Brake caliper advice needed...1988 Maxima 58K

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
lowpost99
Car: 88' Nissan Maxima V6 3.0L 58K mi. previous owner was ma dukes, she's all mine now, and is still in pretty good mechanical shape.

Please forgive me if I missed this somewhere else in my search. I did search the entire site for "caliper rebuild" and just could not get a great example of how to deal with these knurl-in type pistons.
I've recently inherited my mother's 1988 Nissan Maxima automatic that has only 58K mi. on it and it is in overall "good" mechanical condition, and "fair" body condition. When I got it the brake lights would not go off, and the RR rotor was making a loud scraping noise, which I assumed was the pad sensor. So I tried adjusting the brake light switch, and this didn't get the light out, so I removed/disconnected it. I went to replace the pads, and long story short, I think the brake light and the scraping sound may have been a seized piston, as the pads were plenty thick and the scraping could not have been the sensor.

Now I need help with deciding to rebuild the rear, twist-in type of calipers, or find compatible(s) at a junkyard, or just buy new or better ones. I could use some instructions/advice, but I think the dust boot and square-cut seal, should be replaced, just don't haven't found much instruction yet on replacing the other components in the bore like the smaller seals, etc.

Thanks in advance!

tigersharkdude
Car: 1999 Nissan Maxima

Here is a kit. It doesnt include the piston though
http://www.carpartswholesale.com/v5/?N= ... partfinder

As for instructions. Possibly try to find a haynes or chilton manual. I cant find anything on a 2nd gen caliper rebuild

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”