CHATROOM: TINTED TAIL LIGHTS

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

WE GOT A COUPLE GREAT LOOKING CARS WITH TINTED TAILLIGHTS. LETS SEE THEM.
describe how/what/etc for others to learn and get idea's (im one of them who is thinking of this mod)

JMed
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD (Pearl White)
2015 Nissan Rogue SV (Black)

I will just post a couple of the ones I posted before...

From the other thread:
ImStricken wrote:
JMed wrote:ImStricken, do you have any recommendations for the vinyl that I should get? We need to keep in mind that Winter is around the corner, and I need something that can take on the weather (basically rain and snow).

Edited: I did some research and if I do this, I might go with "HEXIS Cast Multilayer Vinyl Gloss Black". I love some features about this product: Superior resistance to UV rays, chemicals (such as alcohol, diluted acids, oils and hydrocarbons), and other environmental factors.

I just need to figure out how much vinyl I will need...
i have used Rvinyl.com for many projects, and every time its great stuff. from tinting my windows using their film, to the carbon fiber, etc = EASY TO USE GREAT STUFF.
After I have gotten the spoiler, I will try to tackle the wrapping of the roof and spoiler myself. The tricky part will be around the antenna.

Black B15

I had tinted tails on my Sentra. Looked awesome. I hadn't been pulled over for almost a decade and one morning I got pulled over twice in 15 minutes by highway patrol officers. They said they need to be able to see amber I the tails. I asked them if the saw my turn signal and yes they could see it. Got a fix it ticket an went to ace hardware and bought some paint remover.

Point is they looked awesome, especially on a blacked out ride. But apparently some cops don't like em.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

ya some cops will be sticklers.
if i do this mod, i intend on an extremely light coat, only to not appear like i am "hooking up" a car. i just like the elegant look that Jmed has now.

Black B15

I agree, I love the way it looks and it would look good on my black rogue. I am so leary of doing it again though. I had them fairly black but I had hyper-red led's for the tail lights and they were extremely bright.

I am really contemplating blacking out all the chrome and then doing a light black over the head and tail lights.

JMed

Black B15 wrote:I agree, I love the way it looks and it would look good on my black rogue. I am so leary of doing it again though. I had them fairly black but I had hyper-red led's for the tail lights and they were extremely bright.
I was planning on adding some really bright red LED lights, but those are kinda expensive. And the costs keeps adding when you want to do all the lights on the back.

Kojack021
Car: NIssan Rogue S Special Edition

I also want to tint my tail lights. I think Im going to do it on the lighter side also. Kind of a stock look.

2SSick
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
**2010 Camaro 2SS** SOLD! :*(
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4

OK...I just painted my tails with VHT Night shades and everything was going smoothly until i put on my 3rd coat. the first 2 coats came out awesome but the 3rd one went all cloudy/hazy on me. i think it was the humidity but i dont understand why the first 2 went so well... i waited a good amount of time between coats so the first 2 had plenty of time to haze up if they were gonna. Does any1 have an idea of what could have went wrong? Did i put the 3rd coat on too thick? Did i not shake the can enough?

I already stripped the VHT with gasoline and i'm about to start over but i dont want to make the same mistake again!

Here are some pics...

This is me wet sanding down the lights with 2000grit

Me taping off the side plastic and my reverse lights

First coat

Second coat

Third coat

Then about 15-20 mins after the third coat they began to dry all cloudy/hazy and this was my end result

I really liked the way they looked after the second coat and something told me to go ahead and just do the clear coat but i wanted the reverse lights to have a slight smoke color tint but still bright in reverse so I peeled the tape of the reverse lights for the final coat and I wish i never did... :cry:

ROGUEPLANET
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue se

I would be curious if it were possible to buff out the haze? I have a can of this, and i might play around with it.
Not sure if i will do mine, I really dont need a reason for the cops to pull me over, but i do have a extra pair of versa tail lights in my attic.

