Car bucking/jerking issues only when snowing

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
nicholestorms
Car: 2010 Infiniti M35X

Hello, I am in need of some information from anyone who may have had/has the same issue I am having. I only had my 2010 Infiniti M35X for one month when on a snowy day the car starting bucking or jerking. It was brought into the shop the next day and no code was found nor was any issue found and it drove fine. It drove perfect again until the next snowfall when it happened again and again. I still had not figured out this only happened when it snowed or even if a few flurries were flying. I wrote down when it happened for the next month and the weather conditions and it was only on snowy/flurries days. I spoke with a few mechanics who stated snow was probably getting some sensor wet and was making the car jerk but I have no idea what sensor that could be and I don't want to wait for the next snow day to have it test driven. Has anyone ever heard of this? I'm stumped.

Nichole
Last edited by EdBwoy on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title

EdBwoy

I haven't heard of it personally, but I'll take a stab at it.

Does your ABS/ SLIP light come on when this bucking and jerking happens?
Do you have the mode selector switch in front of the cupholder set to SNOW mode?

Lastly, are all 4 tires in good shape and are they the same size?

nicholestorms

I appreciate the reply.
No lights whatsoever come on. The rpm's do not move, the brake lights do not come on, the snow mode is off and the tires are all new. Its so puzzling.
I turned on the snow mode yesterday during a snowfall to see if that would change things and the car still bucks. Goodling this issue I see others have the same exact situation and on different vehicles but have never read the possible answer. It is not snowing today and drove into work perfectly.

EdBwoy

Ok, with new tires I'd like to assume they're the correct size for the car, and all the same size too.
Mind posting what brand they are?

I know you day, no lights come on and that the RPMs don't change, but to eliminate misfiring issues, I'd ask:
How many miles does the car have? Do you know if the coilpacks, spark plugs or air filter(s) have been replaced recently?
Yours might not be misfire related, but I once had a car absolutely go to crap during a bad winter storm... I don't know why, but the tlow emperature had somehow rendered my sparkplugs useless.

nicholestorms

I checked and all 4 tires say 245/45ZR18 / 96W. I bought the car 2 months ago from a dealership which stated all maint was completed and it does drive perfect when the snow is not falling. A few mechanics I know said it sounds like snow is getting inside and getting a sensor wet but that confuses me too.

nicholestorms

Sorry, the car has 130,000 miles on it.

nicholestorms

Googling the issue I found a post from years ago from someone else with the same issue but no resolution:
08 nissan sentra bucks during snow storm
Maintenance/Repairs nissan sentra
cavedelasell

Jan '13
Hey everyone I drive a 2008 nissan sentra(98xxxmiles). I commute 100 miles daily and have an issue that occurs only when it is snowing. Regardless of how much snow is on the ground, every time there is decent snow fall my car will randomly buck. feels almost as though my transmission slips for just an instant and then regains control. for a while, i had to study this issue before i could fully wrap my head around it. I took the car to my shop and they could detect nothing wrong with the car, which is definitely not the case.
i suspect that there is an issue with a sensor or an actuator involved with the overdrive that is having the issue. but i could be wrong. does anyone having any thoughts or knowledge such a sporadic problem

EdBwoy

This is new, to me, but I'm sure someone here will solve it if we keep at it.

Did the Sentara owner mention where he/she was located? I see you're in MN

Have you taken the car to a car wash recently? If not, and if you're able to, I'd try to get the wheels wet, even by garden hose or bucket.
If it's related to a sensor and wetness, that test should get the wheel speed sensors enough water for the problem to come up after you leave the carwash.

njjuliano
Car: 2010 M45X

I have a 2010, and have not experienced it. Can you clarify the bucking? Is it lunging you forward as if you are pumping the breaks? You said the rpms are not moving so I cant imagine it being similar to slamming on the gas intermittently, but does it feel like it does? Are you slipping on the snow? Are there sounds when it does? As EdBwoy said, I'm sure we'll figure it out if we keep at it.

nicholestorms

Thank you! It snowed on Friday so I paid extra attention and the car feels like it is being pulled back then released if that makes sense. It hesitates. I turned off the VDC which did not help at all. The roads can be completely dry and the snow just starting to fall and it will happen. The best way to explain it for me is like if there was a camera on the car and it saw any sort of snow flakes fall it will lunge. Dry roads and all. One time it was not snowing but snow blew off the back end of a truck that was ahead of me and the car jerked. Craziest thing ever.

nicholestorms

I googled again and found this. I don't know if it helps but its the same issue!

