Canadian Skyline GTR sellers question.

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
cdn_bmxer

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what if any differences there are for you guys importing a Skyline into the US that is currently registered in Canada? British Columbia to be exact.

I own a November production 1989 BNR32 , which I imported/landed in Jan 2007 from Japan.
I'm seriously considering selling the car though & if I do I would like to be properly prepared/educated on all paperwork required so that if someone from the USA purchases my car that they have no headaches in bringing the car into the USA.

I am familiar with the 25 year rule as it is similar to our Canadian 15 year rule , So I know my car can not be imported legally until November 2014. As I stated my car is registered in the Province of British Columbia (our version of title) & I still have all my paperwork from when I imported it from Japan. Like I said , I'd just like to have all my Ducks in a row.

Thanks in advance for your input & information.

Jason

cdn_bmxer

Hey again guys,

Well I guess from the lack of replies there is not much out of the ordinary for someone to import a vehicle into the US that is already in Canada. Not like there is any rush anyway as my car is not legal until Nov 2014.

It's been put into hibernation anyway as it has been every winter since being in Canada. Not like I need to use it as its my 3rd vehicle & my JDM Subaru STI RA is my all weather play vehicle.

If I do decide to sell I'll post up a very detailed add for my very lightly modified , original paint , sub 100000km GTR at a later date.

Cheers

http://s143.photobucket.com/user/wesson ... sort=3&o=0

nismo1118
Car: Jetta GLI
Ducati Monster S2R1000

Did you read through this thread?

1989-r32-gt-r-october-2014-importation- ... 96-30.html

It's not very long and I think Sean (tyndago) made some comments about importing from Canada.

VandrelSOUSA

If you are going to sell your car just don't be a sleezbag and try to make bank off of it :) There's already quite a bit of chatter around GTRCadanada of people expecting to make tons of profit from selling their rusty cars to "dumb Americans".

Deavastation
Car: 1991 Audi 200 20V Turbo
1984 BMW 533i

WANT: Nissan Skyline GTR R32

I'd be interested to see what you have for sale! Shoot me some emails with information on the car. If I could get one from Canada I'd do that over getting it from Japan or UK.

[email protected]

Deavastation
Car: 1991 Audi 200 20V Turbo
1984 BMW 533i

WANT: Nissan Skyline GTR R32

VandrelSOUSA wrote:If you are going to sell your car just don't be a sleezbag and try to make bank off of it :) There's already quite a bit of chatter around GTRCadanada of people expecting to make tons of profit from selling their rusty cars to "dumb Americans".

Hear ya there. I don't plan to touch anything with rust on it. The crowd that is interested in the old Skylines aren't necessarily the uber rich people, but the middle class people. Middle class Americans aren't about to spend too much on a 1989 unless it's really low mileage and completely stock. Which as far as I know, those don't really exist anymore lol.

cdn_bmxer

Nismo1118 ,I got your PM but can't reply due to being a new member on this board & lack of posts.

As for the posts related to price , I really was going to see what the market was like. I've read posts before on this board regard Canadian cars before I joined & you guys are correct. There are some very "Junky" & worn out cars in Canada. But you also get what you pay for. When I bought my GTR I searched for almost a year until I found one that I found comfortable in taking the risk of sending a considerable amount of money to Japan. Then I had to wait 4 months to see if I didn't get burned, as RO/RO was backed up at the time. I actually eventually had it container shipped.

I knew when I bought my car what kind of cars were being brought in by many importers for resale & had an Idea of what a clean one was worth in Japan. When I found my car I was given hundreds of detailed pic's by the exporter ( which I still have archived in my email account) before I sent 1 penny & to be quite honest I paid a premium for my car at the time. This though was worth every penny. As I have seen may people who have tried to buy cheap & get badly burnt with either mechanical issues or rust or both...

