Code 11 Crank Angle Sensor| HELP!!! please

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
StonedRhyder
Car: 91 240sx ka24de

I changed my oil one day, got into it to start it up and wouldn't start. Checked over everything and used the ECS in the car and got code 11. Code 11 is Crank Angle Sensor, Looked it up in the Chilton book and all they have under crank angle sensor is the definition. My question to anyone that may help is Where the hell is it? Any pictures? Has anyone gotten this code, if so how to fix it? Thanks for everyones time and effort, just trying to get the monster running again. I have looked every where over the net to find pictures or where it is. just need some help

wa-chiss
Car: 1990 Nissan S13 H/C KA24E
2005 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Honda CB750F Super Sport

the CAS is in the distributor. It's a thin metal disc with 360 holes that form a ring on it. It passes through a "Hall-effects" sensor. if all you did was change oil, you could have bumped the connector or gotten oil on it which seeped in. On the SOHC, the connector is in front of the valve cover. might be the same for the DOHC. Just follow the wires (not the spark plug wires) that come out of it to the connector. Unplug, inspect (clean if needed with some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip)and connect it back once it dries. Disconect the battery for 5 minutes or clear codes through the ECU itself and see if that helps. If the code remains on, you need a new distributor.

StonedRhyder

[QUOTE=wa-chiss]the CAS is in the distributor. It's a thin metal disc with 360 holes that form a ring on it. It passes through a "Hall-effects" sensor. if all you did was change oil, you could have bumped the connector or gotten oil on it which seeped in. On the SOHC, the connector is in front of the valve cover. might be the same for the DOHC. Just follow the wires (not the spark plug wires) that come out of it to the connector. Unplug, inspect (clean if needed with some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip)and connect it back once it dries. Disconect the battery for 5 minutes or clear codes through the ECU itself and see if that helps. If the code remains on, you need a new distributor. [/QUOT

I have already tried to clean it the other day, no luck. I thought is was in there but had to make sure. Already orderd a new one. Thanks again!! NICO to the rescue!

StonedRhyder

well, I havent gotten the distributor yet, testing some things out 1st. My father-in-law doesnt think its the distributor (even though thats what the code came up with). He thought is was the coil, we test the coil to make sure it was putting out a good spark. It had a great spark. We then pull the #1 spark plug and checked to see if the spark was reaching the spark plug, It had a great spark. We then made sure the engine was getting gas, spark plug taken out smelled like gas so that was okay. Made sure the fuel pump was working, checked the fuel filter and that was good. He thinks that since spark was all there it couldnt be the distributor. My question to you is, can I still get the spark and everything even though the code 11 came up? I had reset my computer (i.e. disconnecting the battery for 5 min.) we made sure it was TDC, and yes not the exhaust TDC. Lined the rotor to plug #1, lined the little marks at the end of the distributor ( the teeth end). I dont have alot of money to take it into a shop, and it my daily driver. any help?? i have the ka24de engine btw

Wc240
Car: 89 240
97 200sx
91 240 ka-t
06 scion xb
2000 frontier

your engine can run damn neer perfect and get that codeCAS doesnt make spark, just says when to spark. quick thing to check, look at the rotor(lil disk inside the dist) and make sure it and the sensor are CLEAN!

StonedRhyder

it is clean, just replaced it.

Wc240
97 200sx
91 240 ka-t
06 scion xb
2000 frontier

id say disconnect it, clean/ispect the connection. check for power and the ground

StonedRhyder

okay, will do. Today i sprayed some connection cleaner into the connection and cleaned it with a q-tip. Waitted till it dried and tryied with no resalt. Cant make it to work till I get this car running, will post 2marrow after i try it. Thanks for the help

StonedRhyder

just got the new distributor in and checked power and grounds, everything is good and still no start......... any ideas? about to bit the bullet and tow the dam thing in to get done by a nissan dealership and pay out the a**!

wa-chiss
Car: 1990 Nissan S13 H/C KA24E
2005 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Does it crank but not fire?Does it not crank at all?Start then die out?

