Brake lights not working...

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Jenna Bonbon
Car: '96 Nissan Maxima

Hello Friends!

I have a small issue with my 96 Nissan Maxima. Long story sorta short, my battery died so I had a friend come and jump it. I'm pulling out of a side street next to a grocery store and some jerk whips out in front of me. I didn't put it in neutral or push in the clutch and my poor baby died again. My friend and I push my car out of the middle of the road to jump it again and he's so cleverly pushing the spoiler instead of trunk. Yep, he broke it.... We jump it again and on the way home my spoiler flies off, barely missing the car behind me, thank god! Now, my brake lights won't come on. The tail lights, turn signals, and crap still work just fine. All of my fuses are still good and he said the switch is good too. My spoiler had an LED brake light on it, I'm not sure what's going on. I just kinda want to be able to drive my poor car again. Brake lights are kinda important. I'm a newb and really don't know much besides the basics I learned while working at Walmart's Tire and Lube Express.

My friend's dad is a mechanic and learned a bunch of crap from him while working in his shop. He spent a couple of hours checking things to see if he could find the problem, to no avail. Guess he's only in the business of breaking things, lol. Any insights you can give me would be super helpful. A buddy of mine mentioned the wiring harness... I don't even know how to check that :blush: I just kinda wished I'd known this was going to happen, I've been unable to drive my car for a month now... the day before it happened I'd renewed my title and registration and insurance. Totally, just my luck. haha. thanks for putting up with my newbiness!

~Jenna

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Welcome to NICO.

If the brake fuse checks ok, I believe you'll need to fix the wiring for the brake light that was in the spoiler to complete the circuit. Wiring diagrams are on page EL-64,65. http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/1996/EL.pdf

We were all noobs at one point.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”