Brake light won't turn off, dead battery, can't jump, what now?

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
thataznguy34
Car: 92 240sx

Edit: forgot to mention I have a 91-92 240sx.

I'd like to preface all of this by saying I have next to no knowledge about cars but I am pretty handy with a Google search. The only thing I know about cars is how to drive one and thats pretty much it.

Here's the timeline:12 noon: notice brake lights are on even though keys aren't in ignition. Enter vehicle and attempt to fully depress and extend the brake pedal multiple times, no effect.

1pm: Google leads me here, a few searches later, leads me to looking on the driver side floor for broken pieces of the little plastic knob that depresses the brake light switch. Find it in 5 pieces. With no tools, unable to tape a penny onto the hole that the brake light switch goes into, brake light could not be turned off.

7pm: Get off work. Check on car, brake lights are off now, but battery is completely drained. Can't drive home. Ask friend to come try to jumpstart my car. Hooks batteries up, friend's car in neutral, revs it for a while, I try to start my car. Car starts to turn over but will not start.

As I know absolutely nothing about cars, I have no idea what to do now. I have no tools. Is my only option replacing the battery? What happens after I replace the battery since the brake light is still gonna be on?

Thanks for any help in advance!

thataznguy34

Any help?

safin

zer...age=1

replace that, you must have some kind of short, blown fuse....... hard to guess

start with what you know is broken, then google again, then ask nico for help. good luck

welcome to nico! post pics of your ride etc etc, and intro all that

thataznguy34

Thanks alot buddy, I'll try some of those tips tomorrow when I have my girlfriend drive me to my car in the morning.

yessir240
Car: s14 zenki

Before you go off buying parts take a look at what you have. Get down in the floor board, with a flashlight if you have to, and look at the brake pedal arm. Make sure the rubbe grommet that depresses the brake light switch is there alot of times esp on s13s they just dry up and crumble apart and then there is a hole left. With nothing to depress the brake light switch your brake lights will stay on until the batt dies. This exact same thing happened to me a few months back I found the grommet in 2 pieces on the floor. I just glued a dime over the hole. Try that.

steeda763
Car: '91 S13 SR-Coupe, '96 BMW M3, '95 525iT

How long are you waiting to start the car while it's charging on jumper cables? If your battery is completely drained it will take a while, especially if your friend's alternator is weak or on its way out.

placham
Car: 1992 Geo Prizm (4AFE)---Gone
1990 Nissan 240sx Coupe (RB20DET powered),
1994 Toyota Celica GT (3SGTE swapped), 1995 Nissan 240sx KA24DE,
2011 Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V

I see, your talking about brake light as in stop lights. At first I thought he was talking about lights on dash board.

But that makes sense if your brake lights are stuck on, this will discharge your battery. it's like if you were in the car holding brake pedal down.

Make sure if your switch is good, you should be able to hold it with your finger and have someone check if they go off.

Do what others mentioned above, check to see if the "grommet" is there.

GL

2ndnissan
Car: 1990 240sx hatch

one side note..Advise about the grommet is right on..If you have a 5 spd you might try push starting the car...have someone elses push yours . You start off in neutral and when you hit about 15 mph,move shifter to second(make sure key is in start position. ) Car should start right up. If it was just the brakes lights that killed it, the alternator should build the battery back up after driving it a bit. ...My daughter had to do this twice for me when my grommet broke...

srpowered240sx
Car: 90 240sx-sr, 92 F-150, 00 bmw 323ci, 1991 s13 coupe, 99 F250 Dsl

step one, get one of these from the parts store, make sure its the right size for the hole in the brake arm lever.

then get a new battery or just charge yours on a charger, and you should be fine. any questions?

Donkey Kong
Car: 240

srpowered240sx wrote:step one, get one of these from the parts store, make sure its the right size for the hole in the brake arm lever.

then get a new battery or just charge yours on a charger, and you should be fine. any questions?
that's what i did i had to have someone push the brake peddle down for me so i could push the clip in

steeda763
Car: '91 S13 SR-Coupe, '96 BMW M3, '95 525iT

The little rubber brake switch stopper is less than a dollar at Nissan.

Funny thing when I went to buy mine was that when I showed up to the parts counter to inquire and order the part, the service representative had one in his hand. I started talking, looked down, and asked, "Hey can I buy that?" He said, "Sure." Then later on the same day I found $10 at the grocery store.

placham
Car: 1992 Geo Prizm (4AFE)---Gone
1990 Nissan 240sx Coupe (RB20DET powered),
1994 Toyota Celica GT (3SGTE swapped), 1995 Nissan 240sx KA24DE,
2011 Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V

steeda763 wrote:The little rubber brake switch stopper is less than a dollar at Nissan.

Funny thing when I went to buy mine was that when I showed up to the parts counter to inquire and order the part, the service representative had one in his hand. I started talking, looked down, and asked, "Hey can I buy that?" He said, "Sure." Then later on the same day I found $10 at the grocery store.
WINWINWINWINWINWINWIN

Return to “240sx General Discussion”