Clutch Pedal stays on the floor

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
gabezilla275
Car: 2004 350Z

I just changed the clutch on my 04 350z. I had no problems until the very end of the job. my clutch pedal stays down and i have to pull it up manually. I thought if i bleed the system it would fix it. No luck with that. My buddy says its the clutch slave cylinder. Is the slave cylinder what causes the pedal to come back up? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 240SX, '05 350Z, '13 Juke

gabezilla275 wrote:I just changed the clutch on my 04 350z. I had no problems until the very end of the job. my clutch pedal stays down and i have to pull it up manually. I thought if i bleed the system it would fix it. No luck with that. My buddy says its the clutch slave cylinder. Is the slave cylinder what causes the pedal to come back up? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Check the fluid in your S/C after you engage the clutch a few time, there could be a leak in your clutch line or the slave cylinder. You might want to have someone else in the car engage the clutch while you look and listen for the leaks(s). If it's a line leak, or even if it's a CMC leak you should look into putting in a steel clutch line while you're down there taking care of things. That is if you didn't already when you were putting in the new clutch.

In case you need it: NICO 350Z FSM Directory

Good luck! :badger

gabezilla275

i checked for leaks. I found none. I guess its the master cylinder that makes the clutch pedal come back up. I had someone press the clutch while I looked at the slave cylinder. It moves to disengage the clutch it just doesn't go back by itself.

BusyBadger

I'm betting that there is a problem (in a hard to see area) with the clutch master cylinder, it sounds like it's not holding pressure (and making the clutch pedal) return upright. What's odd is that you haven't noticed any change in fluid level, a sure sign of a leak. I think (I'll have to check the FSM or you can if you get a chance before I do) that there's a return spring for the clutch pedal, but given that you just replaced your clutch I'd find it a little hard to believe the problem wasn't related to that, but the spring(s) is still worth checking out.

gabezilla275

fixed it it was the clutch mastercylinder. It was an internal problem. You couldnt really tell by just looking at it. I replaced it and it works great now.

BusyBadger

Awesome! I'm glad everythinng got sorted out. Did you just finally eliminate all the other possible problems and just make a leap of faith and pull the MC and check it out?

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”