brand new owner of G35- have some questions

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
ottawag35
Car: 2006 G35

hey everyone, i just bought a 2006 G35 yesterday...first performance car and absolutley love it! .the body is in mint condition but the dealership doesn't have any service record from the previous owner so my question is: what should i get done first? am thinking change the auto tranny fluid, diff fluid and power steering and have a rad flush. Oil change was done last week. Is there anything else you would recommend? car has 120,000 km on it.Should i take it to the local Nissan/Infiniti dealer for these items?

Thanks for your help and look forward to being paet of the club.....

Gilley

You can go to an Infiniti dealer and they can print out the service records if the service was done at an Infiniti dealer.

The fluid changes you suggest are reasonable.

I would recommend doing those fluid changes yourself or taking it to a local shop that you trust. The labor rates at the Infiniti dealer are quite high.

If you flush the coolant system, make sure the shop is aware of the proper refill procedure and that there is an air relief valve near the battery compartment. Otherwise, air pockets can form that may cause overheating problems or for the heater in site to not work.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I agree with Gilley, and welcome to NICO. Call up the dealer and see if anything was confirmed done. I just bought an 07 G35S and luckily mine is very well maintained, basically nothing needs done.

I wouldn't plan on anything being done recently, and with 120k kms on the car, I'd just plan on doing everything... Engine oil, PS fluid, brake fluid, AT fluid, and rear diff. If you're a reasonable DIYer you can knock all that stuff out in a day. If the car needs brakes sometime fairly soon, I'd just wait and do the brake fluid at the same time as the brake job. Brake fluid is a lot more important than people think.

At 120k, might not be a bad idea to drop the pan on the trans and clean the pan out real good..

ottawag35
Car: 2006 G35

Thanks for the adviuce guys...one other question - does it need a specifc type of tranny fluid and diff fluid? reading some of the posts on this forum i see mention of Nissan J-matic as the only approved tranny fluid.....is this the case or will any high quality fluid do ? can i use reg oil or does it need to be synthetic?..... always change my oil every 5K so not sure using syth will make that much differnce..

TX again for your help :)

Gilley

You must use Nissan Matic S, which replaced Matic J. I usually dran about 4 quarts into a large measuring cup and refill with the exact amount of new fluid. I do that every oil change until I go thru a case of 12 quarts of fluid.

You can get the fluid at a Nissan dealer but prices vary so call around to get the best price in your area.

You can use conventional or synthetic oil in 5w-30. 5quarts even.

You can use conventional or synthetic differential fluid too. It's really easy to replace. Chou will need 2 quarts.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I believe you want to use the specific Nissan stuff, but I've heard both sides of the story. I suggest you do a little research and make your own judgement, but note that you can't go wrong with the Nissan fluid.

Gilley

The Nissan transmission fluid is the only fluid required by Nissan. You can use whatever else you want for oil, brake fluid, etc. the manual cautions that internal damage to the tranny can occur if you use something other than Matic S.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”