Cheap Sway Bar Link Upgrade

Articles, modifications, maintenance, DIY's, how-to's and general information for 240sx owners.
SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Our cars are old, so are the stock rubber bushings. Chances are your stock swaybar endlinks bushings are dried, cracked and rotting. Here's a cheap solution! AND.... you can get all the parts from your local Autozone for under $30! I learned about this from my good friends at AZ240sx years ago but their archive has kind of gone to the wayside, so I figured it's time for a refresher.

Skill Level 3 of 5

Time Required 2-2 1/2 hours

Tools and Supplies

-12mm box end wrench-14mm box end wrench-ratchet -12mm socket (I used a 12mm ratcheting wrench)-14mm socket -Polyurethane bushings and new, beefy endlinks for the rear:

For the front - Energy Suspension bushing kit, part # 9.8105R ~$12For the rear - Energy Suspension replacement endlink kit # 9.8120R ~$16

THE REAR

What you'll need

-12mm box end wrench-14mm box end wrench-ratchet -12mm socket (I used a 12mm ratcheting wrench)-14mm socket

The stock rear endlink.

Remove the 12mm nut on the top and bottom of the endlink. The middle of the endlink is a 12mm to keep the endlink from rotating, this is what the 12mm box end wrench is for, you can also use visegrips. Once the nuts are off, remove the cups and rubber bushings, after both sides are this far, you can spin the swaybar up and remove the old endlinks. Discard them!

The old endlink vs. the new hotness.

Now put one of the new bushings in the bushing seat on top of the LCA, put one of the new, included, cupped washers on top of the bushing and slide the endlink bolt through them. Do that for both sides.

Now you can assemble the rest of the endlinks that go in between the LCA and swaybar in this order: LCA > bushing > cupped washer > included hollow spacer > cupped washer > bushing > swaybar. Now comes the fun part, after you assembled that for both sides, it's time to finish up. The new bushings are larger than the old compressed bushings so you'll need some assistance. Put the floor jack under the sway bar and compress the bushing enough to get the bottom bushing, cupped washer and included locking nut on. Both the locking nut and bolt are 14mm, and air tools make this a breeze. Tighten the nut, go to the other side and repeat the process.

THE FRONT

What you'll need:

-12mm box end wrench-14mm socket-ratchet

Use the 12mm to keep the endlink from turning and zip off the 14mm nut on the bottom, be careful, your reusing this nut. Do that to both sides and remove the old bushings and cups.

Old vs. new bushing

Slide the new cupped washer over the end. If you have some rust buildup, use some sandpaper and sand it off. Slide on the new bushing and put the endlinks back in the lower control arm.

Now comes the fun part. Due to the size of the new bushings you've got to compress the top bushing to get the bottom bushing, cupped washer and nut on. I put the floor jack under the LCA and raised it a bit. My 24" prybar wasn't enough leverage to compress the top of the swaybar, but my 4' jack handle was. Stick the handle under the frame and push down on the swaybar. Zip the bottom bushing, cupped washer and nut on, then repeat for the other side. Your done!

Now put away your tools, wash up, and take it for a spin. If your swaybar mount bushings are stock, I recommend replacing them too. Since I have a base model, I added an OE rear sway bar a few years ago with new bushings and brackets.

ALSO, ALWAYS USE JACK STANDS WHEN WORKING UNDER A CAR.

Originally written by Dano

Return to “240sx Articles”