Replacing / Upgrading Reverse Lamps

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

********* 2007 Infinit M35 *********

To replace / upgrade your reverse lamps or license plate lamps, you will need only one tool:
A small flat-head screw driver or similar tool. You may even be able to use your thumbnail.

The felt liner on the inside of the trunk lid must be removed as follows:

The liner is held in place by 2 large plastic fasteners and I believe 6 smaller fasteners. The small fasteners look like this:

The large fasteners look like this and are on either side of the metal trunk latch:

To remove the large fasteners, turn the gear portion counter-clockwise to loosen it, then use the screwdriver to pull the small inner section outward. Then pull and jiggle the entire piece to remove it. To remove all of the smaller fasteners, use the screwdriver to pull out the inner round portion, then pull outward from the base to remove them:

After all the fasteners are removed, pull on the yellow plastic inner-release handle by working the screwdriver under the entire black assembly - it is not held by fasteners and will 'pop' out.

This asembly will need to be fed backwards out through the hole to allow the trunk liner to fall away from the trunk lid. Next work the trunk liner over the metal latch and the large black "PULL" handle so its free to fall away. The liner will still have a wire going through it at the lower left corner so it cannot be removed entirely from the trunk lid, but will fall way so you can see the entire underside of the trunk lid. This should be what you see:

In the red circle above, you can see the reverse lamp holders - on the outer edges of the trunk lid. Turn these counter clockwise to loosen and then slowly and carefully remove them from the socket. **** Do this slowly and make sure you don't knock the bulbs loose as they could fall out of the holder and into the reflector. ***

NOTE: the license plate lamp sockets will also be exposed with the trunk liner removed so you may want to upgrade them while you're here. They are removed and replaced same as the reverse lights.

Put on a pair of latex or other lint-free gloves BEFORE handling bulbs as oils from your skin could stick to them and shorten the lifespan. Simply remove the existing bulbs and replace with new bulbs.
*** IMPORTANT ***
Before you place the bulbs back into the reflectors, you should test them to ensure they light up. Some LED bulbs are 'polar' and you may need to remove them and reverse them in the socket before they will light up. You don't want to re-install everything only to find the bulbs don't light and have to repeat all this. I find that about 50% of the time I need to reverse bulbs to get them to light.

Now that the bulbs have been tested - re-install them into the socket SLOWLY making sure the bulbs do NOT scrape along the reflector housing. Again, you don't want the bulb to knock loose and fall into the reflector. Tighten by turning the holder clock-wise until it is firmly in place.

Now you can re-install everytihng in the following order:

FIRST - slide the yellow inner trunk release back through it's hole and let it hang freely INSIDE the trunk area. This will be the LAST item you re-attach - leave it hanging for now.

Then replace the small fasteners - make sure the inner round portion is extended, then insert the fastener by pushing its BASE into place, and lock it by pushing the inner round portion in last.

The large fasteners are re-installed the same way - extend the inner portion, push on the base back into the trunk lid, then push the inner round portion inward to secure it, then turn the gear clockwise to tighten.

The yellow inner release handle is then re-installed by pushing the black base into the two holes visible in the trunk lid.
Last edited by Larz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donnieb83
Car: 2007 M45S

Awesome DIY!!! :bigthumb:

06M4.5
Car: 2006 M45

Nice job :dblthumb: pics are very clear

Larz

Thanks Freddie & Donnie!]

WillV
Car: 2006 M35 Moonlight White/Tan Interior

Great write up, this will be my next upgrade now that I have a good guide! I think I'm going to go ahead and just do the license plate lights too..

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

I followed this a couple of years ago and love the results. I've purchased the VLED lamps and they've been perfect. The backup lamps make it so much easier to see everything at night - looks great on the screen.

WillV

kmiles, no resistors needed or anything like that right? I just today replaced my burnt out original halogen parking lamps and it was just plug in and turn on! I think that this should be the same, and only the turn signals need those, but would appreciate a response!

Infiniti_M35B
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35 Base/ 3.5L RWD

What kind of bulbs are those???

Larz wrote:********* 2007 Infinit M35 *********

To replace / upgrade your reverse lamps or license plate lamps, you will need only one tool:
A small flat-head screw driver or similar tool. You may even be able to use your thumbnail.

The felt liner on the inside of the trunk lid must be removed as follows:

The liner is held in place by 2 large plastic fasteners and I believe 6 smaller fasteners. The small fasteners look like this:

The large fasteners look like this and are on either side of the metal trunk latch:

To remove the large fasteners, turn the gear portion counter-clockwise to loosen it, then use the screwdriver to pull the small inner section outward. Then pull and jiggle the entire piece to remove it. To remove all of the smaller fasteners, use the screwdriver to pull out the inner round portion, then pull outward from the base to remove them:

After all the fasteners are removed, pull on the yellow plastic inner-release handle by working the screwdriver under the entire black assembly - it is not held by fasteners and will 'pop' out.

