coil burn problem HELP!

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
ptysileighty
Car: s13 240sx w/ rb25det s1 , Toyota Sequoia TRD, 1982 Vette

Hi,
I own a s13 w/ rb25det s1 swap.
Bought new coils replacement for oem.

Everytime i turn the car on and accelerate it a bit, coil #1 seems to burn...
Ive had this problem with 2 coils already which melted. This only happens to #1

Any suggestions?
Car is running a z32 chipped ecu...

Some say maybe a ground issue...or too much voltage? :confused:

Any help or comment would be appreciated, thx

George

tyndago

Series 1, all the coils get the same power source. The only thing that comes though the ECU is the trigger to fire.

How does it "burn"?

ptysileighty

tyndago wrote:Series 1, all the coils get the same power source. The only thing that comes though the ECU is the trigger to fire.

How does it "burn"?
thx for reply,
yeah exactly, in series 1 all the coils get the same power source, so if there's an issue all the coils will consequently melt.

I was thinking maybe the z32 ecu was the problem.

It just melts #1 coil, we took it out and its very very hot that it melts the outer casing, inside aswell.

I'm gonna try work on it this saturday, ill post any updates...

tyndago

I have seen coils melt before. I am trying to remember what was the exact cause of the problem. I think it was a wiring issue.

Was this a new issue, or has it always had this problem?

ptysileighty

tyndago wrote:I have seen coils melt before. I am trying to remember what was the exact cause of the problem. I think it was a wiring issue.

Was this a new issue, or has it always had this problem?
well, at first i did the wiring with some mechanic and the engine was stock. Never had trouble with the coil melting before.

I upgraded, turbo, ecu, injectors etc, and had all the wiring removed, with another mechanic, cuz the first one left the country.

So maybe its something in the wiring, but weve checked everything and dont seem to find the problem :frown:

sxcblu32
Car: 1992 r32 with rb25det

i also hav this problem with number 3 coil burnin out in my rb25det r32. i hav replaced coils spark plugs plugs and fitted after market ems ignitors as i am running a aftermarket ems ecu. the car ran fine untill bout 3 weeks ago and then it started intermittantely (what sounded like) losin spark on one cylinder now it has burnt out the no 3 coilpack. i hav auto elec comin on monday to rewire from ecu to ignitors and from ignitors to coil packs. will repost on the result

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

LS/LQ coils :)

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”