My car was very lightly modified when it arrived & while I have added a few mods they are all basic bolt ons. Other than that I have just kept up on the repair & maintenance of the car.
As for rust , my car has never seen a winter in Canada even though I live in Vancouver & we never really get snow. It has garage kept it's entire time here. My car is a clean example of a 25 year old car with original paint with its flaws showing . It's not perfect as it has some rock chips & key scratches in the paint. It also has a few parking lot dings. Most of which it arrived with from Japan & if you look for some rust on a bolt or subframe there maybe a touch of surface here or there. But it has no cancer. Part of the reason I have never painted it is so it has nothing to hide.

I'm be happy to post/email way more info on my car if you guys would like.

If you'd like, start by searching monkys inc & look in sold cars if their site is still up. You can match the photo's to my photobucket. Look for "1 owner , ^67000km"

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Deavastation wrote:
VandrelSOUSA wrote:If you are going to sell your car just don't be a sleezbag and try to make bank off of it :) There's already quite a bit of chatter around GTRCadanada of people expecting to make tons of profit from selling their rusty cars to "dumb Americans".

Hear ya there. I don't plan to touch anything with rust on it. The crowd that is interested in the old Skylines aren't necessarily the uber rich people, but the middle class people. Middle class Americans aren't about to spend too much on a 1989 unless it's really low mileage and completely stock. Which as far as I know, those don't really exist anymore lol.
Do you know someone with lots of money looking for a really low milage completely stock R32? The one I know of is a 1990 and it only has 19,000km on the odometer. And it's also eligible to be imported under the show or display clause.

GT-RII
Car: Hakosuka

cdn_bmxer wrote:Nismo1118 ,I got your PM but can't reply due to being a new member on this board & lack of posts.

As for the posts related to price , I really was going to see what the market was like. I've read posts before on this board regard Canadian cars before I joined & you guys are correct. There are some very "Junky" & worn out cars in Canada. But you also get what you pay for. When I bought my GTR I searched for almost a year until I found one that I found comfortable in taking the risk of sending a considerable amount of money to Japan. Then I had to wait 4 months to see if I didn't get burned, as RO/RO was backed up at the time. I actually eventually had it container shipped.

I knew when I bought my car what kind of cars were being brought in by many importers for resale & had an Idea of what a clean one was worth in Japan. When I found my car I was given hundreds of detailed pic's by the exporter ( which I still have archived in my email account) before I sent 1 penny & to be quite honest I paid a premium for my car at the time. This though was worth every penny. As I have seen may people who have tried to buy cheap & get badly burnt with either mechanical issues or rust or both...

My car was very lightly modified when it arrived & while I have added a few mods they are all basic bolt ons. Other than that I have just kept up on the repair & maintenance of the car.
As for rust , my car has never seen a winter in Canada even though I live in Vancouver & we never really get snow. It has garage kept it's entire time here. My car is a clean example of a 25 year old car with original paint with its flaws showing . It's not perfect as it has some rock chips & key scratches in the paint. It also has a few parking lot dings. Most of which it arrived with from Japan & if you look for some rust on a bolt or subframe there maybe a touch of surface here or there. But it has no cancer. Part of the reason I have never painted it is so it has nothing to hide.

I'm be happy to post/email way more info on my car if you guys would like.

If you'd like, start by searching monkys inc & look in sold cars if their site is still up. You can match the photo's to my photobucket. Look for "1 owner , ^67000km"
Sounds like the 32 I've been looking for, are you seriously interested in selling? Located in BC and would love to put this in another good home. I am a mature adult who's been into three-twos, and three-twos only, wayyyy before there was any thought of a Fast and Furious movie haha. This car would be in good hands. Left you a message on Photobucket.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear back.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Gold Digger wrote:Do you know someone with lots of money looking for a really low milage completely stock R32? The one I know of is a 1990 and it only has 19,000km on the odometer. And it's also eligible to be imported under the show or display clause.
What's "lots of money" ?

