Changing the blower motor

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
spedman
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx se

I just took off my glove boxe + housing. I found all the screws, but I realize theres still one more way up. So do you have to take off the dash to get to it? is there any easy ways to install?

Anyone have any guides?

nukeone

Actually, it is very easy but I would begin by putting any screws you pulled out of the housing back in to secure it in place. Once the housing is secure, disconnect the blower power connector plug and the small air tube. Pull the 3 black screws on the bottom of the blower housing and wiggle the blower and motor out of the housing. I say wiggle because it is a tight fit adjacent to the right front corner of the lower dash connection, but there is enough flex that you can bend the corner of the dash and drop the blower and motor. Relatively simple and usually takes me about 10 minutes to pull out. DON'T pull the entire blower housing; just pull the lower cover, which houses the motor and attached fan/blower.

spedman

I had already put everythign back in place.. al lthe screws and such. BUt i looked at the blower motor I have to replace the current one and theres a tab on the top which would be located about in the middle of the passanger side dash. So you're saying there actually isn't a screw holding that tab in place?

nukeone

For the blower/fan and motor, there are only the 3 screws on the bottom of the housing. One of those screws has a bendable wiring holder (metal with plastic coating to hold the wiring in place). Once you disconnect the wiring connector and slide off the 1" or so air hose, you can pull the motor and blower unit. Just curious, what is wrong with your motor? I have pulled many of these and haven't actually had a bad motor. It has always been the resistor pack or climate control fan switch or a bad relay. The blower gets power from one relay and the switch gets power from a second relay... have you checked both of those, in addition to the resistors? I am assuming this is an S13 chassis; the S14 is even easier to get to and easier to swap the motor/blower unit.

spedman

It's loud... Really loud.. IT still blows air.. but it's warm..not real hot.. ac works fine. All the screws are tight so its not the housing making the noise.

I bought this one off a guy on these forums..it seems to be the complete housing..and from the looks of it your not advising to change the whole thing out.

The blue circles indicate the screws you are talking about. The yellow indicates the tab I'm talking about.

From what you're saying it appears that the bottom part is removable from the rest of the housing right?

spedman

bump :P

nukeone

With the pic, I see why you are having a tough time understanding my directions. The blower motor is on the far right, under the dash, just above the ECU. It is on the bottom of the fan housing, which is NOT what you are showing above. The fan motor, shown below, is easily separable from the housing by removing three screws, as can be seen in the photo.

spedman

kk, that makes more sense

Vidra

is that a cabin air filter I c??? I hear you should replace those like every 50k miles... but when I google searched for a cabin air filter in the 240sx (S13) I was unable to locate any filters? Do our cars (s13) even have cabin air filters???

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”