Car Died Tonight in the Rain. Problem Shifting. Advice?

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
sLAKERZ
Car: 2009 G37 Sedan

Hello everyone. I was driving my wife's car tonight (2009 G37 Base Auto Sedan) in some pretty heavy rain. I didn't go through any large puddles, but the rain was coming down hard enough that visibility was becoming a concern. Driving at about 35mph merging onto a freeway, I noticed something didn't feel quite right in the transmission. From a constant 35mph, as I tried to accelerate (I'm thinking from 2nd to 3rd gear), it began to have problems shifting and started bucking a couple times. I brought it back down to a constant 25mph and it was fine. Tried a couple more times to accelerate and it did the same thing. Brought it back down to 20mph to get off the freeway and when I arrived at the stop light, the car died with CEL going on, oil light on, battery light on. I was able to start it back up and barely accelerate enough to get safely to the side for a tow. I'm not a gearhead, so I wanted to see if anyone had any advice on what may be the problem before I bring it in to the dealer. AAA tow guy said it might be that the coil pack/sparkplugs may have gotten wet and caused the problems. He said to try and let it dry out first and see if it resolves itself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If the vehicle was ever serviced not by the dealer it is likely the fiberboard shroud underneath the vehicle was missing or damaged and a substantial amount of water may have damaged some of the vehicle electronics.
Have it towed to an Infiniti dealer for a complete inspection

sLAKERZ

^^^Thanks for the reply. Definitely plan on towing it to the dealer for inspection and will keep the fiberboard shroud in mind. The car was purchased used CPO, so I'm not sure if it was ever serviced by a non-dealer prior to our ownership. I've done an oil change on the car but didn't pay attention to the shrouds (besides the one needed to pull down for oil change).

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Even with the under shroud missing a bit of water should not cause it...hell, most vehicles don't have these.

Did it clear up?

sLAKERZ

Update :
Turns out this was unrelated to the rain. I took it to the dealer and turns out the MAF sensor went bad. Fortunately, it was still under power train warranty. So it's all good now. Got a nice Q50 loaner for a couple days it all worked out. They tried to sell me on new brakes, filters, oil change, but I just declined and did it on my own.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”