Can I hook up an iPod to my 2006 M35?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
kookybeez
Car: 06-Infiniti M35 X

I have seen a couple posts on iPod stuff but didnt see anything that answered this question.....Can I hook up an iPod to my 06 M35? I prefer it to interface on the nav screen...but that's prob a long shot. I have the technology and journey packages. not sure if that info is helpful. I dont want the cheesy tape adaptor or any visible equipment.If you can help me, I would be eternally gratefulThanks,Nick

Indy Golfer
Car: 2006 M45 Sport

Do you have the A/V jacks in the back of your console? If so, you can run it through there and it sounds pretty good, much better than a FM transmitter.

There are ways to integrate it, but I think they are rather costly.

striz923
Car: 2006 M35x

There is no direct hookup that I have read about. One of the packages has a Aux jack in the back seat on the armrest that you can plug in, but you still have to use the Ipod to do everything as well as find a way to hide the wire. Good luck

kookybeez

It makes sense to use those jacks behind the console. Easy and fast. THANKS!!

striz923

no prob. The next question you will probably post is how to get the radio to go to Aux lol. That always seems to be the next question posted. On the steering wheel the source button will eventually make it come up. Make sure you have the Ipod volume up also, that comes up occasionally also.

kookybeez

HA. Dude that's awesome. That is exactly what happened. I hooked up the aux cable and, at first, didn't get the ipod playing through. I scrolled through the source button and didnt see it but I finally found it when I pushed disc (there was no dvd inside). An option popped up on my screen and I pushed ok....and I had ipod. Can I get the iPod recognzied by the source button on my wheel? Maybe it takes a couple minutes?

striz923

I haven't used mine in a while, but I remember it "recognizing" it immediately. Just had to push it a couple of times to get to the right input.

jpozzi
Car: 2006 M35X

kookybeez

What did you use to connect to the A/V jack? And if u don't mind, would you please describe how you found the aux playback on the system?

Thanks.

sdkhalsa
Car: 94 Q45 06 M35

If there are no aux jacks on the back of the center console, is there wiring inside the console that you can tap into to create your own aux jacks?

jpozzi

I have the same A/V jacks behind the console that kookybeez mentioned. Apparently, that worked for him, but I'm not sure what he used to connect to them . . .basic aux input cable for Ipod?

kookybeez

Hey Guys...Sorry for the delayed responseI used very basic RCA to headphone hookup.

As I understand it...when you use the jacks behind ur console u can choose between 2 types of cables.

1 is a basic RCA cable to head phone. Amazon: 3.5MM to Stereo RCA cable is $2. This one goes where your headphones would plug in.

The other is a RCA stereo to Ipod dock connector cable. It uses the RCA on 1 end but the other end hooks up to where u charge your iPod. I was told that you can charge your iPod with this cable (i saw it from $15-$40)

There was no sound at first. I scrolled through the Source button a couple times and found it. If you have the DVD player....you may need to push the Disc button on ur radio and then select the option that says "TEXT" or something like that.

A tip that I found helpful...Turn the IPod on FIRST, than start looking for it in the radio. Sounds silly, but it could be playing and you may not be able to hear it. Read earlier posts in this thread for more details on "finding it" once it's hooked up.

Good luck. Let me know how you make out.

jpozzi

Thanks for the response. I think what I have been using in my MDX will work then. Here's a bestbuy link to the same:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ol...33701

I'll give it a try and let you know.

Thanks again.

JP

kookybeez

I found something similar at Radio Shack for 39.99. I have always found Radio Shack to be cheaper....in price and quality. It might be worth the extra $$ to get it from BB. I get lots of this stuff on Amazon too.

Makman

Actually, you can hook up directly hardwired without using the AUX jacks. Most of the M series cars have satellite radio pre-wired. If so, there's a post here that shows a connection to the G35. The M35 is very similar with a few exceptions. The pre-wired hookup is in the trunk.

Call your local NISSAN dealer and ask for the iPod Integration kit and a wiring harness. If you have the satellite radio installed you need both harnesses. Expect to pay about $200-$225. I could go through the install but it's already been done. Do a search on the G35 forum.

You have to keep a couple things in mind. The M35 satellite harness is tied up in the roof of the trunk. You have to pull out both the rear seat deck and rear seat backs because there's no easy fishing point from the trunk to the cabin. You do not have to take apart the center console. Carefully pull the back panel of the center console. It pops out and in quite easily.

