Changing transmission oil and filter

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
maxvq
Car: 1997 Nissan Maxima GXE

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone has a step by step procedure of how to properly change the transmission oil on a 1997 Nissan Maxima? I can't seem to locate the oil filter or the drain plug and I'm hoping someone cal help me

Thanks!

hsckris
Car: 07 V8 4runner

maxvq wrote:Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone has a step by step procedure of how to properly change the transmission oil on a 1997 Nissan Maxima? I can't seem to locate the oil filter or the drain plug and I'm hoping someone cal help me

Thanks!
With most transmissions you must drop the pan to change the fluid. Often there is a filter located inside there. There is no filter like you would find for engine oil, at least not that I have ever seen. Most transmissions do not have a drain plug.

You can find a service manual here: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/That should have the exact stuff for your maxima trans and how to do it.

MCovington
Car: 1995 Q45

There should be a plug located on the bottom of the trans pan. This will only drain about 3 to 4 QTS of fluid. Check your book on how much it holds. The trans filter is a metal screen and is a bugger to get out and clean. You can have a flush done at a dealer that uses genuine Nissan fluid or other shops do it too for about 125.00. I would have it flushed so you can get all the fluid changed. Or another method is do 3 drains. Drain and drive drain and drive ect. How many miles on the old fluid. I had a Nissan Stanza that went 225K miles before the trans went with no changes in the fluid. I was young and didn't know how to change the fluid at that time.

maxvq
Car: 1997 Nissan Maxima GXE

MCovington wrote:There should be a plug located on the bottom of the trans pan. This will only drain about 3 to 4 QTS of fluid. Check your book on how much it holds. The trans filter is a metal screen and is a bugger to get out and clean. You can have a flush done at a dealer that uses genuine Nissan fluid or other shops do it too for about 125.00. I would have it flushed so you can get all the fluid changed. Or another method is do 3 drains. Drain and drive drain and drive ect. How many miles on the old fluid. I had a Nissan Stanza that went 225K miles before the trans went with no changes in the fluid. I was young and didn't know how to change the fluid at that time.
I bought this Maxima used at a dealership and I am unsure as to whether the dealership changed the transmission oil or not. Currently there are 74,000km's on the car, I'm not really sure if it is necessary to change the tranny oil yet...but I've noticed that there is a jerk when it switches from 1st to 2nd gear (it's an automatic tranny). Could this mean that the transmission fluid is not lubricating we well as it should? Or is it just a normal thing?

MCovington
Car: 1995 Q45

If you don't have any records for the car. Here is what I do when I buy used. Chaeng all fluids,motor oil, trans, coolant, brake fluid, plugs. check brake pads. This is simple stuff just hit the search button up top and insert what you want to find out.

hsckris
Car: 07 V8 4runner

MCovington wrote:If you don't have any records for the car. Here is what I do when I buy used. Chaeng all fluids,motor oil, trans, coolant, brake fluid, plugs. check brake pads. This is simple stuff just hit the search button up top and insert what you want to find out.
I do the same thing. I would also change the fuel filter & pcv valve, and make sure the ignition components & battery are in good working order. I'd probably also seafoam or clean the intake/upper engine in whatever method you prefer (bg44k, whatever...)

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Sorry, I keep meaning to post up info on how to change the filter but I've been really busy.

Read through the FSM here for manual or here for automatic and you should find what you need.

Mike G
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30

When I bought my car last year, I went to the local Infinity dealer and asked the service manager to pull a repair history on the car (by VIN). Of course this only shows dealer serviced items, but it's better than not trying...--Mike

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”