A buddy of mine did his, and they did not sand down the tail lights before he applied the niteshades.

Which i was surprised.

And they turned out good.

JMed

ROGUEPLANET wrote:Not sure if i will do mine, I really dont need a reason for the cops to pull me over.
If you don't go too dark and make them look like stock there is no reason to get pull over.

2SSick, I really like how they were looking after the second coat, but I guess you were going for something darker.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

the haze will go away. just take a hair drier to it.

2SSick

Well I already stripped the vht with gasoline yesterday so im going to start from scratch. But yea i liked it after the second coat too. I dont want them completely black because i feel the dark maroonish color will go better with the black then straight up back, more of a classy look so to say. The reason i went for another coat is because i wanted the reverse lights to have a slight tint too.

About the hair dryer, i think your right because a guy on my camaro forum said the same thing happened to him when he did his on a humid night and he put them under a heat lamp and the haze went away. I wish i knew this the other day lol. but i kinda feel this happened for a reason because i went too dark and i too dont need to be pulled over left in right. i already got the tints to worry about and statistics show that staten island cops right more tickets for tints then the other 4 boros combined!

Tomorrow its gonna be 88 and sunny with no/low humidity so it will be round 2! I'll post more pics tomorrow or maybe friday when i put them back on the truck after the clearcoat had a day to cure.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

2SSick wrote:Well I already stripped the vht with gasoline yesterday so im going to start from scratch. But yea i liked it after the second coat too. I dont want them completely black because i feel the dark maroonish color will go better with the black then straight up back, more of a classy look so to say. The reason i went for another coat is because i wanted the reverse lights to have a slight tint too.

About the hair dryer, i think your right because a guy on my camaro forum said the same thing happened to him when he did his on a humid night and he put them under a heat lamp and the haze went away. I wish i knew this the other day lol. but i kinda feel this happened for a reason because i went too dark and i too dont need to be pulled over left in right. i already got the tints to worry about and statistics show that staten island cops right more tickets for tints then the other 4 boros combined!

Tomorrow its gonna be 88 and sunny with no/low humidity so it will be round 2! I'll post more pics tomorrow or maybe friday when i put them back on the truck after the clearcoat had a day to cure.
staten island!? i dated a girl a few years back in staten island. hylan blvd & norway ave.
im always in brooklyn, generally in williamsburg - enjoying the lunatics, oops i mean hipsters. LOL

back on topic:
i had the same thing happen to me mid winter, when i was painting my bike's race fairings. first minute was AMAZING, then turned hazy. i took a heat gun to them, and BAM! like it never happened. or just let them sit in the direct sunlight.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

did you sand them down with anything?

2SSick

Yea as i was finishin the 3rd coat the sun had just went down. It wasnt dark but the sun wasnt out anymore so there wasnt any light shining on them. And yes i wet sanded them down with 2000 grit with some dish soap. After the vht i have krylon crystal clear to clear coat them with and some 3000 grit to smooth them out before i put on some rubbing compound and meguaires plastic X polish. Then once they are on the car I'm going to wax the whole car with thr Zaino polish kit i bought for my camaro. On paper this was supposed to come out amazing the first time!

And yea Staten Island... I work for sanitation in brookyn on shore parkway in bensonhurst. I always wanted to hit up williamsburg one nightand see what all the hypes about. I'm no where near hipster material but ill party with them... The girls atleast haha. Where in jersey you from?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Oh, I see. (That's not your video on youtube doing the dodge ram tail lights, is it?)

I'm certainly NO hipster, hence why I love that place. Bunch of clowns all around. If you go, visit SEA thai resteraunt, order the pad thai. And order the mojito. Amazing!

Or go for itialian and visit aqcua santa. The best italian food ever best pizza. The place has grapes growing over your head!

