CoD: Black Ops 2

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

http://pc.ign.com/articles/122/1224070p1.html

I know alot of people that either love or hated the first installment. Personally I loved it, I thought it was one of the best CoD's with emblems customization, epic zombies, weapons and killstreaks, yada yada etc you know the game. I really want to pick this up later this year in November. And hey whatya know, I believe its a week after AC III comes out. Looks like a fun month of gaming.

RCA

My first CoD was Modern Warfare. I jumped on board half way through the games life cycle and so I missed the 1st months bugs that all games have. So with that said CoD4 is my favorite but in a very close 2nd was BlackOps. My favorite part of it was the developer support.

Anyway, Blops2 looks interesting but I don't like the spacey feel that Blops2 is going for. If I wanted spacey I could have played Mass Effect or Halo. It makes for a nice change of pace in the series but I'm all about the multiplayer (MP) and so where they decided to go there with will determine whether or not I approve. From what I heard they plan on having futury type MP so we will see. It's a slippery slope and I can see things getting out of hand.

orangeNblue
Car: 2008 Nissan 350z

I think this game looks amazing. Treyarch has always made the best games in the COD franchise. If infinity ward/sledgehammer was the creator of this one I'd be running the other way. The story mode sounds great with the new side missions and endings being based on the decisions you make. As far as multiplayer goes, I really hope they keep the same customization like they had with the first one....it took me a while to make my emblem, but in the end it was one of my favorite parts of the game!

I like that its set in the future. It is something original for once in the series. And then of course there's ZOMBIES!!!!

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

The Blops2 trailer is batsh@t nuts. And not in a good way. Any game with a sense of humor about being that batsh@t would be amazing. But it won't have a sense of humor. It's DRAMATIC (cue music) and cinematic (cue grit). So much of it looks incredibly scripted. CoD has devolved from videogames into partially interactive CG movies.

I have not had any interest in a CoD game since the second. Somehow, I mange to become LESS interested with each new installment.

alms24sebring

You might have a point about it being scripted, and now that I think about it its something they can mess up quickly. I also thought Halo as I was watching it. Other than that, SP and MP are completely different experiences. Ive never been let down by a CoD Campaign mode by any maker and Blops1 had one of the best IMO. It was great. So, I will have confidence in it being good. I really hope it doesnt turn into Halo, but it seems to be more like Homefront for those who have played it.

RCA

MinisterofDOOM wrote:The Blops2 trailer is batsh@t nuts. And not in a good way...
That's single player though...
Yeah 6 hours of the game might be difficult to deal with, but I'm in it for the MP. I've got 15 days so far in MW3 and it's only half way through it's life cycle.
You might not like the cinematic aspect of SP but they are telling a story so if they decide to tell it like a movie, it doesn't bother me. Not sure why that would matter so much that it would keep you from playing it. Granted there are a LOT more issues that would keep me from buying it but the SP isn't one of them.

alms24sebring

^ Agreed, almost all the people look for a good multiplayer specifically. The SP is like a side mission like Spec Ops and Zombies, which were also great

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

CoD Multiplayer has barely changed since COD2. It has VERY LITTLE depth, and even the most complex gamemodes are only extremely losely team-based. It's all about the K:D ratio and personal performance. Sure, there's crap to incentivise doing stuff to generally help the team, but the combat itself is not team-centric. The gamemodes are not strategic or dependent on teamwork. It's just deathmatch or team deathmatch or CTF with various rule modifiers. And it's not even well-executed versions of these age-old modes. There are SO MANY FPSs out there that do multiplayer that's INTERESTING. I don't understand how CoD's flat, featureless, insipid genericness manages to grab so much attention. TF2, Tribes Ascend, Section 8, MAG, Shattered Horizon, even ancient Counterstrike all DO SOMETHING other than give you a gun and let you play. Hell, if you're looking for just basic shoot-stuff gameplay, there are STILL tons of better options, like Serious Sam or Painkiller or even TFC or Quake Live. And many of these games are free to play or dirt cheap with regular content updates, where CoD is $60 and then $15 for four measley maps periodically.