This asembly will need to be fed backwards out through the hole to allow the trunk liner to fall away from the trunk lid. Next work the trunk liner over the metal latch and the large black "PULL" handle so its free to fall away. The liner will still have a wire going through it at the lower left corner so it cannot be removed entirely from the trunk lid, but will fall way so you can see the entire underside of the trunk lid. This should be what you see:

In the red circle above, you can see the reverse lamp holders - on the outer edges of the trunk lid. Turn these counter clockwise to loosen and then slowly and carefully remove them from the socket. **** Do this slowly and make sure you don't knock the bulbs loose as they could fall out of the holder and into the reflector. ***

NOTE: the license plate lamp sockets will also be exposed with the trunk liner removed so you may want to upgrade them while you're here. They are removed and replaced same as the reverse lights.

Put on a pair of latex or other lint-free gloves BEFORE handling bulbs as oils from your skin could stick to them and shorten the lifespan. Simply remove the existing bulbs and replace with new bulbs.
*** IMPORTANT ***
Before you place the bulbs back into the reflectors, you should test them to ensure they light up. Some LED bulbs are 'polar' and you may need to remove them and reverse them in the socket before they will light up. You don't want to re-install everything only to find the bulbs don't light and have to repeat all this. I find that about 50% of the time I need to reverse bulbs to get them to light.

Now that the bulbs have been tested - re-install them into the socket SLOWLY making sure the bulbs do NOT scrape along the reflector housing. Again, you don't want the bulb to knock loose and fall into the reflector. Tighten by turning the holder clock-wise until it is firmly in place.

Now you can re-install everytihng in the following order:

FIRST - slide the yellow inner trunk release back through it's hole and let it hang freely INSIDE the trunk area. This will be the LAST item you re-attach - leave it hanging for now.

Then replace the small fasteners - make sure the inner round portion is extended, then insert the fastener by pushing its BASE into place, and lock it by pushing the inner round portion in last.

The large fasteners are re-installed the same way - extend the inner portion, push on the base back into the trunk lid, then push the inner round portion inward to secure it, then turn the gear clockwise to tighten.

The yellow inner release handle is then re-installed by pushing the black base into the two holes visible in the trunk lid.

WillV

Infiniti_M35B wrote:What kind of bulbs are those???
Ditto. I'd like to know as well.

Larz

That was my 07 and I buy ALL of my LEDs from a site called VLeds. I looked at the site and they still list a 921 that will fit the 2006 M series but it appears they have re-designed it since I bought mine. Here is the link:
http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/reverse- ... -w-6k.html
You can buy LEDs for about $5 on Ebay and other sites, but they are never as bright or as well made as VLed products. Just double check the actual length of the bulb before buying to be sure it will fit all the way inside the housing. Some bulbs fit the opening, but are too long for the actual space inside the housing.

kmiles
Sold - 2007 M35x

From the VLEDS.com site I bought the following:

Reverse lights (921): 5K White 15 LED 921
License plate lights (194): 5K WHITE HIGH POWER LED BULBS 194 168 158 80LM | 1 PAIR

I've also installed the VLED Tritons front and rear. On the fronts ones I want the DRL features and for the rear ones I bought the amber ones. They're expensive, but worth it. With all of the rain around here, it is great having DRLs on my car. There are some really good posts on this site that I used to do it.

WillV

Larz and kmiles, I agree. I have seen the how to install the triton switchback and have it used up front as a drl and loved the lights so much that they are on my list to order. I think the price is well worth what I plan to get out of them :-) glad to hear a positive review of the rear signals too. Thanks

MIKE80
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35X

Nice write-up Larz. When using my backup camera at night, could definitely use more light back there.

kmiles
Sold - 2007 M35x

If you're interested in the VLED lights, be sure and take a look at their site on holiday weekends - they usually have sales on both Memorial Day and on the 4th of July. They are in Western Washington, north of Seattle. When I order I usually get them in just 1 to 2 days with regular USPS shipping. Great support and great service!

MIKE80
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35X

Nice! Thanks for the tip! I'll look for the sale.

WillV

MIKE80 wrote:Nice! Thanks for the tip! I'll look for the sale.
Lol yes thank you! What great timing, with next weekend!

kmiles
Sold - 2007 M35x

I received an email today that the sale is tomorrow (Memorial Day) only, starting at midnight Pacific time:

http://www.vleds.com/promo

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”