Clicking noise...driving me insane

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
douche baggins
Car: 2006 G35 Coupe 6 speed

Just recently my 06 G35 coupe started making a loud click, clack noise at low speeds. It sounds to be coming from the rear of the vehicle, underneath. It almost sounds like there is something stuck in my wheels but I have looked all over and under and there is nothing visibly noticeable. The nearest dealer is 2 hours away so before I make the trip I wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue or might know what is causing it. Thanks.

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

I know it sucks to get to the dealer(2 hours) but that's what I would do.

Zozo

douche baggins

Yeah but my other concern is if its something where I may not want to drive it that far in case its a safety issue. For instance if theres a problem with the brakes.

johnparkyourcar
Car: 03 DG coupe 5AT

i think i know exactly what your going thru. well not exactly, but is it like a high pitched squeaking sound? my car does that on the rear passenger side and i had to take it to 3 different shops (including the dealership - the one in my city sucks, they just glanced at it and said it was fine, unless i wanted to cough up some $$$ for them to really look at it) so i guess theres a sensor or something thats moving around. the shop offered to take a closer look but that meant i would have to replace the pads, which were pretty new then. correct me if im wrong but thats just what i was told, and there seems to not be any effect on driving so im not worried. it just gets really annoying when im driving on bumpy streets where it would squeak like crazy.

zozoka1212

How about roadside assitance?

To be honest I would never buy a car if I don't have a dealership/service in the city. That's exactly the reason what you are experiencing now.

You should at least call them and ask for advice.

It sucks. Let us know how it turns out.

zozo

douche baggins

Well the conditions and general location of the noise sound the same but its not at all a whining noise. Now that I think about it, it sounds like the same sort of noise that occurs when a cv axle goes bad in the front end.

douche baggins

zozoka1212 wrote:How about roadside assitance?

To be honest I would never buy a car if I don't have a dealership/service in the city. That's exactly the reason what you are experiencing now.
Neither would I but unfortunately my career has relocated me. I love my car but for this reason alone I've been considering trading it in for something else. I'll be bringing it into the dealer ASAP and will keep you posted on the diagnosis.

zozoka1212

Thanks and good luck.

Hope everything turns out good. The relocation part sucks. Wouldn't be an option to take it to Nissan dealer?

Just an idea.

asankhe
Car: Infiniti G35

I have been hearing a noise too from my G. It sounds more like creaking noise to me coming from the front wheels. I took my car in too the dealership and they checked it out. The shop guy told me that its the ABS system tries to lock in and makes a noise. It does self test intially when you are at a low speed (~10mph) the first time you drive the car after an extended period (>30mins). I am not sure if this is what you hear too?

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

If it tends to be heard when you are going from acceleration to deceleration or vice-versa, then it's likely that the axles need to be retorqued to the hub. It's a common problem and an easy fix for the dealer. There is a TSB on this as well. I'd call the dealer ahead of time to see if you can arrange to have them do it quickly while you wait since you have such a long drive.

douche baggins

zozoka1212 wrote: Wouldn't be an option to take it to Nissan dealer?

Just an idea.
Yeah but for warranty to cover the repair I believe it has to go an Infiniti dealer.

douche baggins

C-Kwik...thanks for the help. An axle seems to be the most logical problem I can think of. I'll give the dealer in San Diego a ring tomorrow and set something up.

J-Owner
Car: 2010 FX35 owner and former owner of an '05 G35 Coupe and a '95 J30T.

If its a creak are you sure it is from under the car. I just had the same kind of thing happen and it was from the back passenger shelf deck. It was actually a spot weld that had come loose. It took about a week for them to locate the problem and they finally fixed it. It has not creaked again. Perhaps this could be your problem.

You might ask the dealer about it.

douche baggins

J-Owner wrote:If its a creak are you sure it is from under the car. I just had the same kind of thing happen and it was from the back passenger shelf deck. It was actually a spot weld that had come loose. It took about a week for them to locate the problem and they finally fixed it. It has not creaked again. Perhaps this could be your problem.

