Changing Cabin Air Filter

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
yellowbear
Car: EX35

Is there any way to change the cabin air filter to save the expense of having the dealer do it? I could change it on my Lexus.Yellowbear

cjre1
Car: Infiniti EX35 Journey

yellowbear wrote:Is there any way to change the cabin air filter to save the expense of having the dealer do it? I could change it on my Lexus.Yellowbear
Yes you can. It is behind the glove box.

Download the service manual on how to do this. I believe that you have to take out the glove box and it is there behind it, with a cover over it. My Honda, Lexus, and BMW are the same.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

A while back I wrote an article outlining what is required to replace your microfilter. Following the direction for the G you should get a good idea of exactly what is needed.

zer...ement

yellowbear

Steve - read the shop manual and it only says to remove the glove box door and subsequent lower RH dash panel. Does not include the kick panel and other trim panels. Is this a recommendation? On my Lexus the rear portion of the glove box had a door that led to the filter. EX is definitely more work.

Seems to me that removing more than the glovebox is not a good thing considering sharp edges, plastic panels and posential damage. My filter needed changing at 12K miles in the Lexus.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

In all honesty they change the glove box layout every model year just enough to drive us crazy. Some models have a small access door while others do not. To the best of my knowledge the EX35 does not have an access door in the black finisher although there is one on the white AC box.

You bring up a very good point. Almost all dash trim pieces seem to be sharpened to a razor edge. Caution is needed especially if you have a light colored interior blood is very hard to get out of wheat colored floor mats.

cjre1
Car: Infiniti EX35 Journey

I would lay down a sheet of plastic, just in case you cut yourself. Blood is not easy to remove.

EX35_bernard
Car: White on Graphite Tech AWD EX35

Anybody know the part number for this? Or the charcoal one?

NJ_EX35
Car: Infiniti EX35 Journey w/Navi

If you unfortunately get blood on your interior take a piece of ice and rub it on the blood, will take it right out or just use plastic and avoid a mess.

Those years of bloody noses in Catholic school did a number on my shirts and I use to always clean up with ice.

jmess

I buy boxes of doctor exam gloves from Costco for dirty work. They won't stop the big cuts but they do help cut down on some of the lighter ones and scrapes. When/if the gloves get cut/torn I swap them for a new pair.

I have the cabin air filter swap on my list of things to-do for this week. With my 04 Honda van you had to remove the glove box door and cut some plastic straps to get to the filter slot the first time. The straps were there to speed up the dash install at the factory and served no purpose from that point on. So of course the plastic was hard to cut and there were lots of opportunities to cut other things or yourself.

JCL622

jmess wrote:I buy boxes of doctor exam gloves from Costco for dirty work. They won't stop the big cuts but they do help cut down on some of the lighter ones and scrapes. When/if the gloves get cut/torn I swap them for a new pair.

I have the cabin air filter swap on my list of things to-do for this week. With my 04 Honda van you had to remove the glove box door and cut some plastic straps to get to the filter slot the first time. The straps were there to speed up the dash install at the factory and served no purpose from that point on. So of course the plastic was hard to cut and there were lots of opportunities to cut other things or yourself.
i've been using these ever since i was doing research at a bio lab in Highschool,

invest in Nitrile gloves (it's kind of like the latex glvoes doctors use), but it's a bit tougher. I know most dental practices use them.

it's like 8 bucks for a pack of 50 at CVS,

mandelbloom
Car: Infinti EX35

Anyone have a link for the grapeseed filter?

txgcoupe
Car: 2007 G35 Coupe/ 2010 EX35

As far as I can tell that filter is only available with the Advanced Climate Control System on the FX50.

John

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

The grapeseed filter is just a new version of the same old mirco filter. Cost wise it's very similar in most cases to the standard white filter. The number is around here somewhere but if you are inquiring at a dealer just get the one for an 09 FX50.

Advanced Climate control is the system that uses this filter as part of it's features. In addition to the Grapeseed filter the ACCS system uses a negative ion generator on the earliest models and add a frontal emission gas sensor to quietly close the intake door to keep out NOx and CO.

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

In Canada, where are people finding the best price on a Cabin Filter ?

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

999M1-VP051
Is the number for the new microfilter.