I think a PM is in order. :)

cdn_bmxer

GT-RII wrote:
cdn_bmxer wrote:
Sounds like the 32 I've been looking for, are you seriously interested in selling? Located in BC and would love to put this in another good home. I am a mature adult who's been into three-twos, and three-twos only, wayyyy before there was any thought of a Fast and Furious movie haha. This car would be in good hands. Left you a message on Photobucket.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear back.
I got your message on Photobucket, email has been sent. Cheers.

r32d2
Car: 1990 BNR-32 Skyline GT-R

Thought I'd put up my 2 cents worth here. Canadians are NOT the only ones out to make a buck on the sale of their much loved R32s. When I put my 1990 GTR up on Ebay, It was the US Importers that were bidding up the price. Since I pulled it out of the auction, I have heard from several other of our" American Brothers" who are stockpiling these cars. One told me that 2014 and 2015 were going to be very good years for him. He said he had bought 8 of them when they were cheap. He is in Michigan.I expressed to him I wanted to sell my car to a private individual, so it would not just be flipped in order to line some guys pocket with greenbacks. I've looked into importing another R32 from Japan, and have been told any R32s that come up for sale at most dealers and all of the auction houses, are going to held in reserve for Americans. You have guys like Sean Morris to thank for this.
So, here is some advice. If you plan on buying, don't wait. The prices will go up. DO NOT BUY a Car from ALBERTA!!!!! You will most definitely get a rusty piece of crap. Cars from any where East of British Columbia could be rusty. It's a fact of life in the Great White North. However, BC cars , if are bought from Vancouver Island or the Lower Mainland( higher Mileage) are mostly very clean , rust free cars, as it rarely snows here, and we don't drive our nice cars in bad weather anyways.
The car I sold was in very good condition, and the new owner has communicated to me on several occasions on how pleased he is with his GTR. I sent him many photos and he come up and inspected it on my hoist. He knew he was getting exactly what was advertised, unlike the cars he saw in Alberta. He wasted two flights up to Calgary where he was sure the cars he was there to see where not the same as the cars he had been sent pictures of. That said, I will soon have another 1990 up for sale. EXCELLENT condition, Black Pearl Metalic, all original except for a new muffler. This is one for the SHOW!!! No text messages please.

tyndago

r32d2 wrote:an, and have been told any R32s that come up for sale at most dealers and all of the auction houses, are going to held in reserve for Americans. You have guys like Sean Morris to thank for this.So, here is some advice. If you plan on buying, don't wait. .
You have me to thank for what?

That I have been working on these cars for 15 years?

That I am more passionate about them than any 5 people you know?

tyndago

Special reply.

r32d2
Car: 1990 BNR-32 Skyline GT-R

Yup! That picture says it all. Screw everyone. It's pretty clear you are trying to buy up all the Nismo cars, so you can control the prices people will have to pay. Also trying to buy up any 1989 model GT-Rs. Thanks for showing your true colors!!
I'd avoid Sean AKA TYNDAGO like he had the plague. Let him sit on his stock pile of R32's for a couple more years for punishment in his role with MOTOREX!!

cdn_bmxer

Ummmmm.........Okay.

Very interesting way to bump my thread. Either way I haven't even tried to sell my car yet.

To those people who have contacted me about the car expressing interest or giving me advice , thank you.
As our mild Vancouver is now coming to an end I plan on putting some insurance on my car & taking it for a drive rather soon. While I'm at it I will take some detailed photos & make a walk around video to show anyone who maybe interested in the car exactly what they would be getting.

Cheers Dudes

tyndago

r32d2 wrote:Yup! That picture says it all. Screw everyone. It's pretty clear you are trying to buy up all the Nismo cars, so you can control the prices people will have to pay. Also trying to buy up any 1989 model GT-Rs. Thanks for showing your true colors!!
I'd avoid Sean AKA TYNDAGO like he had the plague. Let him sit on his stock pile of R32's for a couple more years for punishment in his role with MOTOREX!!
You wouldn't even know what a GT-R was without MotoRex. Punish me because at some point in time, for 3 years, I made it possible for people in the US to own a Nissan Skyline?

It's not screw everyone. Its screw people like you that are ignorant.

