Cig lighter not working

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
cory2081
Car: '07 350Z

I've only had this car a few months. Just noticed today that my cigarette lighter isn't working. Everything else works. I also noticed that my anti-theft system fuse has been pulled. I think I know why though, the previous owner had the car painted, new hood, fenders, and bumper put on. The hood is missing the part that pushes down the switch that's is on the passenger side when you close the hood (I'm assuming that switch is for the security system) Anyway, I can't find that part in the parts view on Everything Nissan's site. Does the anti-theft fuse also power the cig lighter?? Any suggestions??

NISTECH

no you should have a fuse labled for the lighter seperately.

cory2081

Oh, well, I don't see one. Is the big fuse box under the hood the only one??

NeedCAforS13
Car: E21 320i
HJ75 Land Cruiser

on s13's there is a fuse panel on the driver side down near the pedals... that's where my lighter fuse is:)

Sean

cory2081

you have a pic of my FAVORITE car as your avatar. Man I wish I had that 550!!!!!!!!

TEK112
Car: Dragging & Drifting

I had the sam e problem with my 240sx you have to pull the cigarette lighter assembly out of the console, you can do this with your finger when the car is turned off and when you pull it out, you will see two flaps of metal on the inside of the assembly where it grabs the actual lighter, bend the two sides in as to put more pressure on the lighter, then turn the car on, not start it and try. Unfortunatly the 89 240sx I have will not work the cig lighter, unless the key is in the on, not acc. position. Hope this helpd E-Mail me and let me know [email protected] also check out my ride at http://www.cardomain.com/id/112tek

cory2081

Ummmm, the car has to be "on"??? I need to keep reminding myself that I now own an import and that everything is in wierd places and works different...lol. Well, let me go see if it works with the key on.....lmao. I feel like a dumb a$$!!! I found the other fuse box, I have looked in that spot for it and never noticed the removable lid on the kick panel. Strike 2!!! One more strike and I'll feel like I havn't been messing with cars for 15 years!! Of course, my family has only owned a couple imports....and they didn't own them for long!!

cory2081

Still doesn't freakin work!!! The fuse is ok and everything. Looks like I gotta check the wiring now. Is the ring around the lighter supposed to light up too?? It isn't working either if it is.

masticatingcow
Car: 94 Mazda FD3S

The fuse for the S13's cig lighter is the fourth fuse down on the left column of fuses. (In the box to the left of the pedals.) It should be a blue 15 fuse. Anyway, just while we're on the topic, here's something you SHOULDN'T do, at least on 240sx's.

I had the same problem: cig lighter not working. So I popped the console and had a look around. I noticed that the guy who had the car before me had ghetto wired the cig to a mystery component. I say "mystery" because it was removed before I bought the car.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I ended up with an arc and subsequentially lost my tail lights, side markers, and dash. Curiously, my dome light, stereo and clock still functioned fine. It cost me a lot more than it was worth to have a shop rip the car up and find that my dimmer was blown and that the light selector (on the turn signal switch) needed to be replaced.

Yeah, not one of my proudest moments. :D

Moral of the story: CHECK THE FUSE BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE! LOL... if I had done that, I could've saved a bundle of money.

cory2081

I checked that fuse, it's perfect. If I remember correctly (and I think that I do) the previous owner had a radar detector in the car when I test drove it. I cant remember if it was plugged into the cig lighter or not. I just installed a new CD player, I didn't see anything wrong with the wires to the lighter when I did that a few weeks ago. I'll just have to get out the old trusty volt meter I guess......

masticatingcow
Car: 94 Mazda FD3S

cory2081,

Yeah, that sounds about right. I'm sure that in your years of experience, you already have encountered electrical arc. I just want to reiterate what a pain the bum it was to diagnose and rectify the damage done to my electrical system when I got careless. I mean, it's a simple mistake, you know, the kind you make after you've been under the hood for a while. LOL. Anyway, I just would hate to see a fellow 240sx pilot go through the same embarassment and hassle! Good luck with that lighter, and if you get it working, let me know!

masticatingcow

cory2081

Thanks man. Yeah, it's nothing I havn't done before.....did it PLENTY of times with my GN. That car broke a motor mount and actually tore some of the harness to the ignition module. That was a pain to trace down, just had to go pin by pin til I found one that wasnt getting power. Well, that was just one short, there were others!! I'll take a look at it tomorrow if I get some time. I'll be sure to post what I find!!

bbovee

Looking for info on my own car's problems, I spotted yours. Mine wouldn't work either and the whole unit would pull out all at once. I replaced it with genuine parts (over-priced) and it still didn't stay in position properly but, at least, it worked.Of recent, it died on me again. Don't know what I'll do about it this time. I've heard it's been a frequent problem with the 240's.I know it's not the fuse and never was.Did you ever find resolve with yours?[email protected]

cory2081

I honestly have not had the time to fix it. I know it is a very common problem on Nissans. I may ask a friend of mine that works at the local Nissan dealer since I need to go order a part anyway.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”