You might ask the dealer about it.
Nope...again, its not at all a creak or whining noise. It sounds like a metal clicking noise similar to the sound a bad cv axle makes when turning. Thanks for your insight though.

jarastafari
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan

I think I have the same problem as you Douche. I hear a click, sometimes 3 of them, whenever I shift from P to D. It is usually repeatable if I shift from D to R, or vice-versa. The 3 (maybe 4) clicks seem to be coming from each wheel. BTW, I have a '03 G. Hope this is an easy fix.

douche baggins

It sounds very similar to what I'm experiencing. I'll let you know as soon as the dealer diagnosis the issue.

Cali 2 Balti G
Car: Desert Platinum G35 Coupe
Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Toyota Sequoia

Another more basic thing to consider.

You could have a nail in your tire. Sometimes the head breaks off after it is inbedded making it harder to find. Try to inspect your tires. Have a second person check your tires from behind as you creep forward.

losg35
Car: g35 coupe

I had the same issue a few weeks back I have a 04 coupe and when I went from P to D or R it would make a clicking noise. I also noticed it when I would make left turns so I took it to the dealer, At first they told me they didn’t hear nothing and then I had to get in the car to show them what I meant, then the service guy said know I hear it , so finally he added some grease to somewhere under the rear passenger side axels and the clicking went away, I also found a link that talked about it at one point so I will try to find it, since then no more clicking, hope that helps. It seems all that it needs is to be lubed back up and may also need a torque adjustment
Modified by losg35 at 3:45 PM 8/28/2007

migurus
Car: Infinity G35 coupe automatic 2005

I do have this metal-on-metal click when just starting D or R, I could not find the TSB you have mentioned - could you point it out for me, please?

james t kirk

douche baggins wrote:Just recently my 06 G35 coupe started making a loud click, clack noise at low speeds. It sounds to be coming from the rear of the vehicle, underneath. It almost sounds like there is something stuck in my wheels but I have looked all over and under and there is nothing visibly noticeable. The nearest dealer is 2 hours away so before I make the trip I wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue or might know what is causing it. Thanks.
Ok,

There are two possible problems.

1. If the sound is coming from the rear wheels, and it's a click click click sound, most noticeable when you are switching from drive to reverse - say if you are parallel parking, then the problem is the rear axles where they come out of the differential.

My 2005 G35x had this EXACT same problem.

The mechanic said it was unusual to see this in the sedan as usually, they see it in the coupe.

I believe that the problem is caused by NOT driving the car like a p@ssy. (Funny, when I bought the car new, the salesman did not instruct me that the car had to be driven like a *****.)

The problem is that the splines in the rear axles are not properly aligned with the the gear in the diff.

The solution is to pull the rear axles, apply "some very expensive grease" and realign the splines.

The PROBLEM is is that this is a design flaw and it will come back as it has in my case.

Sigh.......

2. If the problem is more like a creak creak creak and sounds like it is coming from the front wheels, the problem is the compression rods are gone and need to be replaced.

The situation is most apparent when turning from a roadway onto a sidwalk ramp where there is an increase in elevation. Doesn't make a difference left or right.

Again, another design flaw in the car and the problem is that if they replace the compression rods, they put the same substandard part back on again.

Expect to have the same problem somewhere down the road again.

Infiniti is well aware of both issues and refuses to do much about it other than service your car if it's under warrantee.

They need to redesign the parts, but this costs big bucks.

Hope this helps.

Signed, been there done that....

Oh, and it took them 6 cracks to fix my compression rods. That's right SIX!!!

