Cams and Head

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
rpg_dog

Hi, my name is Ryan, and I have a few questions about cams and stuff on my '93 240sx.1. How do i detach a broken cam from the gear, does it unscrew or what?2. Do JWT cams work well if i were to ever get a turbo?3. What is all this that i here about shims, do cams not go right in?4. When I get new cams, what all do i have to do before i can install them?5. Finally, how do I detach the lower timing chain, so that i can remove my head (trying to port & polish)?Please help, i have been trying to reasemble my engine, but i want to port & polish the head, and replace my cams before i do so.Thanks, Ryan.

Turbo_Nismo_EC
Car: My truck...of course

1.) don't know2.) No, the overlap makes them bad for boost..better to use stock cams3.) I don't think you have to shim them, but that is so the rockers roll smooth on the cam4.) Yes, new lifters if you motor has more than 50,000 miles on it.5.) don't know..I built a KA24E, not a KA24DE. My cam gear just bolts on to the cam.

Hope this helped

bruinbear714

1) You need to remove your rockers/lifters assembly. THere should be about 10 bolts holding it down to the head. After removing that, you should be able to remove the cams easily. Before you remove the assembly though, loosen the bolt that holds the sprocket to the cam.

2)don't know

3)shims are just to guide the rockers/lifters so they don't drift out of place.

4) Opposite of the way you removed your old cams, unless you dropped your timing chain in which case you have to remove the whole front of the engine.

5) You have to pull apart the front of the engine. EVERYTHING goes off.

rpg_dog

Well i still need to know how thw cam detaches from the cam gear itself, and i am curious if there are any aftermarket cams that would work well for both a NA then eventually a turbo??

technoman
Car: puss

nissmo cams work well for turbo. not to big not to small.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

the ideal cams for turbo have a very short duration and a nice amount of lift. from what ive heard, you shouldnt have too much lift or duration because of overlap of the valves. so a modest cam is best for turbo. If you were going to stay n/a, you can go crazy with the cams if you want, just remember that you lose a lot of low end torque and power when you have more intense cams...

bruinbear714

well if you open up your valve cover then it will become apparent as to how the cam attaches to the cam gear.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”