92 240SX coupe build thread 350z swap

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
donandal
Car: 92 240SX, 2008 350Z, homebuilt roadster

This is the build thread for a project dreamed up by my oldest son, Allen
I had spent the previous four years building from scratch, a custom two seat aluminum body roadster with a Subaru 2.5 five speed all wheel drive. He got the build bug. He wanted to do an engine swap into a 240SX. We decided to try to find one. After about a year, he located this rust-free original paint coupe in Miami, Fla. We made a road trip all-nighter from Miami about two years ago in February, 2009. While he was searching for the car, he decided on the vq35 engine swap. We went to work locating a donor car for the swap. I found this 2008 350Z on an insurance auction website about 3 months later, in Salem, Mass. My wife and I made the round trip in a day, hauling it back on a rented car hauler trailer, to my shop in Lakewood, N.Y.
After we got it home and looked at it, we decided it had so many things that would work in the 240SX coupe, that we would do a lot more swapping. It has been about two years now and the swapping is done. We ended up using the 350Z engine, tranny (six speed), clutch master cylinder, steering column, entire dash, rear diff and entire wiring harness and emissions system.
We started by stripping the S13 down to the sheet metal, cataloging all the parts as they came off. Then we started rough fitting components just by eye, to see how things lined up. First was the engine fitting; it was pretty tight, but it fit, we decide early on to remove the top cross-member above the radiator and fabricate bolt flanges to make it easy to get it in and out. The engine mount cross-member needed to be modified by cutting, lowering and re-welding to use the original Z engine mounts. We also fabricated a new tranny mount, and reworked the rear diff sub frame to use the Z limited slip with 95-98 five bolt hubs and custom axles from the Drive Shaft shop. They also supplied a custom driveshaft. We looked at the dash and gauges and, thought about the options, and decided to use the entire dash and wiring harness. We used the 240 gas tank and modified it with a second riser and flange to accept the two sending unit harness. We also used all emissions systems. The dash was just a little too wide to fit but we just cut it short and fabricated. The exhaust didn’t fit but with a little chopping and welding it just clears the firewall. We also kept all of the heat/air controls and slipped them into the dash.
Allen wanted to get 265’s under all four corners, and we soon determined we would need to fab our own strut cartridges and coilovers, and rear coilovers as well. Some research on the web, and my son had the info on what struts, springs, shocks, and wheels and tires would work. We made our own camber plates and strut braces as well. There have been a lot of other little things along the way. One thing that we did come to realize was just how many things were compatible from these two cars built 16 years apart. The wiring harness chassis ground points lined up, the bolt pattern and screws on the sending unit were exactly the same, the steering column splines, the axle splines, just a lot of things worked out nice.
We are finishing up the interior now and will probably drive it for a year or so then get it painted. We already painted the engine compartment Millennium Jade, the color he chose. He has plans for a body kit and some other mods later, but we’ll see.
Now I’ll try and post some pics with explanations
this is the day we brought it home
we worked over the winter and pulled everything off
not much left of the Z
the donor car , a 2008 350Z
the cross mount was modified, slots are where engine mounts go, here it is primed with brush on enamel
we also fabricated a new tranny mount using original chassis points
the headers were shortened to clear the firewall
I fabricated this coupler so we could use stock cat converters Image
here it is installed on engine, I added extra heat shields on firewall because it's pretty tight
this shows the stock shifter support, and our shortened steel one
the shifter sits a little farther back
this is the rework of rear subframe to house Z limited slip diff
we reused the z rubber mount and added a brace that will also carry exhaust hanger, as shown above. These two
show the bottom side as we worked on it
since we are using all of the Z wiring we decided to keep both sending units in the tank
one is also the fuel pump unit, here fitting it to spare tire area, it will be soldered and then sealed
closing off the spare tire area, this top will be bolted together in case of service access, no room for spare,
but we can use it for tools and storage
we bought a radiator from Griffen, and built our own shroud from .060 aluminum, used 350Z fans
we also built a radiator overflow tank
making our cold air intakes
this will be capped off on top, air draws from front, we used dry type cone filters, the box is sealed around
the tube with foam rubber to allow engine shake, air can only enter tube thru filter end,even if foam wears out
Allen wanted to get 265/40/17s on all four corners, to get enough clearance we fabricated our own strut
housings with about 1 inch more offset at the lower ears
we also made our own threaded coilover converions
we ended up with about 3/8 " tire clearance
we used koni shocks and struts, the rears are an eclipse model,with adjustment at the top, same as the front
our camber plates, stainless steel with 5/8 spherical bearing and a 1 and 15/16" thrust bearing. with our custom
spring top hat , we tucked the spring in above the tire
no room for the battery
here you can see the strut tower braces.....
so it went in the trunk in this sealed and vented stainless battery box we made. the vent goes out the cabin vent
panel in the rear wheel well area of the trunk
the other side of the trunk, this protects the stereo amp and radio/phone/antennae components
we needed to protect that low sitting aluminum oil pan
so we built this skid plate, the mesh is painted stainless steel
some work on the interior, I am building the center console
fitting it to the Z dash
after I covered it in black vinyl
here is the headliner, I recovered it with headliner material that had a foam backing, that is the Z mirror

This just about brings it up to date...the carpet is in and I am installing the seat belts...two side panels of the
dash need to be fabricated and covered in vinyl...package tray needs to be covered...I'll post more pics shortly
I have hundreds of photos so if something strikes your interest and you want more details on something,
let me know
Thanks

http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... X%20build/
If I did this correctly, this should link to the build photos of the 350Z swap into
the 240SX
It was in order but photobucket put them in random
I'll get to sorting later
Last edited by donandal on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

This really should go in 240sx gen.

