Chip install IAT wires where the heck are they?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
justlikemoe
Car: Maxima SE 2003

I just got a Maxima 2003 SE, installed an Injen cold air intake, E-Ram electric supercharger. Grill top and bottom visors windows and roof. Now I would think this would have been easy But. Not quite.

I purchased one of those performance chips, actually 2 of them a cheap one just a resistor an programmed e-prom. Now the instructions say Install the 2 wires out of the chip with the 2 wire IAT sensor wires. Then leave disconnected so the chip will now do its job.

No problem, well cant find the IAT sensor wires? I think its with the MAF sensor connector . The chiltons is useless. The connector on the MAF has 5 wires. Does any one have any idea? How to install this darn thing.

which color wires do I use?

I tried taking the sensore out of the MAF. found the resistor. used a meterto check the connectors that go to the resistor. Installed the chip the car ran codes like crazy. all MAF IAT etc.cleard them up with my scanner.

Hooked up the wires to original and just had to sit down in fustration.

Any help to this newbey would be very appreciated before I go american V-8 Thanks Justlikemoe

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

The MAF is not the place. The IAT sensor is on the intake before the air gets to the MAF. I'll open up the FSM and post pics in a minute.

justlikemoe

Thanks I will stay up all night But I will get this done today. Considering I have to get up at 3am...Thanks for the quick response Justlikemoe.

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Okay, there are no pics in the FSM. The IAT is in between the filter, and the MAF. There are only 2 wires in the IAT.Not trying to burst your bubble, but chips are not really worth while in our cars. They can cause throwing of codes, and more likely than not run you lean, since it will b telling your car that the air is hotter than what it really is, so the ECU will output less fuel, and you will receive an extra horse or two, but then will be running hotter, and potentially having other problems, such as spark knock, which will cause the timing to be retarded, and lose the extra power that you gained by chipping the car, but you will still be running hot. Good luck, if you have anyother questions, feel free to ask, and let us know how it works out for you!

justlikemoe

I will take your advice, no chip makes sense to me. I will just add an exhaust probably next year and I'm done, So I think, Thanks again Justlikemoe

Logan76
Car: Junk

An electric supercharger is doing you no good either, take that beast off before someone actually notices it chillin' under your hood.

Garcilaso
Car: 2006 Nissan Pathfinder

I have a 2006 Pathfinder and want to also install a performance chip module on my IAT which as I understand is part of the MAF. It has 5 wires, 2 black, one brown, one teal and one pink. Which of then are the power and which is the IAT?

How can I find out the color for each?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I'm not very familiar with how things are on the VQ40.The pathfinder guys should be able to help you out, though.

Garcilaso

Thank you, I am new t the website and posted my question a bit fast. Hopefully pathfinder guys like you said will be able to answer.

blueis300
Car: 2007 nissan maxima 3.5 se

oN MY 2007 Maxima rthe iat is actually part of the maf. Its just a little rectangular part that fits in the hose or what ever and measusre air flow and temp. All the resister does is trick the iat that ist colder outside and is supposed to adjust to a different fuel curve map in the ecu. According to some poeple the ecu just uses it as a reading and no adjustments are made anymore so it truely is a waste.

Garcilaso

Thanks so much for your reply. Mine is also the same MAF/IAT and the one plug has five wires 2 black one pink one teal and one brown. I just wanted to know which color is the IAT wire and which color is the power (I am told is commonly black).

blueis300

Ive got the whole .pdff file for the entire 2007 maxima, it give color of wires for the maf but just says the iat is included,what specs an basic diagnostic. No wire colors associated for the iat that i can find so far.I would send it to you but its 49mb and would take forever.

Garcilaso

I appreciate what you are doing. Did you say that it gives the colors for the MAF? If it does, what colors are for the MAF? Since the plug is flat it might help to know from right to left or videversa.

Thanks again.

blueis300

IT seems than you have to use a consult for diagnostic ,also it want you to use certain grounds but from the main harness so far. Not grounding properly and checking for the certain voltage can screw the maf.

blueis300

kinda hard to explain on the maf side in the diagram it shows A resistor with 5 on one side 6 on the other5 is labled v/o and goes to 34 on the ecu,the 6 is marked b and goes to 67 on the ecm.Also the maf is lable f31 and the ecm is labled f54.

blueis300

It also says data reference value is based on ecm terminal 34 and ground.

blueis300

ok last post the 5 wires on the maf are as follows

termianl 51 color g/0 mafterminal61 color b sensor groundterminal 111 color w/b ecm realyterminal119 color r/gterminal 120 color r/g both power for ecm

dont know what else to tell you, i just probably wouldnt even mess with it. Your better of getting a vafc,safc,neo,utec,aem just came out with something but this resister is not worth the hassel and probably wont do crap.

blueis300

check resistance between terminal 5 and 6 ,if certain resistance it is functioning. Man I give up.

Garcilaso

Thank so very much

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

I would get a fuel management unit if you really want true improvement. The IAT and MAF sensors work by reacting to the air temperature by changing the resistance.

The "chip" bypasses the IAT and constantly sends a signal to the ecu that there is optimal air temperature and adjusts the fuel ratio accordingly. If my assessment is correct, you end up getting worse gas mileage by running rich all the time (unless the temp really is optimum-around 76 degrees).

magnificus
Car: Nissan Maxima 2003 SE

Hi,Can you post post some pictures for the Locatio of the IAT Sensor for a Nissan Maxima 2003 SE again and tell me where to look for the FSM? Thanks!

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”