Caring for new car factory paint

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
slothorilla
Car: 2011 G37S Sedan

I just purchased a new cherry red 2011 Infiniti G37S sedan about a week ago and it is without a doubt the most beautiful car I have ever had. I want it to stay as nice as it looked in the showroom, and everytime I see a bit of dust/pollen/dirt/bug-splat I am tempted to grab a microfiber cloth and wipe it off (I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive like that). I'm afraid that I'll inadvertanly scratch the paint or something if I do that, though. A friend told me that the paint on a new car shouldn't need to be waxed or anything for a few months (they suggested to wax it just before the summer heat hits), but I don't know if that's true for my new G37s and I want to do everything possible to protect the paint. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and give my car it's first wax/paint detail, or if it's fine to just wait? I read that Meguiar's Quick Detailer Mist & Wipe can be used in-between car washes - is it safe to use that a couple of times a week? Would I be better off using Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer (or even plain water) instead? Should gas-station drive-through car washes (even touchless) be avoided at all costs? Thanks for the help!

RCA

Welcome to NICO!

The feeling you are describing happens to all of us. You realize that keeping your car showroom ready requires showroom energy/effort. If the G37 is your daily driver then you will quickly realize that it isn't very feasible to expect your car to stay perfect. You might want to look into a clear bra for the front end, because no matter how much you wax, if you get hit by a small peddle your G will suffer.

I would also check out the Detailing forum if you don't get a response.
detailing-forum.html

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Welcome to NICO!

To answer your question, even though your car is "new" the paint has been on it for a while. Waiting to wax is something people do when they re-paint a car.

Now what to use....I'd recommend zaino products. I've been using there polish for over a decade with all of my cars and have always been happy. Just be careful to polish when the pollen count is high.

Here's their website: http://www.zainostore.com/

Search the forum for multiple posts on application and what to buy.

hockeynut
Car: 2011 Infiniti G37s, 2004 BMW 330cic

Another vote for the Zaino line - I love it. Lots of work but well worth it. Be sure to claybar your car first - then you will have clean surface to apply the rest of the products. Zaino has everything you need.

Also look at a clear bra as RCA said. We did ours (a red G37s as well) and it was $675 well spent.

slothorilla

Hey Thanks RCA and joe603!

I just want to do whatever I can to keep my G looking as sweet as possible. I considered a bunch of different products but decided to order the Zaino ZKIT-1 which seems like a good value considering everything that comes with it. I'm very much looking forward to it's arrival, although my wife thinks I'm just a tad obsessive about it. I just call it protecting my investment. :dblthumb:

slothorilla

hockeynut wrote:Another vote for the Zaino line - I love it. Lots of work but well worth it. Be sure to claybar your car first - then you will have clean surface to apply the rest of the products. Zaino has everything you need.

Also look at a clear bra as RCA said. We did ours (a red G37s as well) and it was $675 well spent.
Hockeynut, I think we have the same car, lol.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5 ... directlink

I wonder though, if you spent $675 on the bra, why not just spend the extra $300 or so to buy the Master Care Protection Warranty (or whatever its called) from Infiniti? It's my understanding that Infiniti will fix any scratch, chip, or ding, as well as repair damage to the tires and wheels, plus some other stuff that I forgot. Do you plan on keeping your G for more than 3-5 yrs?

slothorilla

My ZKIT has arrived! Shipping through UPS Ground was pretty quick. I've been going back and forth wheather or not the cost of a clear bra is worth it for a leased car; it seems that most of the people in the auto repair business who I've asked about it would recommend it. If I do decide to get one installed (which would be very soon), I was told by the installer to wait until after the bra has been installed to use my ZKIT.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”