Make sure you remove the ground cable on the battery. You don't want to short out the entertainment system.

Expect to take a couple of hours for the install. Once I got everything apart it was quick and painless.

The sound is awesome.

Makman
kookybeez wrote:I have seen a couple posts on iPod stuff but didnt see anything that answered this question.....Can I hook up an iPod to my 06 M35? I prefer it to interface on the nav screen...but that's prob a long shot. I have the technology and journey packages. not sure if that info is helpful. I dont want the cheesy tape adaptor or any visible equipment.If you can help me, I would be eternally gratefulThanks,Nick

LLJes1
Car: '06 Graphite M35X

I went the route of factory integration. Works well, each song is recognized as an XM station. Charges Ipod while reading it. Only issue I have is every once in a while when changing songs, it will replay the same song you're currently on.

Makman, there is actually small holes that you can open up a little more towards the bottom of the trunk interior, looks like a 4x4 of metal w/small holes drilled in to it. It will fish right underneath the bottom of the backseat, so all you have to remove is the bottom cushion of the backseat.

fridgeymonster3

LLJes1 wrote:I went the route of factory integration. Works well, each song is recognized as an XM station. Charges Ipod while reading it. Only issue I have is every once in a while when changing songs, it will replay the same song you're currently on.
So you did this on a 2006? Did the iPod intergration replace the XM or do both still work? Can you control the iPod playback at all through the Infiniti controls? Also, did you get a dealer to install this? If you don't mind can you give me a ballpark of how much it cost?

LLJes1
Car: '06 Graphite M35X

Fridgey, I have an '06 w/tech package. Both will still work, but if your Ipod is connected, it will override XM/Sirius signal. So if you have the module for either satellite radio and you want to listen to it, you just have to disconnect your Ipod. The Ipod plug was run in to the armrest, entering on the passenger side rear of the inside of the armrest.

Controls are okay, I recommend making some playlists. The only thing I am not happy with is it won't play "Random". And you knkow how you can play "All", whether artists or songs or any category? Well, for whatever reason in the programming, the interface doesn't recognize the "All" option. You have to use the "Tune/Folder" button to change tracks. Other than that, it works really well and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Cost - I am honestly not sure how much it would cost, I have a friend who is the asst service manager and he took care of it pretty well. I have heard it running anywhere from $300 to $500. I priced the parts at everythinginfiniti.com and the main harness was ballpark $147, the two other harnesses were $30 I believe. I have worked in aftermarket for car customization and electronics, there are a lot of subpar and "cheap" systems out there. This is neither of the two, it does cost more than most systems available.

So for what it's worth and not dealing with an aftermarket system, I am very happy with it, my two pennies worth of worthless knowledge! If you decide to do it, I would love to hear what your feedback is on the operation.

rpm
Car: Infiniti M35 2006

I did the A/V connection from the back seat inputs to an ipod connector. Works great however, I got to figure a way to hide the wires. It looks like you might be able to drill a small hole in the center console and route the wires down to the A/V connection. Has anyone tried something like this and, do you have instructions on what you did? It looks like the liner in the center console could come off pretty easy.

Scruff
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35x AWD

I think I'm going to go the RCA cable through the auxiliary behind the console as well.

Is there a cable that does RCA and charges the iPhone as well? I'm picturing a 3 prong cable with cigarette lighter, RCA and iPhone connections. Is this even possible? I'm not an electronics guru.

rpm

Yes - this is possible. I went to an Apple store and got something. It has a standard Apple connector on one end that plugs into the bottom of your ipod. On the other end, it has left/right audio RCA jack as well as a video jack. It also has a USB type connection that you can plug into a cigarette lighter adapter that accepts a USB connection. Sounds complicated but it isnt.

Let me know if you find anything on how to route this under or into the center console. Right now i have this long wire haphazardly running from the back of the ocnsole to the cup holder in by my right leg. Not very appealing to look at

Scruff

Thanks rpm.

I checked the Apple store online and couldn't find this - their search engine is pretty rough, I tried things like "iPhone RCA video" and all I got was what I'm linking below. I will try to get to a brick and mortar Apple store in the next day or two to look for what you mentioned. Do you have the actual part name?

Anyway, what I found got me thinking . . . what about something like this?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TN983LL/A

So, basically, use that to connect through the headphone jack to the aux ports, then just get a car charger and plug that into the cigarette lighter, right? Would the sound be degraded going through the headphone instead of the standard iPhone connection?

