Checking Ignition Timing - 1990-1996 Q45

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
off2sobe
Car: '94Q TCS, original tranny @ 230,000 miles

What's up with q45.org? Couldn't get to http://www.q45.org/checktiming.html.

Does anyone have the pics from Wes' writeup about "Method B" (using the infamous accessible wire)?

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Hey man... Q45.org is down, and Jesda is overseas so we cant have him check it.... sorry

The wire your looking for is on the drivers or passenger side, but i use theone on the drivres side..its a small wire, it looks brown with a black shield on it... If you take a picture of that area i can circle which one it is.....

Its the only one around there thats accessible to a timing light clamp and also the only one without loose shielding.....

off2sobe

The CPS bolts are TIGHT...any suggestions on tools/techniques to get to these?

Raxephon
Car: '04 RX8...for the moment...

Is this the one?
Modified by anlasak at 10:17 AM 7/25/2006

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

anlasak wrote:Is this the one?

Modified by anlasak at 10:17 AM 7/25/2006
yep thats the one, how in the hell did you find that picture (obviously my Q with the non painted valve covers and such)... except ive had better results using the one on the drivers side, but its in the same place an looks identical.

Raxephon
Car: '04 RX8...for the moment...

Here's a pic of the driver-side, just for reference.
elwesso wrote:.... how in the hell did you find that picture (obviously my Q with the non painted valve covers and such)...
Its in my archive with a couple hundred other Q45 pics, you know, just in case a website goes down, the internet crashes, etc..., etc...

Wes, do you have a link to the "NISSAN FAST " file "US2"? (The one that covers G50 series in the USA)

I have "US1", "EL", and "GL" but somewhere in the shuffle over to the new hard-drive I lost "US2".

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

yeah ive got em.. fire me an IM later tonite (ill be gone most the day) and ill send em to you.

off2sobe

Well, this all started because I wanted to verify the timing because it sounds like the engine is knocking under light load (and I just replaced my knock sensors a few months ago...don't want to do that again soon!). I just wanted to confirm that the timing is correct.

OK...I got the timing light to work. However....here's what I found.

Using the wire identified above (brown with black) it appears I'm getting a flash for every cylinder making it a guessing game what the true timing is. (It appears to be about 5 degrees BTDC).

So...looking at the FSM diagram it shows a wire that appears to be spliced to the wire shown above, but with a separate connector. The FSM states, "This connector is installed at the lower end of the left bank power transistor on some models, and the right bank power transistor on other models." (Mine is a 94 with TC). I hooked on to another wire on the left bank (pass side) that has a very steady light that is right at 15 degrees BTDC, which appears correct.

I'm not sure how to add pics here...I've uploaded to Member's Rides/off2sobe. I've shown the wire I believe is correct (on pass side).

http://nissaninfiniticlub.net/...age/1

Can anyone provide a definitive answer? Still scratchin' my head.
Modified by off2sobe at 9:25 PM 7/25/2006

off2sobe

Trying to add the pic...

off2sobe

FSM:

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I resized your picture from the FSM... Thanks for posting it...

I also redid the first picture you took and added a comment.....

off2sobe

OK...here's a pic of my driver's side bank. My Q has TCS...this pic is taken looking almost straight down over the fender.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

yep thats the one......

trw2k
Car: 1991 Q45 211,000 + miles

I can't add any tech help but I can add some searching help. Here is the webpage from Q45.org you were looking for :

http://web.archive.org/web/200....html

The way back machine archives websites and Q45 was archived in 2005 preserving a lot if not all of the info from that year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Checking Ignition Timing - 1990-1996 Q45

No guarantees are made on the results, and anything you do yourself is at your own risk.

Checking Ignition TimingBy Wes Stinson

There are 3 methods of checking the ignition timing, according to the service manual

Method A is rigging up a spark plug wire to the end of the coil, and then clamping the timing light on there like you would on an older engine? This is usually what DIYers have to do since they don?t have the special tool (in method C) to do it easily.

Method B talks about a special wire you can clamp and check timing. This has sort of been in infamy, as everyone thought it either didn?t exist or it didn?t work. I am going to expand on this method as it?s the easiest of them all

Method C requires a special tool (called SST) that you plug in to the ignitor packs and it basically makes a fake coil and plug and you clamp on the timing light there.

Method B is by far the easiest.. No one really knew much about it, but I figured it would be easier for me to try and start clamping wires than it would be to dig in there and use method A.

<image> refer to 2

This is the passenger side. There is an identical wire on the drivers side but I don?t think it matters either way. I used the one on the drivers side, but I forgot attach mine in the stock location, so right now it dangles.

It does not matter which way you clamp the wire.

The timing indicator is shown below, and timing should be 15* BTDC

<image> refer to 2

To Adjust the Timing:

<image> refer to 3

You want to loosen (not remove) the mounting bolts to the CAS. There is one in the top left hand corner and other one on the bottom right. The bottom right one is kind of hard to see and you have to rest the wrench on the radiator hose in order to find it. Then just rotate and be VERY careful as just a tiny movement will throw off the timing.. Its best to set the CAS where you want it, tighten the top bolt, recheck the timing, and then make final adjustments, then tighten down the remaining one. Recheck it after you drive it for a little while.

off2sobe

My car is one that the correct timing wire is on the pass side bank. Maybe it's the TCS that makes it different, but my timing is dead on using the wires shown here---(actually either of the ones circled).

It's 25 *BTDC using the drivers side wire.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”