Caster Issue

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
everettc1

Just had my S14 aligned today, but they tell me it's pulling to the right because of the caster, which is non-adjustable. The print out shows caster of 5.3 degrees in both front wheels, versus recommended spec of 6.0 to 7.5. Am I correct in assuming that caster measures how far forwards or backwards the wheel is, and that wrong caster will cause the car to pull to the left or right but won't cause the tire to wear wrong (unlike camber problems)? Also, Am I correct in assuming I have to check out the front tie rods and the frame, to see what's causing the caster problem?

Thanks,Wayne C.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

check the front tension rods, and a caster "split" causes a pull problem, IE a difference of over .4 degrees between the two readings can cause a pull problem.

caster will affect your turn-in and other things, but most people wouldnt even notice if there was a problem...

-chet

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

If the caster is the same on both sides, then the caster is not why the car is pulling to once side. If all the rest of the specs are correct though, it may just be pulling towards the low-side of the road. More caster gives a better self-centering effect and it just may have more of a tendency to pull to a low spot since your caster is on the low side.

Caster is not directly a measure of how far forward or back a wheel is. It's the angle of the turning axis of the front wheels on a front to back plane. On the 240 though, caster is usually changed by the position of the front wheels.

240_Keyy
Car: '90 240 Fastback

I think I have mine sitting at 6.5* I also have adjustable TC rods, what should I set my caster to?

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

mine is set at 6.5 just like yours, thats perfect in my opinion, but if you plan on racing I would alter it based on lap times..-chet

240_Keyy
Car: '90 240 Fastback

ok, cool. It feels pretty good as it is, I was just wondering what other people are running.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”