Clutch Problems.

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
DeusEx
Car: Nissan Maxima 2000

ill try to be as brief and as informative as i can. To sum it up my clutch isnt working properly. The cylinder that pumps the hydraulic fluid broke, and was replaced. After that my clutch has been behaving strange, even after adjustments have been made to the cylinder. here are my gripes:

-it is very difficult to shift into first or second gears. Its so difficult i have to ram my back against the seat sometimes.... But shifting into any gear can become difficult, but 1st and 2nd are the hardest.-sometimes the grinding noise is heard when shifting gears. -If the hydraulic cylinder is adjusted, the clutch will operate perfectly for 2-3 days and then this same problem starts happening again.

So what can be the culprit ? When it works its a wonder to drive, when it doesnt i want to shoot myself.

Thanks for any help.

Modified by DeusEx at 11:34 AM 3/17/2008
Modified by DeusEx at 12:28 PM 3/17/2008

DeusEx

no one knows how a clutch works ? well thats disappointing. I am thinking since only one of the cylinders was replaced (i think the master) that the malfunction of the other might be causing this ? Maybe i should replace the slave also ?

coolhand
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima SE

The clutch hydraulics may not be bleed correctly. Nissan's clutch hydraulics are a little different than other makes to bleed. Did you do the repair yourself? Try this:

Get a brake bleeder tool (or you can make one with a empty water bottle, vaccum hose the size of the bleeder opening and a little brake fluid. Pour a small amount the brake fluid into the bottle and stick the vaccum hose into the bottle and the other end of the hose on the bleeder opening )

Bleed the system by pumping the clutch pedal with you hand. (Make sure the clutch master has fluid in it at all times)

Keep doing this until the pedal feel improves( close the bleeder and check it periodically).

If no improvement is found replace the clutch master it may be faulty.

This approach seems to work for only Nissans

DeusEx

well i dont fix it myself, i let my cousin who is a mechanic take care of it. He has a lot of experience with this kind of stuff. Anyway, you guys know how the master cylinder i believe can be adjusted ? So the clutch feels either stiffer or softer ? The freaking weird thing is that if any adjustment is made, the clutch will operate perfectly for 2-3 days and then the same stuff keeps happening. Today he just turned that adjustment nut like 1-2 revolutions and now my clutch is working... But i know that in a couple of days it will stop. So what in the world can be causing this ?

I guess ill try what coolhand said, but damn this is the strangest thing i have ever seen.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”