Brake Rotors

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
PGrated

Hey everyone!!

I'm trying to get some recommendations for basic brake rotors for all 4 corners on my 04 G35X. I really don't need slotted or cross drilled (at least I don't think I do). I want something that will last awhile and give me good stopping ability.

It seems like people here seem to go with the OEM rotors pretty often. It seems like they can be used through a couple of brake pad changes with resurfacing between them. I was thinking of using either Project MU NS pads or Hawk HPS pads with them.

Any thoughts??

pg

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

Well, the factory rotors 40206-AM800 and pads D1060-AM80B, are soft brakes, excellent braking power, but the only problem is they are a little bit squeeky after a few weeks. If you clean them they stay quiet. They wear out between 18 and 30,000mi depending on driving habits. They need to be replaced when they are below .886". if they are above .89 you can resurface them safely. The rears are 43206-8H702 rotors and 44060-CB10J pads. These are the factory numbers for all 03-04 Auto Coupes and all 03-04 Sedans, and 05 AWD sedans only. They should sell for $240 to $290 for front sets, whole.

Prices and participation may vary. See Dealer for details. Not Available in all countries. No tax applies to Delaware residents and diplomats, criminals and wholesalers. Drive safely and obey all traffic signals. Drink responsibly. Infiniti rules.

PGrated

That's exactly what I have found with the OEM brakes, they do have good stopping power, but they do get a bit squeaky after time. I have needed to replace the fronts about every 20,000 and the rear went a bit longer.

So, I guess the question is, should I stay with OEM pads or consider different brake pads like the Hawks or Project Mu's?? Will I get better wear with the same stopping ability?? I know everyone complains about the brake dust with the OEM's too. So, less brake dust would be nice...but I don't want to compromise stopping ability either.

Then the question is the rotors too...Stay OEM???

Thanks for the help!!

PG

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

You're in a bad spot. See, almost all pads (quality ones) that are sold for it, Hawk, ap, etc... last 10,000 miles longer, less dust, but diminish stopping power. Not much. between 4 and 10 feet from 60 to 0. Of course, thats the difference between a near miss and a watery grave, depending on where you decide to test your brakes. oceanside piers aren't recommended. Anyway, The factory rotors are usually kept from what I've seen, since they don't have much wrong with them. I've been told by many people that hawk pads are good. Whats important is your satisfaction though. Its worth a shot to try at least pads only, see how you like them...

KY3TS
Car: G35 6MT COUPE

I just put Hawk ceramic pads with slotted rotors on my G coupe (brembo brakes).I will let you know how they perform, after I put some miles on them.

PGrated

My personal feeling is exactly what you mentioned: a few feet can make a significant difference, especially with the traffic I deal with on a daily basis here in NJ. Brakes are a major safety system to the car. With wife and kids constantly in the car, their safety is primary. So if it means doing brakes a bit more often, so be it. I'll do some looking around to see what people have said too about stopping distances with aftermarket pads...I don't remember off hand what kind of comments were made about them.

thanks poyzinous for the help.

KY3TS; I will keep an eye out to see how you fare with the new brakes. Thanks!!

pg

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Braking is primarily from tires so when a a pad compound increases distance you may be adding CYCLES to ABS system due to a mismatch between expected friction curve and new friction curve.

Each ABS cycle can add 1/10th of a second or ~ 2-3% [3-4 feet] in distance.A tire is about 6.5 feet in circumference so ABS cycle is ~ 1/2 a revolution.

Data monitoring [counting] ABS cycles from a 60-80 mph panic stop is an excellant method to compare brake pad mods for those that don't want to measure distances precisely.

Always check tire rack for their 50 mph wet panic braking distances on individual tires as few realize that their can be a 25 foot variation between same sizes in different brands on same vehicle.

Wet braking is more important that dry distance in most accidents.

PGrated

Is there anywhere to see data showing cycles on abs systems comparing different brake setups as opposed to the OEM setup??But, you're right, data like that can be quite useful in doing comparisons on brake mods.

pg

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

I hated the OEM rotors. Too many issues.

http://www.ocautosports.com

You can buy some x drilled/slotted rotors here. They are cheap and hold up well.

+1 for the Project MU NS pads.

Hawk HPS are good...but i think you'll like the Project MU better.

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”