Car won't start...STARTER OR IGNITION???

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Mr. Sileighty
Car: '91 Nissan 240 SX Fastback

I have a 240 and when I stick the key in the ingnition and turn it, all the lights come on but there is no click at all. I wanted to know if it's my starter that's out because, someone told me that it could be the ignition itself. Now I'm all confused trying to figure out what is wrong. I'm pretty sure that it's the starter but with my friend telling me otherwise, now I'm lost. Can anyone help me out???

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Try manually jumping the starter, if it spins, you have an ignition problem, if not, you've got a dead starter. Also check you battery, make sure it is charged, and all the terminals are clean and tight.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

i'm voting battery. A lot of times you can get power to the electronics as they aren't big draws on the battery. The starter, however, requires a decent amount of power and if there isn't enough you'll just get a key turn with no sound whatsoever.

Mr. Sileighty
Car: '91 Nissan 240 SX Fastback

SideWays=smiles wrote:Try manually jumping the starter, if it spins, you have an ignition problem, if not, you've got a dead starter. Also check you battery, make sure it is charged, and all the terminals are clean and tight.
I see...too bad the car is parked on a hill in the driveway and the hill angles toward the house and not the street.

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Mr. Sileighty wrote:
I see...too bad the car is parked on a hill in the driveway and the hill angles toward the house and not the street.
By manually jumping it I mean, run a jumper wire from the solenoid on the starter to a body ground, this will manually activate the starter.

vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

SideWays=smiles wrote:
By manually jumping it I mean, run a jumper wire from the solenoid on the starter to a body ground, this will manually activate the starter.
I think you mean postitive of battery , not ground. you have to connect it to the wire that is normally connected to ignition. if you connect at the wrong spot on solenoid you only get the starter to spin. you bypass the solenoid. its normally the solenoid you want to test as it is normally the thing not working.

vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

You always hit (with rubber mallet)the starter motor and the solenoid in these cases. If the car starts , you know you have to replace starter/solenoid.

look up starter in tutorial link in my signature. jump start the battery to make sure you dont have a weak battery

S14-NEO
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx RB25 NEO powered

if the battery tests good and you can hotwire the starter to get the engine to start , a good place to start looking if all that works ok is the grommet on the clutch pedel safety switch (assuming its a 5 spd). they call them jelly grommets and they do come apart and fall to the floor in peices..the factory ones are usually black if they havent been replaced yet.

trahc
Car: 93 Nissan 240sx se

if a 5 speed check the clutch switch , if a auto check neutral safety swtch. after that check the starter relay, if that checks good see if you can jump out the relay to make the starter spin (please leave the car in neutral ) if that doesnt work jump out the solinoid switch @ the starter ( still in neutral). oh verify voltage first @ the batery.

nxpoweredsr20
Car: 95 240sx w/sr20 swap, nx wet shot, t4 turbo, shop car

sometimes on my 95 240sx in the fuse box under the hood the ignition relay somehow slips out a tiny bit just enough for the car to not even start.....try jiggling that

SonnyG
Car: I have 5 cars

OK let me try and help you....Get $50 and your battery and go to auto zone1. Have them test the battery......Make sure thats good first or you'll be chasing your tail....... ..If its good proceed to the next step......

2. Buy a Haynes manual,a multi meter and 20 ft of 10guage wire.........Once you look at the manual it should specify values such as voltage amperage ohmage etc..... In the manual actually there are a lot of trouble shooting techniques.....

But assuming you have a good battery.......All you need is ignition,fuel,air,compression.......

Ok with the starter.....Put the car on jack stands...safely...I mean safely...

Make sure your getting juice to the starter...Have a buddy sit in the car with the key in the off position,,,, when your ready with v-meter have him try to start it,,,, should be anywhere from 12-14 volts......

If your broke and have tools you can pull the starter out and have autozone test it for free...... But make sure 2 disconnect battery first!!!!

You can do as another member suggested....jump the starter solenoid,,,,,,THat should engage.it,,,,Unless the solenoids bad 2!!!!The rubber mallet routine works sometimes...But can sometimes cause damage.....

How are the starter relays/ign fuses?....Use the v-meter to see.......

I can go on for days...Cars are to complicated.........Buy a v-meter,12ft of 10g..and a haynes manual.......Youd be surprised what you can do with that......

Any questions [email protected]

s3teen
Car: 89 s13 240sx, 93 s13 vert

S14-NEO wrote:if the battery tests good and you can hotwire the starter to get the engine to start , a good place to start looking if all that works ok is the grommet on the clutch pedel safety switch (assuming its a 5 spd). they call them jelly grommets and they do come apart and fall to the floor in peices..the factory ones are usually black if they havent been replaced yet.

year old thread jack... . I just did a 5spd swap on my convertible and I believe that the ignition is not completing it's circuit. I can jump the starter and it will start the car but I can't start it with a key. Any picture of that jelly grommets?

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”