How ever. This is an amazing build. Everything great about a 350z into an s-chassis. I hate driving 350z's its nothing but a blind spot, S13 however is perfect.

TroubleBound
Car: 1992 240SX Hatch

Welcome to Nico
You should sort them first, and then add some text so we know what is going on. Pull the pics and put them in your thread instead of linking to your photobucket. And this is General Chat, you'll probably be wanting to post this in hurr 240sx-180sx-silvia-forum.html

And i agree very nice build sir

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

Got your PM, edited the title. This is a build thread and when your ready I can put in on the sticky
s-chassis-build-thread-list-t441933.html

badbob2121
Car: 92 S13 Hatch ELLIS JUAN, 12 Mustang GT RTR

wow, looks great

you should post the img codes here, this thread will get more love if you do

and i really want to see more interior pics....please....

donandal

Thanks guys
I wasn't sure if I could put it into that 240sx build thread
or if it need to be put there by the moderator after it was reviewed
my bad....sorry
I plan on adding comments to the pics as soon as possible
thank you

Speckid4
Car: 1995 240sx
1993 240sx

Very sexy, love all the fab work. Nice job!

donandal

thanks
I just wish I knew more of this computer stuff
I suck at it ,but I'm trying to get better
I'm trying to sort and update

Speedy7_7
Car: 2002 IS300 And 2008 Nissan Versa

I bow to you sir, Well done. I love fabrication.

Rays240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx and G35 coupe

interesting build...are you planning on using the 350z seats in the 240?

DanThaMan
Car: 1993 240sx

:fap: Fab skills are pretty damn good!

donandal

Thank you for your comments
Actually,I tried to talk my son into using them, I could certainly
modify the tracks/mounts... but he thinks he wants aftermarket seats
He doesn't think he would like leather seats in Florida.... but i think they
are sweet..... we'll see ...... right now I've got them posted for sale
any thoughts on leather seats in hot climate... I've never had leather..
these are perforated leather.... is that any better in hot weather?

Razi
Car: Moo

Woot!
Glad you made your build thread.
This is amazing!

I imagine perforated leather would let your skin breathe a bit more and be less sticky than regular leather during those sweaty months.

Loving the work, keep it up! :D

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

Wow way legit

bersh240

i think this build is awsome enough for my 1000th post.

love the way no premade install stuff was used.
def waiting for finished pics

donandal

We tried to do this on a budget...... so we tried to make what we could... the donor car cost about
6500 bucks, but with all we used from it, it was a good deal.. only paid 2800 for the car...I set the shop
up over the last 10 years with used machines and what not, so we had a good place to do it...and my son wanted
to learn some stuff about fabricating...he is the one doing all the research on the car and swap before we
started,and he got all the info on shocks,wheels,tires,springs lowering etc. he even got to do some tig welding...check out the fan shroud picture...I'll try to get some pics in when we get something more done

HerePiggyPiggy
Car: A turbo'd piggy

i'll trade you my art skills for your fab skills. :yesnod

coupdie
Car: 89 coupe

Awesome build! only time ive ever done a z swap into a s13 was in forza haha, you mentioned him in this car in florida? is he coming down here when the cars done or is it being built here now, i would very much love to see it in person.

donandal

I could us a little artistic help... my other project car needs a paint scheme....
you'll see that soon on another build thread
The car is here in my shop in New York, and I'm not sure when he'll be taking
it back to Forida..... probably a year or two

donandal

Recently finished the seat belt conversion so here are some pics
I made a stainless steel backing plate that has two threaded bungs that I fed up
behind the side panel, then bolted a polished stainless guide for the seat belt to the side pillar
the plastic was notched on the top post section for clearance
the top mount just needed an acurate hole cut and a spacer made to bring the guide out flush
with the plastic
the top has a black plastic cover that is snapped on later
The bottom belt end bolted to the factory rear hole used for the old lap belt
the interior is finished now except for two filler panels at the side of the dash

now I'm back on the inner fender for the front wheels, and some fender rolling...

cassa_bx
Car: 96 vq'd s14, 88 vw jetta coupe

nice fab work. it took me almost 2yrs to do my s14 vq swap and i'm almost done.

nevertheless
Car: 1993 240sx hatch
1995 Nissan D21

WAS...Wow, Awesome, Subscribed.

1KleenS13

You pretty handy with the steel. Fab work is top notch. What do you do for a living?

Hoffman5982
Car: '95 sr20det 240sx

Wow, your son must really like the 240 to go through all of this work to turn it into a 350z. Ya'll have done excellent work and I look forward to seeing more pictures/progress. I hope to be able to do stuff like this if/when I have a son.

donandal

I am a 737 Captain for Continental Airlines...
been flying for them for 26 years
but when I was a kid ,I worked at a tool and die shop,
started there sweeping floors in high school... and since then
I've loved working with machines

krash
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

AMAZING fab work. This build is awesome

CJH
Car: S13

Unbelievably amazing

fiznowler
Car: 97 240sx se, 5 speed, paint, tan leather interior. vg30dett swap in progress.
86 300zx NA Daily Driver
Too many other nissans and parts to list!

Man... That is a sick build. I love how clean all the the custom stuff is. It is 100% bad@ss!!

simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

Amazing work, but depressing to me since you did this the hardest possible way. Why is it that no one makes VQ swap build threads using the McKinney Motorsport kit?! And who is providing wiring services for this swap besides the questionably reputed Z-Fever?!

*sigh*

Lobo240sx
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe SR2.35DET Redtop Build

That intake is str8 boss son!! :cool:

Return to “240sx General Discussion”