cleaned throttle body,now service engine light is on.NEED HELP

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
jdkarr

Car in question is a 2004 Maxima SE.I installed a cai,when doing so I cleaned the throttle body out with some TB cleaner,it was pretty dirty.Now I am throwing code P0507.After doind some research I have determined this is due to me cleaning the TB and not the install of the cai.Scanner reads "PCM HAS DETERMINED THAT THE ENGINES RPM IS HIGHER THAN EXPECTED FOR THE CURRENT OPERATING CONDITIONS"What is the normal idle for this car and what do I do now?Will the PCM reset itself after a complete drive cycle or is there a way to manually reset it.

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

LA02MAX
Car: 2002 6-speed maxima

actually, throttle body related problems are much better solved by doing these procedures:

ECU Reset Procedure for 2K2+

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON.A stop watch or an analog clock with a second’s needle will be useful.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)5. Wait about 10 second.6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning Procedure for 2K2+

Operation Procedure1. Make sure that the accelerator pedal is fully released.2. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.4. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning Procedure for 2K2+

Operation Procedures1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.2. Turn ignition switch is “ON”.3. Turn ignition switch is “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning Procedure(Throttle Position Learning Procedure) for 2K2+

Operation Procedures1. Perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning”.2. Perform “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.4. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.5. Conform that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.10. Start engine and let it idle.11. Wait 20 seconds.12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

Mainly the ones having to deal with the TPS and the TB closed learning procedure. Since we have drive-by-wire (Nissan's name for electronic throttle) you should do these procedures after cleaning your throttle body, because even the slightest movement in the butterfly valve can screw things up. Re-learning the closed position should fix your problem

James4

My 2000 Nissan Maxima is in great condition but recently the service engine light and traction control light came on. When driving at low speeds forward or reverse the car vibrates.

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Welcome to NICO.

You should have created a new thread as the original one is probably different from the problem you are having.

You need to get a free scan from Autozone and the likes so we can have a better understanding of the problem. Make sure you get the printout of the fault codes.

Just to be on the safe side, check the alternator charging voltage is >13.8VDC (spec is 14.1-14.7 VDC). A malfunctioning alternator can give all sorts of problems.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”