Another question is that I think the best place to mount it would be next to the passengers left leg and have it kind of hook back towards the center - is there any way to do this?

Thanks for your help.

kookybeez

I have been using a basic RCA cable in the center console for a couple months....good not great. The look of it is terrible. I have to drill into the console to hide the wire (not crazy about that). If I use the better cable (that plugs into bottom of iPod and charges) will I notice anything different about the function? Will it display the songs and titles on nav screen? Can I control iPod from dash (longshot)?

The other option is that $300 kit mentioned above. It sounds expensive, but it would look good and maxamize the functionality (using dash to control iPod ). I am visiting a local shop today for more info.

I'll post what I find.

Scruff

rpm - I think I found your cable, is this it?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129LL/B

Use that, and then get a USB to cigarette lighter cable like this one?

http://www.amazon.com/ZipLinq-...r_1_1

kookybeez - thanks for sharing any info you find. $300 seems a bit steep, but in the end I'd probably pull the trigger if that's the only option and the sound quality is significantly improved with a good dashboard interface.
Modified by Scruff at 2:07 PM 3/11/2009

rpm

Scruff- Yes that is the cable I got. I also just searched ebay and this looks to have the Audio and Video without the USB for A LOT cheaper. It also looks like it has a retractable cable which is real nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AV-CABLE-C...%3A50

The audio quality from this cable is great. However, when you are charging the ipod with the cigarette lighter / USB connection, the audio path picks up some interference and degrades the audio. I usually operate it without the power connected to the cigarette lighter. When i need a charge, i will plug it in.I dont like using the earphone jack as the audio source. THe main reason is that this creates two amplification paths to adjust volume. This dual amplification causes degradation and the need sometime to adjust the ipod volume and then the car stereo volume. Basically, you can use the ipod to increase the volume and then you can use the car stereo to adjust the volume. When you use the apple connector, it outputs unity gain so the car stereo is the only amplifcation.

What i dont like about the Apple cable is it is REALLY LONG. I mean I could pass the ipod to the car next to me and they can control the ipod. I am sure most people use this behind their tv or something and not from the rear of their automobile to the cup holder.

Also the cable is bright white ala Apple. My interior is black so it stands out like a sore thumb. Hence, my request to see how i can hide this somehow.

Scruff

I went to the Apple store today and bought the cable, so I have 7 days to return it if something better comes along.

I cannot plug the 'white' connector all the way in - I wonder if the previous owner somehow damaged the female portion? It goes about 2/3-3/4 of the way in - is that good enough? I tried to slide the balance all the way left and right and it sounded like maybe the left wasn't as loud/clear, but that may have just been me being paranoid about my new car being broken.

***EDIT: Definitely a defective cable, returned it to the store today. Car is fine. Whew.***

If charging it degrades the sound anyway I'm guessing maybe that $5 cable on eBay without the USB would be the better way to go.

I'd still like to find an integrated way to do it . . . I have the black interior too, and that white cable definitely is an eye sore.
Modified by Scruff at 8:24 PM 3/12/2009

showtyme17

Does anyone have the exact Nissan part numbers I need to get for my 2006 m35? That is for the direct integration.
Modified by showtyme17 at 10:38 AM 3/12/2009

COinfinitM45
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport

I bought a kit off of ebay ($129) for ipod intergration & to display track/artist names on the nav screen. It does that but its really hard to control & switch track/artists. I would rather just use the a/v connections from the rear console & control it through the ipod. I bought another cable ($15 w/ shipping) that connects to the bottom of the ipod & has a ground & red 12v wire so it will charge the ipod. The main reason I wanted an intergration system is for steering wheel controls. This kit did not change artists or tracks. I will be returning the ipod kit asap. Hope this helps someone!!

Mondo5
Car: 06' Infiniti M35X (Silver)

Hello, just wanted to know if you had navigation as well??? I had mine hooked up and was told that I can have either navigation and ipod or navigation and xm. Not all 3. So I lost the xm. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

showtyme17

I have navigation as well. The way it works is that you can have all 3 if installed properly. The catch is if you want to use your xm, you would just disconnect, the ipod cable from the ipod and use xm and if you want to use the ipod, you would just reconnect the cable. Not sure how they said your navigation would be affected by this, but mine isn't.

kookybeez

Showtyme....

How did you do the direct integration? Did you do yourself or install? What part is required to hook it up?

Thanks

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”