Tell me who is the one that got Show or Display approval on the NISMO? http://www.showordisplay.com/2012/12/19 ... -gt-r.html

Why is there a Nissan Skyline GT-R on the list of approval vehicles for entry into the US? VCP 32? http://www.importavehicle.info/2011/01/ ... issan.html

People like you are so ignorant, with your head so far up your own a**, that you will never get that.

So yes, this picture is for you.

GTRPower

r32d2 wrote:Yup! That picture says it all. Screw everyone. It's pretty clear you are trying to buy up all the Nismo cars, so you can control the prices people will have to pay. Also trying to buy up any 1989 model GT-Rs. Thanks for showing your true colors!!
What a drama llama.

loopyR31
Car: 1988 R31

I don't know all the details about what happened with Motorex but I've read up on the VCP17 and VCP32 stuff. According to what others were saying, Motorex didn't actually convert their cars after they brought them in? Seems like the common thing people were saying about those cars is that they didn't get fitted with OBDII, but wouldn't that make them illegal?

tyndago

0-60 Magazine did an article several years ago. You can read it here:

http://skylinegt-r.wikidot.com/0-60mrex

tyndago

tyndago

How come this guy was trying to tell people they could import this regular GT-R as a "Show or Display" car. Who is screwing who?

If you want to throw s*** at me, you better have your ducks in a row, idiot.
I have a home shop with a hoist, and you or your agents are welcome to come and fully inspect this exceptionally clean driving machine. If you have any further questions, I’d be happy to answer them. For the successful bidder, I will do whatever I can to help you with the import process of having a U.S Customs Brokerage inspect the vehicle at a U.S. Port of Entry ( I’ve done this before), and with your shipping needs if necessary .This vehicle can be imported NOW for Show or Display uses, provided it is not driven more than 2,500 miles per year, or if it is used for off road/track racing only, until December 2014 when it can be licensed as a 25 year old vehicle. It is located close to Seattle Washington. There are three ferries that will get you here. I am a retired senior, and able to help with your transportation needs. Word on the forums is that the price of these cars will soon skyrocket, so it is also a sound investment.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

cdn_bmxer wrote:Ummmmm.........Okay.

Very interesting way to bump my thread. Either way I haven't even tried to sell my car yet.

To those people who have contacted me about the car expressing interest or giving me advice , thank you.
As our mild Vancouver is now coming to an end I plan on putting some insurance on my car & taking it for a drive rather soon. While I'm at it I will take some detailed photos & make a walk around video to show anyone who maybe interested in the car exactly what they would be getting.

Cheers Dudes
:wavey:

Don't forget your good buddy down here in the desert! :)

cdn_bmxer

AZhitman wrote:
:wavey:

Don't forget your good buddy down here in the desert! :)
Haha, thanks for lightening the mood in here. I thought from reading your fleet of cars you have a R32 GTR already?

AZhitman
Administrator

No sir... but I'm quite fond of that silver one. :)

AZhitman
Administrator

r32d2 wrote:When I put my 1990 GTR up on Ebay, It was the US Importers that were bidding up the price.
That's kinda the idea behind an auction.
r32d2 wrote:I have heard from several other of our "American Brothers" who are stockpiling these cars.
At the risk of sounding like a "rude American," so what?
r32d2 wrote:I expressed to him I wanted to sell my car to a private individual, so it would not just be flipped in order to line some guys pocket with greenbacks.
I'm not quite sure I comprehend this line of thinking. Sounds like a bit of a control issue.

Unless you're selling it for the same amount (or less) than you bought it for, you're "flipping" it as well for a profit. So what's the difference?

Is there some sort of "time limit" that makes someone an "owner" rather than a "flipper"?
r32d2 wrote: I've looked into importing another R32 from Japan, and have been told any R32s that come up for sale at most dealers and all of the auction houses, are going to held in reserve for Americans.
So, outbid them. There isn't a "socialized GT-R ownership" program that I know of.
r32d2 wrote:You have guys like Sean Morris to thank for this.
Or me. :poke:

See, you have no idea who's buying these cars. You're just lashing out at the only "public face" you know of.

