Cannot Remove Emergency Key

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
kimbill

The car, a G37, 2011, would not start -- dead. Frantically tried to start with emergency key (in fob). Battery was dead. Now the key is stuck in the key slot, pressing start to withdraw did nothing......... What say yee?

Bill
G37,'11, Coupe
'71 Karmann Ghia Coupe

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Call AAA

Telcoman

kimbill

The car still functions: Key remins stuck, and fob works -- long distance to Infiniti........Otherwie, a great car, never Ben back to dealer for anything, about 55k mi.

13_SkylineSedan
Car: 2x 2013 G37 sedan 2WD-7AT (his and hers)

Wait, you mean the mechanical key which you can pull out of the fob? That's only for opening the driver's door & glove box (and trunk if there's a cylinder). That spot to the left of the steering column is meant for the entire fob when the fob's battery has died. The car can scan the chip there even if the fob is dead. Make sense?

veery
Car: 06 M35x Umbria Grey

I think the mechanical key is in a lock, and the fob in the slot, no?

kimbill

13_SkylineSedan wrote:Wait, you mean the mechanical key which you can pull out of the fob? That's only for opening the driver's door & glove box (and trunk if there's a cylinder). That spot to the left of the steering column is meant for the entire fob when the fob's battery has died. The car can scan the chip there even if the fob is dead. Make sense?
------------------- --------------- ---------------

Holy &$@?(()/, now I've done it! That' s exactly what I did, the door key is in the slot to the lower-left of the steering wheel! When I saw the hundreds of pages in the Owners Manual, I knew I was headed for trouble -- our antique Karmen Ghia is so simple, like the owner.... :frown:

Bill

13_SkylineSedan
Car: 2x 2013 G37 sedan 2WD-7AT (his and hers)

Well alright then! You know, as long as your fob allows you to lock the doors, and neither the car's battery nor the fob's battery dies, you're OK. I mean, poke your fingers or a long-nose pliers in there and try to recover that mechanical key, but in the meantime the car should operate normally. Just don't leave the door unlocked or anybody could start the car and drive off.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

kimbill wrote:
13_SkylineSedan wrote:Wait, you mean the mechanical key which you can pull out of the fob? That's only for opening the driver's door & glove box (and trunk if there's a cylinder). That spot to the left of the steering column is meant for the entire fob when the fob's battery has died. The car can scan the chip there even if the fob is dead. Make sense?
------------------- --------------- ---------------

Holy &$@?(()/, now I've done it! That' s exactly what I did, the door key is in the slot to the lower-left of the steering wheel! When I saw the hundreds of pages in the Owners Manual, I knew I was headed for trouble -- our antique Karmen Ghia is so simple, like the owner.... :frown:

Bill
Not sure if this will work but try a stiff piece of wire such as a #6 solid ground wire with a flashlight to try and move the key to where you can grab it with a pair of long nose pliers.

Good luck

Telcoman

kimbill

Went to lunch with our son and daughter in-law, they had a good laugh at my key screw up story. The lunch was excellent, and no one used the word "stupid" . After, in the parking lot, our son, sitting on the door sill, examined the key situation, jiggled the key , and yanked it out. Holy &$@//#€, what have you done?....... But the car started, and everything worked as Infiniti had intended....... Hope I don't screw up replacing the calipers in the Karmann Ghia. Now that I've been exposed, I'll have to sign off as Grandpa Bill.

Thanks everyone, Grandpa Bill

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Yeah, SOP if the FOB is dead is to pull the key and open the door. Put the key back in the FOB and put the FOB in the slot. When you get home replace the battery :)

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”