Car and Driver review of 9 SUV/CUVs including Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
EZ300
Car: '08 Rogue S AWD

Very nice read!

check out the test sheet for the Rogue.

The Rogue beat all other in the following:0-600-10050-70Rolling 5-60Quarter mile

http://www.caranddriver.com/co...l=186

BrianV
Car: 07 G35S 6MT, 02 MDX-T AWD

Good read. I'm curious why the CX7 wasn't included. Also, they picked 4 bangers in some cars and V6s in others, and some cars had both available yet they chose the V6s on some and not on others. Finally, I wasn't aware the Mitsu Outlander was available with a V6 anymore; I can't find it on their web site.

Palmateer
Car: 2011 Ford Mustang V6 premium convertible

This was previously discussed in a thread started way back at Christmas time:

zerothread/301277

elee532

Palmateer wrote:This was previously discussed in a thread started way back at Christmas time:

zerothread/301277
I followed that link and couldn't find any discussion of why the cx-7 wasn't included?

phantom of the opera
Car: 2008 Venom Red

elee532 wrote:
I followed that link and couldn't find any discussion of why the cx-7 wasn't included?
It does say that they tried to keep the price as close as possible to 25 K. That may have caused problems for the CX-7 and certainly the rest of the Mazda line is way out of that range. Or maybe they just had enough vehicles and were ready to declare the RAV-4 the winner.

BrianV

phantom of the opera wrote:
It does say that they tried to keep the price as close as possible to 25 K. That may have caused problems for the CX-7 and certainly the rest of the Mazda line is way out of that range. Or maybe they just had enough vehicles and were ready to declare the RAV-4 the winner.
I'm pretty sure a CX7 can be had for ~$25k.

Cristen
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD - Venetian Red

elee532 wrote:
I think palmateer just meant that this same topic (car and driver top 9) was already started in another thread, not that the CX 7 was discussed.

EddNog
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I think the CX-7 was too big for this comparison; it probably competes more with Highlander/Pilot/Murano.

-Ed

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

Edd,I think the CX7 should have been included. I drove one before getting the Rogue. The premium gas requirement turned us off. The size is just a tad igger than the Rogue. I think the CX9 fits the Murano size better. The CX7 was definitely a sporter! Zoom....Zoom.

EddNog

So CX7 is more like Highlander/Murano and CX9 is more like Pilot, you mean?

-Ed

BrianV

The Rogue is smaller than the CRV and Rav4. The CX7 is closer in size with the CRV and Rav4 and is definitely not the size of a Murano.

The new Highlanders are HUGE, way bigger than even a Honda Pilot.

cdmuile

When we had to replace our CRV, I drove the following vehicles: New CRV, Ford Escape, Mariner, Rav4, Mitsu Outlander, Hyundai Tucson, CX7 and the Rogue. Making a chart and comparing all the vehicles we found all eight to be in our ballpark. We eliminated them from our list one by one for various reasons. Price was not a prime consideration. I think the CX7 was properly included on our list. The CX9 is really big. Having seen the two side by side, I would the 9 is about the size of an Explorer or Pilot. I didn't do any measurements or comparisons because we didn't want anything that big. Just an opinion. After 2 months my wife loves her Rogue.

BrianV

Why did you choose the Rogue and why did you exclude the other cars? If it weren't for the premium and lousy gas mileage, the CX-7 is a nice vehicle. My only other concern with it would be the less than stellar Mazda resale, and my previous experience with a Mazda was not that great.

It's unfortunate, but I won't even consider looking at the Escape, Equinox, Vue, etc. because of the resale issue. I want to like American cars, but short of a few that hold their value (like the Vette and full size trucks), I just can't make the plunge. The Escape Hybrid is a great vehicle, but it's resale will likely stink.

I've had several Nissan products and they've held their value exceptionally well as have my Toyota and Nissan products. Those three manufacturers hold their value well and that really makes us deciding to go another brand difficult.

EddNog

BrianV wrote:Why did you choose the Rogue and why did you exclude the other cars? If it weren't for the premium and lousy gas mileage, the CX-7 is a nice vehicle. My only other concern with it would be the less than stellar Mazda resale, and my previous experience with a Mazda was not that great.

It's unfortunate, but I won't even consider looking at the Escape, Equinox, Vue, etc. because of the resale issue. I want to like American cars, but short of a few that hold their value (like the Vette and full size trucks), I just can't make the plunge. The Escape Hybrid is a great vehicle, but it's resale will likely stink.

I've had several Nissan products and they've held their value exceptionally well as have my Toyota and Nissan products. Those three manufacturers hold their value well and that really makes us deciding to go another brand difficult.
Do you mean Nissan, Toyota and Honda?

-Ed

BrianV

Yeah, but Nissans have been the most reliable of the bunch.

cdmuile

I wish I hadn't thrown away my comparison chart with notes! Everyone seems to ask why I would pick a brand new first year model of anything. As I recall, Here's why we ended up with the Roguer: CRV---Just seemed big and clumsier than our "04. Also missed the spare on the tailgate. Escape---Inexcusible that Ford omitted rear disc brakes. The hybrid was the noisiest car I've ever driven. Mariner--- A step up from the Escape, but still reeked of cheapness. RAV4---Came down to this car and the Rogurer. Didn't like the tailgate opening and Toyota's recent Auto tranny problems. Outlander---Styling was one factor. The roof rails looked too industrial/heavy duty. And, my wife noticed right away the lack of lighting on the vanity mirrors. Tucson---We drive S.Korea's best kept secret...The Hyundai Azera(a luxury car for thirty grand), so I really wanted the Tucson. My wife said "It looks like a pouting frog". And she's right. Hence the Rogue.....Handling extroidineer!

elee532

I recently test drove a Rogue and CX-7 (among some others). I generally liked the Rogue better, but the CX-7 seemed so much quiter, especially on acceleration. Now, it was below zero weather and the the Rogue was never warmed up befor I took it for a short test drive. The salesman did mention (unprompted) that the car would be quieter once warmed up. How have others who test drove both felt about this?

Return to “Rogue Forum”