CARB legal engine swaps - which way to go?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
armaddon
Car: 1993 240sx

Hi everyone,

I've been doing a lot of digging around for a good project to work on next, and happen to have a good 89 fastback shell just kinda sitting around - and live in good ol' CA with all its wonderful smog BS. I always thought there wasn't any hope as KA-T/SR20/CA18/RBs are all illegal - til I really read the CARB laws and realized that practically -any- motor from a same year or newer USDM car of the same class (light passenger = OK, heavy duty truck = NOT OK) can be ref'd and certified (Check out some of the links at the end of the thread if you disagree).

So anyway - my roommate and I are pretty set on trying out a different engine. We really want to keep it legit and plan on getting it legalized, and understand that this means keeping all the fuel delivery systems/exhaust/EGR crap and everything intact. My question is for anyone that has gone through this process before with a 240 - what swap would you recommend?

We've looked at a few:

VG30DE/TT - looks like a royal PITA to get everything to fit, but the guy in this post got it all in: zerothread/187589 - but reading through it I saw where fayceoff ended up - maybe a good idea to try? Motor shouldn't be TOO hard to find.. just still not too sure how to get it in there aside from fabbing up my own crossmembers/mounts

VQ30DE - I 'heard' this motor is cheap and easy to come by, and mounting a FWD VQ30DE can be done using tranny/custom mounts etc. (I believe an s12 crossmemeber + 300zx mounts, and a 300zx tranny) - think it's really worth it?

VQ35DE (FWD) - this one has me really interested.. considering there are CARB legal aftermarket forced-induction mods available. FWD VQ35DEs are MUCH cheaper than RWD VQ35DEs, A guy in the hybrid forums posted a teaser pic of one of these mounted in his 240sx with a custom crossmember, and I've heard of this particular swap being done in other cars.

VQ35HR - $$$$$$$$$ probly not honestly gonna work considering the bang for the immense buck right now

2JZGTTE - still expensive, but goddamn this would rock bringing over everything stock would still be crazy fast, and CARB-legal modifications can make a 2JZ 240sx a real beast.. and still pass smog. Think it's realistically possible to swap over the fuel systems/OBDII ecu/etc over without spending more than just buying a real Supra?

LS1 - not too big on V8s myself, but throwing this out there just because the motors are so damned cheap and easy to get. I can pick up a whole Camaro for easy money. Just not sure if it's worth the effort if I just stuck with CARB legal bolt-ons

4G63 - I don't have the link ready, but there is a site dedicated to building RWD 4G63 motors for swaps into other cars.. as I read the law this would be just as legal as a VQ35DE FWD swap, as long as all pertinent stock junk is brought over. It'd be sorta like a poor-man's SR20 that costs a lot more than an SR20, but is legal lol

13B - always wanted an FD.. and to rebuild my motor once a month :D it can't possibly burn more oil than what I do in my own KA lol - just never heard ANYTHING about ANYONE even THINKING of attempting this.

Renesis Rotary - uh... nevermind

So.. for reference, I'll attach a few links about the CARB requirements/etc. Yes, this is possible.. but is it realistic? intake/exhaust/fuel/emissions/ecu systems/wiring.. We're pretty experienced at wiring/welding, and feeling pretty bold - just looking for a good direction to go

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm - CARB website http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pag....html - More in-depth info about the ref process (they intended a swap for a Chevy S-10 but the process is exacty the same)

A VQ35 or 2JZ 240 would be awesome... especially when the paranoid cops around here ask me to pop the hood again

Wc240
Car: 89 240
97 200sx
91 240 ka-t
06 scion xb
2000 frontier

ive been looking into this to. the problem i found is that and the reason its a pain in the a$$ is that every usdm swap thats actually worth it power wise, is not financially worth it( exept when you consider the Not have to pay impound fees factor)VG.s ive heard are a waste due to bieng 2 heavy, and to much pain. dont know, could have just been that source

Patarach
Car: 240sx convertible KA-T

Lately the chevy LS series swap into the 240sx have been popular and for bang for the buck engine swap carb legal its probably your best option, but honestly never been a huge fan of throwing some 5 odd liter engine in something just to make it fast.

Are turbo kits really not carb legal, i mean if you keep all your emission stuff and everything??

My turbo 240 passed in boulder county colorado, next best thing to california.

Wc240
Car: 89 240
97 200sx
91 240 ka-t
06 scion xb
2000 frontier

if your smart and do it right, you can get anything to pass. as far as i know, there is no smog legal turbo kit for the ka. that doesnt mean you cant make one pass

KA24DET3/T4
Car: 91' 240sx s13 hatch SE

Greddy makes a CARB legal turbo kit for $4k, but it only is CARB legal on OBDII cars..... I have an OBDI 91 240sx s13 and I'm screwed on swaps and turbo......

Thanks a lot Cali!

>.<

-T

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

Your best option really is a VQ30DE from a 95 maxima. 95 or early 95s are obd1 and are super simple. You can put nistune on any of the VQ30 ecus so you can tune them easily. They also love boost like any of nissans engines, and are super efficent.

A stock VQ30 swap tuned should lay down 200whp easily. That would be stock 350z exhaust manifolds. Being a 95 you could also easily transfer over the stock emission controls.

Also the front covers and valve covers are interchangeable between the 3L and 3.5L RWD or FWD. So a VQ30 sticker can be put on a 3.5L ;)

~Alex

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I'm gonna disagree on the VG30, but only because it's a lot of work for little gain.

I'd say LS all day long. Cheap, more power than you'll ever need, and they're getting much simpler.

Although, another one to consider is the 1UZFE, and we have THE guru on these swaps right here on NICO.

den240
Car: 92 ca18det cnvt

AZ, who is this "THE guru on these swaps" you speak of?

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”