I'm from monmouth county, right on the shore

2SSick

Nah my dodge ram video on youtube is me asking why my truck is pinging LoL... I did a bunch of work to it and it is now stalling at idle and pinging under acceleration. But thats a whole another story... I'm about to replace the throttle body on it because the current one has a crack in it and hopefully that fixes the problem so i can sell it. Don't need it now that i have the rogue. Which brings to me to my next question... Hows the rogue in the snow? I heard its good but its pretty low to the ground.

Kojack021

Is it better to do nightshades or maybe use a tint instead?

JMed

2SSick wrote:Hows the rogue in the snow? I heard its good but its pretty low to the ground.
You can read some of our Real world AWD experiences

2SSick

JMed wrote:
2SSick wrote:Hows the rogue in the snow? I heard its good but its pretty low to the ground.
You can read some of our Real world AWD experiences
Nice thx... looks like ill have no problems getting to work this year. Last year we barely got any snow and the one minor snow storm we had i did a 360 on the highway in my camaro...

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i gotta say i didnt get to really blast it in a lot of snow last winter, but from what we got (2-3inches) it was flawless. i tried to bury myself in the snow by flooring it, and it always just moved forward like a tank.

2SSick

Kojack021 wrote:Is it better to do nightshades or maybe use a tint instead?
well the vht will look better in my opinion....if done right it will have a glassy look that tints cant achieve... but tints are easier and look fine...when i went for my window tints i was gonna have them done but the guy told me it wouldnt look right because if the indent edges on the rogue tails...he said he would do it but was just letting me know a lil red would show and when the heat shrunk the tint 1/16 of an inch it would show more red so he didnt want me to come back and complain if he did it. He told me id be better off having them painted and he called a guy for me to get a quote and the guy told him $275 so i said F that and decided to do it myself.
ImStricken wrote:i gotta say i didnt get to really blast it in a lot of snow last winter, but from what we got (2-3inches) it was flawless. i tried to bury myself in the snow by flooring it, and it always just moved forward like a tank.
sweet! I'm not expecting the car to go anywhere in the snow we had 2 years ago... s***, my dodge ram was stuck in the middle of the street on my corner for 3 days...Dam sanitation lol

as for an update about me tinting my tails...i woke up late this morning and didnt want to rush it...that and the sun isnt out so i just cleaned them and re wet sanded them and taped off the reverse lights again... hopefully tomorrow its nicer out.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i agree, that the indents wouldnt work well with the film. the film would need to be cut, and from certain angles the red would show.

im really interested in doing this mod

2SSick

by the weekend ill have it done for sure and post pics...i have to wait a month for my rims!

heres my truck...
and i ordered these rims

its gonna look nice with the chrome lip contrasting with the chrome trim and next im ordering the chrome/stainless bull bar

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i love the tinted windows. it makes a HUGE difference.

what are your plans with your stock rims?

2SSick

I agree the tints do make a big difference and I'm going to hold on to the rims because its a lease

Kojack021

2SSick wrote:by the weekend ill have it done for sure and post pics...i have to wait a month for my rims!

heres my truck...
and i ordered these rims

its gonna look nice with the chrome lip contrasting with the chrome trim and next im ordering the chrome/stainless bull bar
Need Need Need to see the finish product. Dont forget to post later. :yesnod

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

2SSick wrote:by the weekend ill have it done for sure and post pics...i have to wait a month for my rims!

heres my truck...
and i ordered these rims

Damn I like those rims. I completely agree the chrome lip contrast will look great! Post those pics when done.
btw where did you order those rims from?

2SSick

[/quote]Damn I like those rims. I completely agree the chrome lip contrast will look great! Post those pics when done.
btw where did you order those rims from?[/quote]

They are MSR 085's and i found them cheapest on summit racing...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEW-0 ... /?rtype=10

2SSick

ok so its nice out and i started round 2...

this is one coat
and heres the second

ill post more as i go along...im waiting on the 2nd coat to dry right now

Return to “Rogue Forum”