Buying a 2005 G35 Coupe A/T with mods... yay or nay?

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
tnobull
Car: 2005 Infiniti G35

Hey everyone. I'm looking at purchasing a 2005 G35 Coupe from a private seller. A/T with 90k miles. He had the 90k service done and mechanically it sounds decent, only minor concerns are typical wear and tear (paint, brakes, tires etc) Apparently the owner knows a lot about cars and had a few mods done to the vehicle. Here is what his list entails:

"Car has a pod filter and a Z tube

- Motordyne 5/16" Intake spacer

- HKS Replica Exhaust (True Dual 2.5" Cat Back)

- Car is lowered on 350z Tein S-Tech springs and 350z KYB Excel-G shocks

- Godspeed front and rear sway bars

- Pioneer 3500BHS
- Crescendo 6.5" midbass in the doors, and Polk Audio midbass in the rears
- 2 10" JL 10W1v2
- Alpine M500
- Sony 600w 4 Channel amp
- All running off 16ga speaker wire and 4ga power.
- Map lights and Puddle lights replaced with LEDs.

Cons:
The paint looks good from 5 feet away but upon closer inspection there are a few scratches and chips, the rear bumper has a dimple in the paint, the hood has a tiny dent from a rock, and the front bumper is starting to have cracks in the paint and has a few scuffs."

With under 100k miles and being listed at $14,000 with a clean title and never been in an accident (although it has been raced a few times) I got the seller to come down to $12,000 plus he will take care of taxes.

My ultimate concerns are the modifications that have occurred (and the exhaust is a lil loud) Many people have told me to stay away from any modified engine. On the other hand, I have mechanics that have told me it's not a big mod and all it does it help with overall performance.

With all the modifications in mind and mileage, is this a good deal for the price ($12,000) ? I cannot seem to find any other versions of G35 Coupe's with under 100k for less than $15,000 (been researching for 2 months)

Any and all advice is extremely helpful as this is my first Infiniti purchase and am trying to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Thanks again!

CBUB
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35X Sedan

Nay... no coupe should be an automatic. It's manual transmission or else buy a 4-door. imho... automatic coupes seems like a waste of all that potential performance.

tnobull
Car: 2005 Infiniti G35

While I agree with better performance with manual, I prefer automatic due to always owning automatics. I'm asking if this particular vehicle is a good deal for the price, mileage and if the mods sound good. No matter if four door or two door, Infiniti or Pinto, I just prefer automatic.

CBUB
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35X Sedan

fair enough... I'm biased because I've owned a lot of manual's over the years. Now I'm driving an automatic... it's a different experience....sigh....

As for the price, it actually looks pretty reasonable. For him to come down to $12,000 is surprising since the mods probably cost a fair amount. That said, honestly, I'd pass on this car. The fact that he has "raced" it means it was driven hard and probably abused. Plus all the modifications done to it add an unknown element. If I were you, I'd go for a clean, unmodified version of this car and then add on as I see fit...you're probably better off. The only way I would buy this car is if I personally knew the man and the complete history of this car.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”