Advice in cleaning the Rogue engine!!!!!

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Been researching how to clean a engine online. I never done it before, but I seen online people hosing their engines and using engine cleaners/degreasers and what not.

I'm mainly too afraid to wash my engine thinking I might harm it. ( mainly all the wires and paranoia ) :ohno: Only reason I want to is because of the residual pollen in my engine compartment from last spring.

Could anybody post a picture of the engine and mark what areas to cover (protect from water)? :confused:
Some people wash everything, but I prefer to be careful.

Last edited by casperfun on Mon May 31, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Upon careful consideration, I decided not to hose my car but use a toothbrush ( or any brush for that matter & rag ) to clean the engine. :ohno:
Last edited by casperfun on Mon May 31, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

That would be my advice too, although a clean engine compartment is a good thing, in my opinion it's not worth trying unless you are very confident that you are protecting critical electrical components. In the old days I would've just put a bag over the distributor and alternator and hose it off but with this new vehicle I'm not confident doing this and so instead I'll just leave things alone.

tikus
Car: Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

If you have a workshop portable vacuum, put the hose in the outlet where the air is blowing, so you will have blowing air to blow those dusts or dirts off your engine compartment, not that great, but it helps.

philipa_240sx

Engine Shampoos can be harmful if not done properly. A proper engine shampoo & detail takes time and preparation. Just to give you an idea of potential problems:

- Nissan never designed the electrical seals, etc to withstand submersion or pressurized water. Water can enter and corrode electrical connectors over time resulting in all sorts of engine issues.
- There are breather tubes for the CVT and transfer case and other components. Water entry here can cause dilute the lubricants and cause problems.
- Protective coatings and paints can be damaged by using excessively harsh cleaners. This will result in corrosion.
- Pressurized water may dislodge connectors hoses, etc.

Jerry98vert
Car: 08 Rogue 98 Cobra

I have cleaned my cobra mustang many times and have gone to a lot of shows the best product I have used is simple green spray all over the engine and I go to a dollar car wash and use the high power spray to hose down never had any problems with electrical, you see I don't spray the engine very long to damage anything and the look is the best thing I have ever used.

And yes I have done it to the rogue to.

Return to “Rogue Forum”