CoD can suck my balls.

alms24sebring

It sells because its fast paced and can get alot of kills. You can make it team oriented if you work as a team covering a side of the map and have everyone looking in a different direction. If everyone has mic's and knows what they're doing and helping one another with different killstreaks fit for them, there can and are some powerful teams out there that my team has gotten punished by. You cant walk into a random TDM and expect the same no, but clans that seem to play professionally make it very competitive and strategic. Its not really meant to be too tactical like directing an army, thats exactly the point. Thats what the other games as you mentioned are out there for. Its easy for all ages to play. Games are quick, fast paced, and exciting, and thats what keeps interest. I like Battlefield 3 but when a game goes on for 30 mins regularly, it gets tiring.

Anyways, not to get off topic about which war fighting game is the best (early CoD's had great SP) and why its $15 for simple maps, I hope Blops2 is as fun or more fun than the first. Most of all, unlike MW3 :)

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

alms24sebring wrote:It sells because its fast paced and can get alot of kills.
Pah. CoD is fast paced in the same way Smart cars are huge.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV4cPGL0wFk[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c77MsG6fNcU[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXTxVD9PKDU[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xapRqH8c8FY[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcMrdp2-z2k[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynrF2es08ds[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glo-zMI6ics[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqsU5nWLguU[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL7lXydozU8[/youtube]
(Apologies for the terrible music in this one...just hit mute)

alms24sebring wrote:You can make it team oriented
You can make Peggle team oriented if you get 4 people at the keyboard. There's still nothing innately team-based about it. Same holds true for CoD. You can work together, but the combat mechanics and game modes are not designed around teamwork. So it's not fast-paced nor team-oriented nor strategic. It's just generic.

RCA

MinisterofDOOM wrote:CoD Multiplayer has barely changed since COD2.
Is the problem the cinematics or the multiplayer? Or both?

As for the examples posted; it's not considered "generic" or "slowpace" unless it's a PC game that resembles quake and or has science fiction weapons? Most of those resemble Quake MP; weapons on strategic parts of the map and hyper speed or sci-fi weapons. Team Fortress was probably the best example but even then, there is a medic that shoots beams of health and can follow around and keep you alive... Are there any non-generic, fasted paced modern shooters that don't take place in a space environment? You must think Battle Field MP is garbage; it's slow, you can't jump 25 feet in the air, and you can't fire laser beams at enemies.

As for team oriented, all these clips look like individual highlights. The gentlewo/men in the Unreal Tournament clip was a one wo/man wrecking crew, doesn't look like much team oriented play. CoD clips like that are the most popular types but I don't play MP unless I'm with a competent group of people that communicate. If this means covering a high traffic area and dying a lot, so be it. My win loss ratio is near 10. But I will say that some games have systems where it takes 15+ shots to kill someone and so killing some one solo is nearly impossible and so team work is crucial. CoD isn't like that but to be successful you need team work. Maybe it's different type of team work but you still need intelligent team strategy to win.

orangeNblue

COD is definitely not a team game, but having a team does make it that much more fun. Personally I like the fact that I can come into any match and go beast, even though I'm playing by myself.

But with this game you either like the game or you don't. MOD is just one of those people who don't and never really will. Thing about Treyarch is that they actually care about the people buying their game. They make it so that problems are fixed. They build a game based on what people want and ask for. This next version of black ops should be a good one.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

RCA wrote:As for the examples posted; it's not considered "generic" or "slowpace" unless it's a PC game that resembles quake and or has science fiction weapons?.
Nah, a few of those games are definitely "generic." But they were the best youtube vids of the best games I could think of to demonstrate truly fast-paced shooters.

