i may need to, i guess ill have to see. i ordered 2 rear eccentric bushings and ill probably get another set of front camber bolts just in case ill need them. anyone know who carries universal spacers in stock? thanxluigi

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”