Coil Springs

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Timmearl36
Car: 1999 infinity Q45 Base

Hey ppls . I have a 99 infinity q 45 that is in dyer need of suspension work!(all four sides) recently I bought struts (Tokiko Blues) for the front. I have never done suspension work before so I am wet behind the ears here and could use some advice. Now that I have my front struts I am looking for a good coil spring! A little bit of drop and pretty stiff due to I am setting it up to drift I hope! I have a lot of work to do still but everything I have read consist of 90-96. Nothing later????? So I am in the dark here! First off I need to know the size of coil springs stock. I have 1.25" to be able to drop the car before front fender hits tire. The front tire size as of this moment are255/60/16's. But I will be upgrading tire and wheel size later! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

Come to NICO...first it is Infiniti - the y is for the stereo company :)

So if you do indeed have a 99' Q45 you have purchased incorrect struts for the front. The 97-01 Q45 came with KYB not Tokiko as the 90-96 did. If you do find that those fit (they will not) you have found a fitment that nobody else has ever found on this board. Where did you get them? How said they would fit, the suspension on the 97-01 was completely different than the 1st generation.

As for springs there are no off-the-shelf springs left in the marketplace. There were Tein and Espelir springs at one time but all are no longer made and haven't been scene in a long time. Do not cut your factor springs to lower your car.

So if for some amazingly crazy stroke of luck you have found the only pair of Tokiko Blues that would fit a 99' Q45 your stuck with the stock springs. But I am 99.9999999% sure that you have a set of shocks that were designed for a 90-96 Q45 and will not fit. So about the only non-OEM option you have left in this market are coil overs.

I have a 97' that about 11 years ago got Tein springs and KYB SR Specials which blew out and were replacec by BC Coilovers. The choice for me after many months of looking ws go back to stock, junk the car, or go coil overs.

Timmearl36

Well sh#t! No I doubt my luck is that good! I ordered them from US Auto Parts! On their page it said fits 99 when they arrived the paperwork said 90-93. I was thinking that it was too easy and way too cheap 185$ for both! So even tho the 99 came with KYB struts Tokiko doesn't make anything that swaps? I also read that the 300zx has many parts that are interchangeable with th q45. Is this true (I.e.rear end & sway bars). Also will skyline parts interchange???
How do your BC coilovers handle in comparison to stock??? Also would you recommend struts or shock for the rear? As I said I'm trying to get a pretty stiff suspension so your input is very helpful! Thanks

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

Sorry man I knew that was going happen. The 90-96 Q45 has some overlap on suspension parts with the 90-96 300ZX but your setup is completely different and only KYB made those strut inserts and shocks. I found some KYB SR Specials back about 10 years ago from a guy that was importing from Japan, they were never offered here in the US. They blew out thus my BC Coilovers.

So the BC's are like night and day with the stock, it essentially takes what was your dad's Buick and turns the car into an Infiniti Version of a 5M. The handles so flipping nice now it is just crazy...but the ride is for sure way stiffer so you have to be down with a stiffer ride. I had a lot of issues with alignment so my mechanic made me a set of adjustable tension rods, which really made it handle like crazy.

The real only choices left is going for OEM from a dealership or do the BC's. The rear are shocks, front are shocks. If you plan to keep and drive the car for awhile go for the BC's

Timmearl36

Thank you Jeff your insight has been en lightening. I read several post on your BC coilovers and have decided to try em out! I miss not driving her (my car). I sent the Tokiko Blues back yesterday and ordered my coilovers as well! I'll post as I get ready to Install! Thanks again.

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

Good luck, think hard about what ride height you wan to put them at, I actually used the out of the box ride height which lowers the car but not super lower. When i ran my Tein's the car was about 1/2" lower than it is now and I can now go over large speed bumps without hitting the cats on the center of the bump like it used to. Don't be tempted to go super low as this is a very long car.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”