I was going to include some MAG footage for the team-based and tactical comments, but couldn't find any decent ones without some moron or another talking over the action a lot. PC titles are just easier to capture footage of so there are more better quality videos of them.

The point of some of these videos is that it's possible to do "generic" TDM or more simple gamemodes without being so bland. The point of others is that the (and I use the term loosely) more realistic one-hit deaths of CoD might translate to lots of respawns, but respawning a lot does not amount to fast-paced gameplay. Twitch shooters are fast-paced, and CoD is not a twitch shooter. It's not tactical or team-oriented either. It falls in the middle, and is hard to describe.

alms24sebring

RCA wrote:
As for the examples posted; it's not considered "generic" or "slowpace" unless it's a PC game that resembles quake and or has science fiction weapons? Most of those resemble Quake MP; weapons on strategic parts of the map and hyper speed or sci-fi weapons. Team Fortress was probably the best example but even then, there is a medic that shoots beams of health and can follow around and keep you alive... Are there any non-generic, fasted paced modern shooters that don't take place in a space environment? You must think Battle Field MP is garbage; it's slow, you can't jump 25 feet in the air, and you can't fire laser beams at enemies.
This. Besides the obvious difference in weapons, environments, and jumping 50 feet quickly, it looks like the same speed and gameplay to me, just more real time speed. How it is any different than a Ground War or game of Domination? In a heated game you have to think fast and shoot first or your dead.

orangeNblue

I'm posting, more so because someone "gaming" needed to put an update in the gaming thread....not sure I picked the best game but here it goes anyways

So I pre-ordered black ops mostly because I have a gamestop gift card burning a hole in my pocket and couldn't find any others that I wanted to buy. The game looks awesome, as most treyarch ones always are. I watched the gameplay from E3 and it showed making the decision to snipe or rappel at an intersection in the game. graphics wise these really aren't the best, but I'm not looking for the most perfect graphics. I just hope that it stays as fun and entertaining as the lat black ops. Treyarch tends to make their games more centered around their customers.

oh yeah and also one of the gamestop rewards for pre-ordering is the level Nuketown 2025. I thought that sounded pretty cool since the last nuketown was always fun to play.

RCA

orangeNblue wrote:graphics wise these really aren't the best
Yeah CoD has never been about the graphics. It's more about getting 60fps on a console, small maps and tons of explosions.
orangeNblue wrote:oh yeah and also one of the gamestop rewards for pre-ordering is the level Nuketown 2025.
That sounds awesome. Nuketown was always a hot bag of mess and I am glad they brought it back. Is this a DLC only map?

orangeNblue

I think so...its free for people who pre-order now, but I'm sure it'll be available to download when the game comes out

alms24sebring

You get Nuketown along with 3 other misc things in May, July, Aug, Oct, depending on when you register it from the preorder. I actually preordered mine today. I assume they wont be available to buy for a few months after the game comes out.

orangeNblue

the first was a poster....kinda cool I guess...I'm curious to see what'll come next

alms24sebring

Yeah it was a MW3 poster. wtf? Ill assume its just map packs for both multiplayer and zombies/survival/whatever.

orangeNblue

I'm sure it'll be map packs, my only hope is it isn't weapons or killstreaks....that would be very frustrating. Have you guys read up on the perks? Personally I think they kinda sound stupid. Especially if slight of hand gets taken out.....I may not buy it if I lose my fast reload, seeing as how I'm one of those who gets the most reloads accolade after every match....it'll drive me crazy because I already get caught reloading enough as is....

alms24sebring

I always used SoH. Why would they get rid of that and not that faganoid last stand crap! God I hate that perk. But no I havent read anything new on it recently.

orangeNblue

so now that a majority of the information on this game has been released, anyone looking forward to this one as much as I am?

I really enjoyed the original black ops and I only played World at War a handful of times, but never had a single thing to complain about. I seems like this game has a lot of though in to it for the sake of the player. If you are a douchey camping (enter explicative here) then this game is going to make you work for your killstreaks.....AND ghost will not hide you from the UAV unless you are moving (which is one of my favorite new things about this game)!