Here is an article from a buddy of mine.
new-micro-filter-choice-all-g-owners-read-t401323.html
NJ_EX35 wrote:If you unfortunately get blood on your interior take a piece of ice and rub it on the blood, will take it right out or just use plastic and avoid a mess.

I lol'd a little while reading that, I was thinking to myself...If anyone knows how to remove blood from carpeting the guy from Jersey would. :mike

As I write this on my laptop I can't help but be reminded about the several surface wounds on my hands from a week of dashboard replacements (almost all black interior FXs for some reason). I never thought to use ice on it though, I use spray nine and a steam cleaner but I am a frequent user of quick coagulation spray. I have spent thousands of dollars on gloves of all types for all types of works over the years. I used to be a hard core nitrile fan, but they are expensive and slice through easier than my skin. What I am now using are jersey type gloves with a thin layer of nitrile (see below image). These breath like no other gloves I have used. Most rubber gloves cause your hands to sweat after more than 5 minutes and they are not very cost efficient. I have three sets of these in rotation currently. One for interior, one detailing, and one for undercar work, tires and other routine and dirty tasks.
http://matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatal ... e=7&#51042

PolarDog

Hydrogen Peroxide will take blood stains out. It's what surgeons and others use to clean up. It's very cheap. Works best when applied to a fresh stain. Rinse with water when you're done.

EXceptional

It's a shame that one has to bleed-to-death, just to perform a maintenance item on the EX35

uygarselman
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

It is very difficult to change the damn filter. This is my fourth different car and I always did it by myself with my other cars. It never took me more than five minutes to change the filter. I believe Infiniti purposely made it so difficult to force us to go to the dealers, so they can milk us more!

TomT
Car: 2010 Blue Slate EX 35 Journey RWD with Bose/Navi package

uygarselman wrote:It is very difficult to change the damn filter. This is my fourth different car and I always did it by myself with my other cars. It never took me more than five minutes to change the filter. I believe Infiniti purposely made it so difficult to force us to go to the dealers, so they can milk us more!
I'm sure your right. Takes me about 2 minutes to change out the one in my wife's Rav4. Well depending on how much crap she has stuffed in the glovebox.

ex35tdt

How to remove the glove box?
The manual say remove the pin on the left, but how? Just use flat-head screw driver to pray it out?

EXceptional

Steve... do you have an exploded diagram of a Cabin Filter Replacement ?

canuck99

Are the charcoal and grapeseed filters interchangeable?

DrSuess
Car: 2010 EX35 Journey RWD, Premium, Navigation, Graphite Platinum, graphite interior

Just did this today using the Service Manual

The instructions are not too descriptive.

Essentially you need to:
1.) open the glove box, pull towards you to release the lower hinges (the GB snaps on and off the hinges)
2.) release the damper pin on the left side of the GB by snapping it out
3.) wiggle the GB out
4.) remove the right side panel between the door and GB by prying it from the front towards the right (it snaps in place too)
5.) remove the panel below the GB by prying down from the front towards the floor ( 3 snaps hold it in place)
6.) remove the seven screws holding the back portion of the GB and then remove that panel
7.) the cabin air filter is behind a white door and is opened by releasing the clip on the right side (pull towards you slightly then to the right to remove)
8.) remove and replace filter being careful to orient the filter for proper flow (see the arrow on the replacement)
Reassemble

EXceptional

Did you bleed ?

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

Thanks for posting that, Doc!

:)

alloveru
Car: 2013 - JX35
2011 - loaded suburb outback aka garbage

hmmm... thanks for the instructions Dr... all went pretty easily, however, now my glovebox light wont work. I took it back apart and tried see if i could see anything but nothing. had a heck of a time with the screw clips putting it back together the second time. so i guess i will just live with no glove light. mind you i never go in the glove box anyways.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

Make sure the connections are true and secured

alloveru
Car: 2013 - JX35
2011 - loaded suburb outback aka garbage

actually... it works now! must have timed out (battery run down protection).

gkdyeung
Car: 2010 EX35 AWD with Tech
Black on Black

any advice on in-cabin microfilters?
i'm planning on ordering from rock auto... and there's over a dozen different filters to choose from.
and there's particulate and carbon filters.
while i'm not an absolute stickler for OE products... anyone know the OE microfilter for 2010 infiniti EX35?
any experience with other (superior) filters?
(not that my nose will likely tell the difference).
thanks
gord

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”