Meanwhile, your "Canadian brothers" are buying up houses in my neighborhood and renting them out to deadbeat losers who think the US government owes them something.

This stuff works both ways, bud.

BTW, the rest of your advice is reasonably solid, although I'd have a hard time buying anything from the Great White North. We're spoiled down here in the arid desert, where cars simply do not rust - ever. :)

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

The translation is a little rough, but apparently JSP Trading Inc is considering legal action against r32d2.

AZhitman
Administrator

Yep.

BTW, I'm going to split this thread out later, since it got way off-topic. Jason's been around a while and deserves better.

GT-RII
Car: Hakosuka

tyndago wrote:Special reply.

Ignorance is bliss right? Perfect response hahaha. Although I've known about Skylines before I could even do math, I still consider you an OG and appreciate all you've done for those who are also passionate about these cars. It was also great to finally meet you at C&C last month, wish I had a chance to talk with you more as you were heading out. Should've woken up earlier hahaha.

Still on the hunt for my own 32. Wish my pops saved the vin info of the one he owned when stationed at Yakota. It would be awesome if I found the exact one!

kabob
Car: 1990 Skyline GTR R32

cdn_bmxer wrote:Hey again guys,

Well I guess from the lack of replies there is not much out of the ordinary for someone to import a vehicle into the US that is already in Canada. Not like there is any rush anyway as my car is not legal until Nov 2014.

It's been put into hibernation anyway as it has been every winter since being in Canada. Not like I need to use it as its my 3rd vehicle & my JDM Subaru STI RA is my all weather play vehicle.

If I do decide to sell I'll post up a very detailed add for my very lightly modified , original paint , sub 100000km GTR at a later date.

Cheers

http://s143.photobucket.com/user/wesson ... sort=3&o=0
Sorry no one has answered your question precisely. Here's what US Customs and Border Protection emailed me directly:
To import a (compliant) vehicle, an entry must be filed with CBP. To do this, you should declare the vehicle to a CBP officer when it first arrives in the U.S. (assuming you are driving the car through a land border). At that time, you will also need to present a completed EPA Form 3520-1 (http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/documents/3520-1.pdf) and DOT form HS-7 (http://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/hs799short.pdf) and the manufacturer's letter if necessary. You will receive the entry summary document CBP Form 7501 from CBP. This form is needed to register the car in your state of residence.

The importer is required to pay 2.5% duty, which is assessed based on the purchase price or blue book value. Duty is not assessed on U.S. manufactured vehicles. CBP may seize a non U.S. version vehicle falsely declared as a U.S. version.

If the vehicle is at least 21 years old, there are no EPA compliance requirements upon importation.

If the vehicle is 25 years old or more, it does not have to comply with the DOT's Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) to be imported permanently. The age of the vehicle is determined by subtracting the calendar year of manufacture from the calendar year of importation.

If the calendar year of manufacture is unavailable, the importer may substitute the model year or year of first registration. For instance, to qualify in 2003 for avoiding EPA requirements, the vehicle must have been manufactured in 1982 or earlier; for avoiding DOT as well as EPA requirements, the vehicle must have been manufactured in 1978. To import a classic car, no approval from EPA is required, nor must the importer post a Customs bond. The importer must demonstrate to CBP the vehicle or engine was manufactured prior to the qualifying date. Documents such as a title or letter from the original manufacturer may be used for this purpose.
To wit, you only need:

Customs Entry Summary forms filled out at the border by CBP
-Form 7501 - Entry Summary
-Form 3461 - Entry/Immediate Delivery Document

What you need in hand:
-DOT Form HS-7 with box 1 checked (to indicate it's over 25 years old and exempt from FMVSS)
-EPA Form 3520-1 with "code E" under exemptions checked (to indicate over 21 years old)
-Canadian title and/or Export/Deregistration Certificate (including original Japanese title and a translated copy)
-Bill of Sale
-Pay 2.5% customs duty to CBP

And that's it. The paperwork hassle is mostly with cars being shipped to a port via cargo ship from a foreign country.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”