Just because you smell gas when the spark plug wire is disconected doesn't mean you're getting the right amounts of gas. Try renting a Noid Light Set. Autozone, O'Reilly's, any CSK should rent them out. That'll tell you if the injectors are getting signal. Test the Ignitor. Test the coil. Don't just crank the car with the wire off the plug. Take coil off the car and test it. It might look like it's got a good spark but I've been fooled before. Through the propper tests it was bad.

If you know a buddy with a KA24DE and doesn't mind you trying thier ECU then swap'em and see what happens. While you're at it, try swapping the coils, and the ignitor. All fairly easy swaps and done 1 at a time, will help you find the problem.

Wc240
97 200sx
91 240 ka-t
06 scion xb
2000 frontier

^^ you WILL get raped for the diag on that. do what wa-chiss suggested first. then, what you come up with after that, go from there

StonedRhyder

GOT IT STARTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tinkerd all day, checking loads, volts, watts. cleaned every ground, charged battery, disconnected everything and cleaned it and connected it. Also I ran to autozone picked up a new distributor put it in and with in three tries I got it started. Thanks for all the help you two! Might have been a bad ground, but i think it was the crank angle sensor cuz it popped off the third try. If you guys ever need anything let me know and i'll see if I can repay you the favor.

Wc240
97 200sx
91 240 ka-t
06 scion xb
2000 frontier

glad to hear you got it fixed. see, now think of the money you still have becouse you didnt tow it.

StonedRhyder

yeah, now I can put that money towards upgrades

StonedRhyder

how do i test the coil? okay, I have a 91 nissan 240sx se ka24de .well I had code 11 (crank angle sensor), so I replaced the distibutor with one from advanced auto. Put it in, and it ran good for about a week. Then on the way home from work one day it killed on the highway. Wouldnt restart, so I had it towed to a shop. He pulled code 11 (crank angle sensor) and he replaced my distibutor. It ran good for 1 day, good enough to get it home. Then last night I was driving and it died again after only running it for about 5 min. I let it stay on the side of the road for the night. I came back this morning and it started right up no problems or anything. Well again driving it for 5 min. it killed again as I am pulling up to my house. Wont start again, going to try it in 15 min. see if it starts. My questions to anyone who will help is, what els could be causeing this? I know I couldnt have gotten 2 brand new distributors that went bad in the matter of a week and a day. It almost seems to me when the car gets to "normal" operating temp. it kills. So far if I wait 15 min. it will start right up. Grounds are all good, im getting pissed cuz I cant get this thing to run for longer than about 5-15min now. any help me here I would love it!!!

StonedRhyder

Wc240 wrote:glad to hear you got it fixed. see, now think of the money you still have becouse you didnt tow it.
i let me car sit for about an hour, let it cool down. I got in and it started right up. I took the plug wire out of the coil and looked for a spark, sure as sshhhhcaaka it had a spark. But when I let the car warm up and get to normal temp. there isnt any spark from the coil. Im thinking its the coil but is there any other reason why the coil wouldnt send a spark when it warms up???

Wc240
97 200sx
91 240 ka-t
06 scion xb
2000 frontier

still hungover at the moment, id really like to help you tho. what you need to do is trace the system. the connections and wires. then look at the components, supseptable to heat. try running it and tap on the power transistor, stuff kinda like that, ill be back on here later, but try lightly tapping on stuff while its running proper.

StonedRhyder

Wc240 wrote:still hungover at the moment, id really like to help you tho. what you need to do is trace the system. the connections and wires. then look at the components, supseptable to heat. try running it and tap on the power transistor, stuff kinda like that, ill be back on here later, but try lightly tapping on stuff while its running proper.
Wouldnt start today when I went to get it off the side of the road. Had to tow it back to my house, i just had put a new coil in it. I also tried to tap on the power transistor while cranking it. ..... think by computer has gone bad?

StonedRhyder

StonedRhyder wrote:
Wouldnt start today when I went to get it off the side of the road. Had to tow it back to my house, i just had put a new coil in it. I also tried to tap on the power transistor while cranking it. ..... think by computer has gone bad?
is there a way to test the power transistor??? was told that might be the part messing things up. Its attached to the coil housing fram, one of the other plug ins on the coil frame.

StonedRhyder

I think I fixed it, check out (Question about ignition coil(?) replacement - repost in this forum) topic.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”