CERAMIC Vs. SEMI-METALLIC PADS

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
str8right
Car: G37S

It seems to be a major topic and concern for everyone that is looking for the best brake pads these days. Ceramic or Semi-metallic pads??? How will my rotors be affected by the different materials if I switch to a ceramic pad??? Overall ceramic pads seem to get the best reviews all around with many positive characteristics such as Longer life, Less dust, Less Noise, Great performance, and Less wear on your Rotors.

I currently have the stock pads made by Ultram and they are squeeling like crazy. They create lots of Dust as well :tisk: I recently brought my G in to Infiniti to have them checked and I still have 50% left on them. I've been doing research on lots of highly recommended brands such as Hawk, Project Mu, Akebono and others to see what pad I should go with.

I've called a few part stores in my area and they have been recommending the ceramic pad vs. the semi-metallic one. One of the brands that was mentioned is the DURALAST GOLD Cmax(Ceramic $84.99) or the Akebono which was the semi-metallic pad for $64.99. Has anyone used either of these pads?? I've read some decent reviews on the Duralasts Gold Cmax.

Any feedback or recommendations would be appreciated.
Last edited by str8right on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

I'd recommend Hawk pads. Street type pads should be perfect for you as they have great stopping power, but don't make a ton of brake dust.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I'm running Project mu in front and Hawk in back on the G37s. Project mu are more aggressive and do have more brake dust than stock.

str8right
Car: G37S

Thanks Joe, I've read some good reviews on the Hawks. I was planning on getting the ceramic pads they make. Is that what you have?

james t kirk

I'm curious to know if anyone has an opinion with respect to the Ceramic Pads that Infiniti Part USA are offering for $40.00

http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/splash/ ... ?siteid=55

I replaced all 4 rotors about 30,000 km's ago with new stock rotors and ceramic pads from what was then "Everything G35" or the like. I was in the dealer yesterday getting a cam sensor replaced (another story) and the dealer said, "oh, by they way, someone put aftermarket brakes on and now you need all new rotors and pads"

I had been noticing a slight pulsation at highway speeds, so I know that something is up.

The Dealer told me it would be $1,400.00 to replace all 4 rotors and install new stock pads. He also said I needed new spark plugs for $400.00. I told him to change the cam sensor, balance the wheels, but that I could change the brakes myself. He looked at me like I had 2 heads.

Anyhooo, I went with the ceramic pads last time because the stock pads generate this thick black greasy dust that is just insane!

The ceramic pads - almost nothing.

I can feel the slight pulsation in brakes at highway speeds, but I'm amazed that I would need all 4 new rotors after only 30, or 35 thousand kilometres.

I'm figuring that either the fronts or most likely the rear (all stock) rotors are warped.

It's funny, but while I was waiting a lady sitting beside me was in for a brake pulsation, but under warrantee. Her - they told her that they would resurface her rotors. Me, because I'm out of warrantee, they tell me I need 4 new rotors, despite me only having 30,000 km on them.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Uhm....Sounds like a crock of crap to me.

For rotors, hit up tunerzstore.com for some stoptech's.

Dr. Uzi
Car: 2005 G35 Sedan

Umm... Just have the stock rotors turned for like 25 bucks a pair at your local repair shop. That will take care of the pulsation at highway speeds. Rotor warping is a normal occurance over time and even a little tiny bit will effect large rotors like those on the G cars. You dont need to replace the rotors due to this :rolleyes: Have them turned and good god man dont spend some ridiculous amount of money on brake pads. I just changed the brakes on all four corners, had the front rotors turned and put in some Pep Boys Pro-Stop Ceramic pads at $51 for the front and $42 for the rear. Car stops great, no squeals, minimal dust and the bank isnt broken. If you are doing racing or autocross then you may consider some aftermarket rotors and those expensive Hawk pads. Otherwise why bother spending the dough on something that really isnt needed for 99% of normal driving. Though I will admit, I am going to change the rotors out for a set of drilled and slotted ones at the next brake change but this is mainly for asthetic reasons TBH. If you aint racing, keep it cheap, unless of course you have money burning a hole through the bank vault and dont care... :dblthumb:

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”