Buying a G37 advice please

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
infinitiG37curious

Hello guys,

I'm new here, but need some help. I am considering buying a G37 Sedan, 2010 with 50k miles on it. From a reputable dealer.

My problem is that I have heard mixed things about infinity's. I really like the car, but some people have told me that Infinities have given them so many problems and headaches.

In contrast, a couple of friends and my brother in law have infinities and love them with no issues.

I thought the best place to find out would be from you guys.

Any advice? Thank you in advance.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

I'm on my second Infiniti. Both purchased brand new from the same dealer. On my 06 G35 6sp I put almost 172k miles with only minor issues before trading it in at 171796 miles in August 2012 for my current 2012 G37S that currently has 34k miles. Only oil changes thus far with no problems.
Both vehicles were far superior to the many previous vehicles that I've owned including a 92 Lexus
I decided a long time ago that I would rather eat the depreciation on a brand new vehicle that comes with all new parts, no previous abuse and a warranty rather than take a chance buying a vehicle that may have not been well taken care of, been in an accident or flood and have to deal with a big headache.
Now there are many who have purchased used and had good luck and others who have gotten screwed.
So do your due delligence, be careful and good luck.

Telcoman

larsG35
Car: '04 G35 6MT sedan

The Infiniti brand has usually been at least a little above average based on 3rd party research (generally Consumer Reports), and the G35/37 are usually the most reliable cars under the Infiniti name in any given year.

That said, everything is a statistical bell-curve, and sometimes you can get a car with more problems than average. That's how we get to see the complaints from the vocal minority on the internet. No one complains/brags how average their car is!

Bought my G35 sedan used w/ ~123,000 on it. No issues after 9 months. It's not a particularly cheap car if things go wrong though. Even just the HID headlight replacement was $85 and took me an hour to replace it myself (it's quite the involved ordeal) because I wasn't going to pay my mechanic another $125 to do it. Should last at least 5 years though...

You're most likely to get a pretty reliable car (as long as the car fax, etc. doesn't show information to indicate otherwise).

I've been very happy with my decision.

Good luck,
Lars

infinitiG37curious

Thank you guys,

I bit the bullet and bought a 2011 G37 S with 30k miles on it. It's almost brand new. The previous owner really took care of it.

I've been driving it for half a day and I'm love. Could not be happier with my decision.

larsG35

Great choice!

Welcome to NICO!

Starter
Car: 13 G37X sedan
11 G37S sedan

You did well. Both my wife and I are very pleased with ours. 07 G35x auto sedan (hers) and 11 G37S 6sp sedan (mine). Bought both new. Zero problems with either of them.

Checkered Flag
Car: G37X 2009

The issue now..is what to do when we need to get new rides???

I am not a fan of the new design, and I see some bad reviews on their rides/mechanics. For me it looks like 2 1/2 to 3 years from now I'll be at 150,000 or so and definitely time to move on. I hope they fix their new ones, what M50s?

larsG35

I'm probably quite a few years away from having enough money to contemplate purchasing a different "upper-scale" car. The way I see it, I'll probably end up trying to find a '12 or '13 G37 with decently low miles (probably be 5 or 6 years old by that time). Then that will (hopefully) last me another 6 or 7 years before I actually have to make that tough decision.

Hell, by that time, the successor to the Q50 will probably be out and it will probably be way different again... assuming that in 10 or 11 years I've finally reached a point of financial security to consider buying a new car. :facepalm:

infinitiG37curious

Thank you for all the advice guys. I love my car. Now I want to tint the windows. Ant recommendations there? I'm in California.

littlefield
Car: 08 G37S coupe

Just brought home an 08 G37S, 6 spd coupe, 50K mile, really clean. How can anybody that likes to be engaged with their driving not get jazzed over a car like this.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Infiniti makes solid cars that are generally fun to drive, well equipped and relatively reliable. However, as a whole, I would say that Lexus and Acura builds a more refinded and reliable product. If you purchase a used Infiniti with low mileage and one thats been well maintained. You should be in good shape.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

seldomseen wrote:However, as a whole, I would say that Lexus and Acura builds a more refinded and reliable product.
IMO it depends on what your definition of "refined" and "reliable". Acura and Lexus both have their fair share of issues, but IMO they're "perceived" as more reliable.

For me, some people consider "refined" as "smoother, quieter, and more plush". I personally like my car a little rough around the edges.. I like to feel the road, be held into my seat, and hear the engine.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”