CoppellStereo
Car: 2007 G35 S Sedan 6MT

is it when you go over bumps? it might be on the suspension

weekendwarrior
Car: G35 Coupe 6MT, Eibach springs, Stillen sway bars, Stillen Intake, Stillen Cat Back

I have a 06 G35 6MT with 9000mi as well and it is making a similar noise, just started this weekend, I thought it was u-joint or clutch/throwout, but climbing under it revealed nothing of the sort. It occurs at slow speeds (less the 30MPH) on deceleration and seems to go away after warm up. I don't notice any vibration or performance problem otherwise.

I'm going to schedule a visit to dealer, I'll post any diagnosis they come up with...if they do.

nuclearcarnie
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe

Took my 06 coupe in for this same issue a couple of weeks ago. They needed to add some lube to the rear end (I don't think the differential but can't remember what it was exactally). The service manager said that it was very common and believed that it was a production flaw because of how often it happens. No damage and the clicking went away.

grillo
Car: g35 coupe

had the same problem with my 2004 g35 coupe.The clicking noise was comming from the pass side. It was a sencer the dealer fixed it. they said they changed it from the out side of the car some fuel sencer or something. Also they did something to my rear axel there was a clicking noise from there too.

kimby26

I have an '04 G35 coupe. Just yesterday I too started hearing a clicking noise. Sounds like it's coming from drivers side front tire. At first I thought it was an indication that I needed a brake job, even though I had the brakes done not too long ago. But reading these comments sounds like it's something else. This morning I didn't hear it. I hate to dis Infiniti G35's but compared to my Acura Legend this car is a bit on the fussy side. Actually, to be brutally honest, it's a lot more fussy versus my Acura. I've had other issues besides the clicking. Killer looking car, handles rad, very quick, but alot of little things keep croping up.

james t kirk

kimby26 wrote:I have an '04 G35 coupe. Just yesterday I too started hearing a clicking noise. Sounds like it's coming from drivers side front tire. At first I thought it was an indication that I needed a brake job, even though I had the brakes done not too long ago. But reading these comments sounds like it's something else. This morning I didn't hear it. I hate to dis Infiniti G35's but compared to my Acura Legend this car is a bit on the fussy side. Actually, to be brutally honest, it's a lot more fussy versus my Acura. I've had other issues besides the clicking. Killer looking car, handles rad, very quick, but alot of little things keep croping up.

I agree completely.

The G35 is fantastic in its styling, its performance, its handling, but it leaves ALOT to be desired in terms of its reliability.

I bought my car brand new.

I have had reoccuring problems and very poor service from the dealer.

1. Clicking noise - it was fixed once and now it's back.

2. Compression rods, took 6 visits to the dealer to sort this out.

3. Air bag light kept coming on, again, 6 visits to the dealer (different ones than above) to fix this.

4. It's a rattle trap.

5. Driver's seat sometimes forgets to do its thing when I get in. Yet when I take it to the dealer, it doesn't do it and they look at me like I'm nuts.

6. Stereo has unusual habit of cutting out, and again, I take it in and they can't duplicate the problem.

Then there was the leaking rad cap, the manual keys that didn't work, the engine went into limp mode once when I hammered on the brakes and only reset itself after half an hour, and then there was a fuel gage that would never hit full, always a couple of mm below full - that was 2 visits.

I have better things to do with my time than fix a car all the time.

Lots of nickel and dime stuff that is pissing me off.

asankhe
Car: Infiniti G35

I totally agree with you James ..... I just bought a spanking new G35 coupe and I have already made 4 visits in three weeks to the dealership (which is 2 hr of drive).The first problem I had was the ABS brake making a loud noise (than usual) when it does its self test. I took the car in and as always the car didnt make the noise at the dealership. But the tech guy convinced me that its a usual thing and shuld be nothing to be worried about. Im not sure if others have heard the same sound too. Its when u drive the car after an extended park and when it reaches around 10-15 mph is when it makes this noise. It sounds like an old car trying to start.The second problem is the car alarm started going off this week so I had to drive back again to drop off the car.

It seems like common thing for the infinitis to be doing this. Is there something we can do together to make Infiniti answer these questions that we have?

Frustrated G35 owner

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”