Broken Side Differential Shaft Bolts

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
KRClimber
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35x

Hi All - brand new to the forum - thanks for letting a newbie ask about this. I have an '06 G35x. had engine replaced about 3 months ago after it was driven with bad oil pump.

Used engine had 64k. Two days ago, as I was backing out of the driveway, I hear loud banging. Lift it and see left front axle has come off and I find two sheared bolts on the splash shield. Tow it to mechanic who did the engine replacement, figuring that the bolts snapped because they weren't torqued properly or maybe he used non-spec bolts?

He takes a look and tells me that it has "fog play" which he defines as a little play in the side differential shaft. He says he is 100% sure that the bolts sheared because of the play. I'd like to believe him - he is a good guy in my opinion - Here's my question: is it possible that the bolts sheared for another reason and that, as a result of that, the play was created? Or, is he right and I should just pony up for the repair? It just seems really coincidental to me that after 2000 miles on the replaced engine this would happen. Love to hear any input, especially from Infiniti mechanic with any experience with this. Thanks!

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Could have sheared because of play or because they weren't torqued properly when installed.

KRClimber
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35x

Thanks RED_DET All of the bolts were sheared, none loosened out before they sheared. Hard to tell which it is I guess.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”