Brake lights STAY ON...I can't find the pedal switch to inspect..help!!

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
s13_240_rb20
Car: 1990 240sx RB20DET

I've got a 1990 240sx hatch with a RB20DET swap that has a weird problem...I just noticed that my brake lights are continuously lit up (yes, the 2 in each tail AND the high-mount center).

I've checked the FSM (http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/1989/1989.pdf) and on page EL-46 I see that "STOP LAMP SWITCH" M23 is the only thing between the tail lamp fuse and the tail lamps. I've pulled the fuse and the lights go out, so I am 99% sure that there is nothing wrong with the wiring because the lights are dependant on the fuse (so there is no short providing continuous power).

Anyways, I want to replace the STOP LAMP SWITCH M23 but I've looked at my brake pedal and couldn't seem to spot it. Can anyone post a pic of that switch or atleast tell me how to locate it?? Once I can find it, I will then need to replace it, so does anyone know how to acquire such a random part??

Thanks,

--TJ

vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

stop lamp switch for a 240

zerothread?id=272469

Modified by vancouverbc at 2:07 PM 8/14/2008

Foneman38

There's probably nothing wrong with the switch. If you look at the brake pedal, and follow the brake pedal arm up, you'll find the switch located under the dash where the pedal arm should contact it. Unfortunately, Nissan decided to place a small plastic plug in the brake pedal arm where the switch makes contact with it, and the plastic plug tends to deteriorate over time and fall out, causing your brake lights to remain on. I installed a nut and bolt through this hole, and readjuste the switch. No more brake light problems

engineperson
Car: 91' Nissan 240sx coupe Ka24De

Foneman38 wrote:There's probably nothing wrong with the switch. If you look at the brake pedal, and follow the brake pedal arm up, you'll find the switch located under the dash where the pedal arm should contact it. Unfortunately, Nissan decided to place a small plastic plug in the brake pedal arm where the switch makes contact with it, and the plastic plug tends to deteriorate over time and fall out, causing your brake lights to remain on. I installed a nut and bolt through this hole, and readjuste the switch. No more brake light problems
yah, thats exactly what happened to me, except I use some wire mesh and a bunch a bubble gum (still works)

youngmoney
Car: 93 240sx SE

ive been looking and cant find it. how far is it up the arm? how do you even access it? my hand wont go up too far. any help would be appreciated!

Second Shadow
Car: 93' 240sx, s13 blacktop sr20det

it's pretty far up there. my advise; recline the seat, then lay down in it upside down so your head is resting under the pedals and you're looking at them from underneath. since they're on the opposite side from where you're sitting, you can't really see the switches unless you get a mirror or your head almost on the pedals.

youngmoney

thats what i was doing. is the part that needs replacing on the same side of the pedals or on the firewall?

Second Shadow

here you can see the switches, above the steering column.
back side of the pedal arm, the 2 nuts and bolts in the picture have replaced the plastic pieces and are pushing on the switches. if you look at your pedals, what you should see is the break arm, with one or two empty holes, and the push switches going right through them, not being actuated.

youngmoney

thank you! another one of those time i wish nico had +rep

Second Shadow

one quick note: if what ever you plug them with is thick, you might have to adjust the threaded fork. if your solution keeps the break pedal from being at its original resting position, your break booster won't open enough to allow vacuum to be relieved, and after a couple miles of driving your breaks will slowly lock on you.

they will stay that way until you pop the hood and pull the break booster vacuum line off, then it will be fine for another couple of miles but it will keep doing it until you adjust the pedal.

youngmoney

thanks for the tip! i will definitely remember that when i go to fix it haha

youngmoney

i looked again today and still could really find what i was looking for. you think you could edit one or both of those pics with arrows?? i feel like a complete idiot just asking. its bad enough theres a problem. its even worse that i cant even find it!!

youngmoney

bumppp

zenkistic
Car: 96 240 SE

I think that is what he is talking about.

ryandevilhorns

Bump because this thread solved my problem.
My solution was to insert one of the plastic plugs from the rear carpeted area into the hole and allow the sensor to be engaged.

I have a couple of pictures and my solution on my site here: http://givemeshred.com/brakelights-dont-work-why/

nannattack
Car: 2000 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD

I had the same problem but used some electrical tape and paper folded severa times to create a wall so the activator would get pushed in. It been over a year and no problems so far.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”