Oh yeah, and I've heard that they're bringing back customized emblems again :mike

RCA

The kill streak system is very interesting.

Looks like this:

- You get 3 points per flag capture and 2 for a flag defend. 1 for a kill.
- - If you stay on the outside of the map just killing in an objective based game than you aren't going to see too much in terms of high kill streaks.

Kill Streaks
- Support Streaks are gone.
- The Blackbird or an equivalent is back.
- Kill streaks cost almost twice as much.
- - UAV is like 6 points.
- - Highest kill streak is like 30+ points. (BTW the highest streak are those swarm of remote mini planes that kamikaze into you. They were shown at the end of the MP trailer. They also take down other killstreaks, enemy equipment and enemy players.)
- Your kill streak will always provide you with points.
- - This is pretty standard but now when you reach your last streak, it continues to add to your next set of streaks.
- - Also your UAV gives you points to your next streak.
- - - When a team mates kill 2 people that were on the mini-map then you get a point.
- - The only time your killstreak meter resets is when you die. So if you call in all three streaks a 6 point, 12 point and 18 point streak and die. If they are still doing damage, they will add to your next life's streaks, the only down side is your streak counter gets reset. So you call them all in and die, then they get you another 6 points and you call that in and die, then they manage to get you another 12 points (because no one shot them down yet) and you defend a flag a few times and earn 6 points on your own. Now you have another set of three streaks. Worst case scenario is if you waste your 3 streaks by getting them all and dying, then they get you 5 points and then you die again, they get you another 5 points and then you die etc.

Other Awesome things
- Death Streaks are gone.
- - No more final stand and dead mans hand. (FU*K I hate those)
- No more last stand perk.
- The awesome stats are back like they were in BLOPs1.

Source: Some one I know has an inside scoop for Treyarch.

orangeNblue

Anyone still looking forward to this title?

The new zombies stuff sounds awesome!

The new trailer shows off one of the game's three new modes, Tranzit mode. This mode allows players to freely roam an open environment either by foot or by bus. While roaming, players will be able to salvage items from the environment to create weapons, fortifications and tools that will help them on their journey through the post-apocalyptic zombie world. Like its predecessors, Tranzit mode is playable by up to four players.

The second mode detailed in the reveal is Survival mode, which is basically what we've seen before in the previous Call of Duty Zombie games. In survival mode, you and up to three other players will be confined to one of the areas found in Tranzit and will have to survive as long as possible against hordes of the undead.

The final mode is Grief mode, which uses the same areas as Survival but supports up to eight players in two four-man teams. The goal is for your team to survive longer than the other. While you won't be able to kill the opposing team, you can strategically use the environment to help feed the opposing team to the zombies.

Unlike the previous Zombie modes, the Black Ops 2 Zombies mode will utilize the game's multiplayer engine, meaning you'll have access to things like improved matchmaking, stat tracking, leaderboards and customizable games. You can expect to hear more details surrounding the Zombie mode as the Black Ops 2 November 13th release date approaches.

alms24sebring

Killstreaks sound very interesting and more team oriented, which is good. Thank the flying cheese monster above that Final Stand is gone. Thats all I ever asked for.

orangeNblue

i know...someone must have been listening and answered our prayers....also ghost only hides you from a UAV if you are moving!!

I love they way treyarch makes their COD games...typically most things are right on with the game as a whole. I'm seriously excited to get my hands on it

ThatGuyRoger
Car: 08 Super Black Altima Coupe 2.5S

Zombie mode may have sold me on this one, just seen the trailer for it and I got pretty excited. I might have to preorder it as well.

orangeNblue

.......double posted for some reason....
Last edited by orangeNblue on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orangeNblue

multiplayer and campaign both look really good as well...I think anyone who likes COD should be happy with this iteration

Return to “Gaming”