Explorer 2000 engine bucking in snow

Maintenance/Repairs engines explorer winter +
This car runs fine, except when it snows. Then it starts bucking like the engine has quit and restarted. Rain does not cause this, wind has no effect. Even if I start out with no snow in the air it runs fine (and regardless of the temperature outside), but if ONE snow flake happens to drop off of a tree in its path then the fun begins! It doesn't seem to matter if it's a nor'easter, or just a few flakes. My mechanic has no idea, and the Ford service guy at the dealership has never heard of this. ANY IDEAS!!? HELP!!!!

nicholestorms

I'm a crazy poster, I know. Found this about the issue. I will replace filter and see what happens.
I lost hope until I did some more googling and other people who had the same problem replaced their air filters. Air filters not seated properly or defective ones allows snow, dirt, debris, etc... to pass through and hit the MAF sensor which sent a current spike to the ECU which made it think it sucked in a huge amount of air which would cause the engine to compensate and by giving less fuel and then end up with a misfire but no code because it was compensating for the "amount of air" which was actually a snow flake.

I decided to try it and IT WORKED!!!! WHOOHOOOO!!! When I took out my old air filter, it turns out it had a faulty seal (seals were worn and destroyed) which caused the snowflakes to enter whenever it snowed! My car drove like a beast last night in the snow and no bucking of the engine yet! Luckily, it snowed enough last night and the road conditions would have definitely caused the engine bucking but it didn't after replacement! So, I'm confident it's fixed from what I've seen last night, only time and more snow will tell but for now it seems to be fixed. It's only taken me two years to figure out what's going on with this problem. I will update if the problem comes back, hopefully it doesn't!

EdBwoy

*I edited your posts to try and make your quoted work pop out more. Thank you for following up and doing the research.

The fact that the RPMs don't change threw me for a loop, but it seems you're going to get some results plenty soon.

Good thing you live in that cold state and you have plenty of snowy days to test out the fix.

nicholestorms

I appreciate your help very much! I was at my wits end for awhile trying to explain and figure this out. I will change the filter this week and post an update so if someone else finds themselves in the same situation they can get help from this post.

mattd860

Nicolestorms- any closure to your problem? Does your car have the intelligent cruise control with the radar in the front bumper? The may be the cause of your problem when driving in snow. Even if the cruise control is off the radar may still be able to send faulty signals to the abs braking system. Let us know if your car is equipped with the radar.

roosmom34
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder

Fingers Crossed! Thankful for this thread. Just replaced my air filter after reading. Hope it solves these same issues. I've been trying to explain to my mechanic and failing miserably. 2004 Pathfinder. Only happens with blowing snow. No lights, no rpm change. No code. Just a super quick and random jerk, hesitation, buck, loss of power, drag, or something in blowing snow. So hope this solves the issue. 5-8 inches of snow forecast for Sunday.

EdBwoy

roosmom34 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:48 pm
...5-8 inches of snow forecast for Sunday.
I will do a snow dance for you (to the untrained eye, it could be confused for a rain dance), to make sure you get a good thick amount accompanied by wind for testing purposes.
Please let us know if that fixes the issues

lcav
Car: Nissan Rogue

Hi - did changing the filter resolve this problem for you?! I have the exact same issue with my 2013 Nissan Rogue!

lcav
Car: Nissan Rogue

FYI - I changed my air filter and it worked!! I've driven numerous times in the snow now and no jerking. Hope this can help someone else with the same problem!!

EdBwoy

lcav wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:39 am
FYI - I changed my air filter and it worked!! I've driven numerous times in the snow now and no jerking. Hope this can help someone else with the same problem!!
Thank you very much for the update, sincerely. It will sure help someone else either get to or eliminate possible causes faster.

Out of curiosity, how did you land on this post, through Google?
I am asking to see how we can make this more widely visible since it's likely a universal issue.

davewebbav
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x

I have a 2011m37x and this happens to be too. Only when snow is falling and I am driving at a slight incline, up a freeway ramp or small hill. Roads aren't slick.My car feels like the transmission just dropped out the bottom and it doesn't stop till I pull over and turn my car off, wait a minute and then turn it back on. I just ordered new air filters and I hope this works. My traction control light comes on when this happens, I have tried turning it off but the problem still happens.

After it happens the car won't accelerate at all I have to pull over on the freeway and turn it off.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Several Nissan models have had snow ingestion issues simply because of the way the intakes were constructed. The engine takes in about 9000 gallons of air for every gallon of fuel, so with models having cold air induction underneath the hood ledge, it only takes a piece of foam in the wrong place to accumulate enough snow to smother it. Turning the engine off for a few minutes lets engine heat melt the offending snow dam and the problem literally evaporates. Next time it happens, lift the hood with the engine still running and see if anything is obvious around the intake(s).

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”